Apostrophe question

Status
Not open for further replies.

spionfox

In a shop, the Manager wants to advertise an item he/she has on offer.

Does the header of the signage say:
a - MANAGERS SPECIAL
b - MANAGER'S SPECIAL
c - MANAGERS' SPECIAL

This is a serious question!

Thanks.

b

No. Common misusage does not make it right. the correct option is (b), assuming that it is a special being promoted by a manager. Option (c) would be correct if the special is being promoted by the managers. Option (a) would NEVER be correct.

Albeit that is (probably) correct, would I be right in saying that 'common usage' would allow for option 1 to be acceptable instead?

Only if you want Bill Bryson to call you a linguistic Neanderthal.

In a shop, the Manager wants to advertise an item he/she has on offer.

Does the header of the signage say:
a - MANAGERS SPECIAL
b - MANAGER'S SPECIAL
c - MANAGERS' SPECIAL

This is a serious question!

Thanks.

I'm afraid that as a linguistic cripple i would say 1. Surely though the common usage of the apostrophe is to replace a letter that would normally reside there, so is b therefore incorrect?

I'm afraid that as a linguistic cripple i would say 1. Surely though the common usage of the apostrophe is to replace a letter that would normally reside there, so is b therefore incorrect?

Some apostrophes replace a missing letter or letters. Others indicate 'possession'. Here an apostrophe is used to indicate that the 'SPECIAL' is that of the 'MANAGER' - the apostrophe indicates possession.

if it's your promotion then....

The manager's a special

HTH

:)

Last edited:
I once saw "at the managers descretion" on the back of a menu in quite an expensive pub, which was part of a chain. That's the sort of thinhg that makes me wonder if the battle to save the apostrophe has already been lost!

The apostrophe in "manager's special" is replacing missing letters: the phrase used to be "the manager, his special"

Those were my thoughts too. It's a damning illustration of where we're heading as a civillisation that we need to debate these things.

I'm afraid i don't agree. By the looks of the psople posting none of us are thck (BM posssibly but as yet unconfirmed :icon_bigg).

We are all old enough to understand better than people currently being spat out of the education system, i just can't remember which one in this case is correct.

Clearly though 'B' is correct.

I'm afraid i don't agree. By the looks of the psople posting none of us are thck (BM posssibly but as yet unconfirmed :icon_bigg).

We are all old enough to understand better than people currently being spat out of the education system, i just can't remember which one in this case is correct.

Clearly though 'B' is correct.

:icon_eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48