New Contract Another year for Christian Fuchs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
https://www.lcfc.com/news/1212770/c...icester-city-contract-extension/press-release

Leicester City defender Christian Fuchs has extended his contract with the Football Club until the end of the 2019/20 Premier League season.

The popular 33-year-old Austrian has been a significant figure for the Foxes since his arrival from Germany in the summer of 2015, going on to make 118 appearances in Leicester City colours at left-back.

His performances and reliability endeared him to City supporters as he played a key role in both Leicester City’s 2015/16 Premier League title win and subsequent UEFA Champions League run in 2016/17.

Speaking to LCFC.com, Fuchs said: “I’m thrilled to be signing a new one-year deal with Leicester City Football Club. It’s an exciting time for everyone, with a new training ground being built and some fantastic young talent coming through.

“Our ambition is to play good football and continue to improve. The Club and our fans have always been great with me and I want to give back as much as possible. I can’t wait to see what next season brings for this Football Club!”

Fuchs, a former captain of his native Austria with 78 caps at international level, played for five seasons in the German Bundesliga in the colours of FSV Mainz and Schalke before heading to City on a free transfer.

He has scored several stunning goals for the Foxes – including memorable strikes against Crystal Palace and Fleetwood Town – as well as providing a number of assists. The most notable of those came from a ‘no-look’ pass for Jamie Vardy to complete his record goal scoring feat against Manchester United in 2016.

Alongside his performances on the pitch, Fuchs has earned a place in the hearts of City fans through his willingness to engage on social media and appetite for taking part in the Club’s many community initiatives during his time as a Fox.

Great stuff. Seems like a good influence to have around the club and perfectly adequate as cover at LB.

Weird one as I thought he had decided to move to the USA and try out as an NFL player.

Good news for us though, decent back up.

Weird, I thought it was pretty much confirmed over a year ago he'd be leaving.

Happy to keep him around as a good influence around the club and helping the young players, but I hope we don't have to rely on him for any stretch next season as I felt like his legs were gone even last year.

Maybe keeping him around in case Chilwell leaves...?

If Chilwell leaves we'll need to sign a replacement.
Fuchs is useful to have on the bench, but I don't think he's good enough to play regularly now.

Yeah, agreed. I was thinking more that if Fuchs left now AND we sell Chilwell, we'd be needing to sign 2 left backs - one only as a backup.

So they might be thinking keep Fuchs around as the backup in case we let Chilwell go, then we'd only need to sign new first choice.

If he’s fit enough to play when we need him then he’s as good a backup to Chilwell as we could hope for. It’s so important to have experienced, respected and well liked characters like him and Morgan around the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757