Speculation Arsenal Youngsters

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about: http://arsenalyouth.wordpress.com/2011/08/29/arsenals-webb-and-smith-join-leicester/?

N
ot exactly official but I suspect that's where it came from.

Two of Arsenal’s second year scholars, Callum Webb and Steven Smith, have left the club to join Leicester City.
Defensive-minded midfielder Webb, who is a Republic of Ireland youth international, made 27 appearances for the under-18s, scoring twice, and also made two substitute appearances for the Reserves last season.
Smith, meanwhile, has opted to join Leicester following a trial with West Ham earlier in the summer. The versatile Northern Ireland youngster, who can play at centre-back and left-back as well as in midfield, turned out 11 times for Steve Bould’s under-18s last campaign.

Webb and Smith were two of several youngsters who are free to talk to other clubs having not yet been assured of a professional contract at Arsenal when their deals expire at the end of the season. Five members of the considerably large 2010 intake have already turned professional in Martin Angha, Kyle Ebecilio, Elton Monteiro, Zak Ansah and Nigel Neita, and Philip Roberts and Josh Rees are expected to join them shortly, but seven players still remain unsure of their Arsenal futures.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Arsenal Youngaters

Awesome! Mitchell and Webb I love that show. Cracks me up. If we are in the shit we can summon the angels...or dazzle the opposition with BMX skills.

When did we sign Schlupp? I'm wondering because King and Gradel were also both players we signed from other teams at 15/16, rather than really tutored (this word feels like it should have a "u" in it after the "o") ourselves, so I'm scratching my head as to what the academy staff have been doing the past few years, as it seems the only players who come through there are players we sign from other club's academies.

When did we sign Schlupp? I'm wondering because King and Gradel were also both players we signed from other teams at 15/16, rather than really tutored (this word feels like it should have a "u" in it after the "o") ourselves, so I'm scratching my head as to what the academy staff have been doing the past few years, as it seems the only players who come through there are players we sign from other club's academies.

You could argue, what were the other academy staff doing when they release players like King and Gradel without realising their potential. However, I agree, our academy don't seem to produce many top talents in the same way as Southampton seem to for instance.

Says on the Arsenal website that Webb is an excellent passer and energetic, can play as a holding midfielder and out wide if needs be. And that Smith is a powerful player and comfortable on the ball. Can play as a centre back, left back and on the left of midfield

Last edited:

I think we signed him when he was at the age of 11 or 12, and I don't think we signed him from any other professional academy. But don't quote me on it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669