Ashley Giles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its not in doubt that AG has more idea than MP on how to hold a bat but his test batting average is not enough imo to compensate for the lack of threat in his bowling. AG averages 20+ with the bat whilst MP is around 10. Given those stats the extra 10 runs that AG may get is poor reward from Englands perspective for sacrificing a bowler who given the experience could go on to join the games greats. Time for Monty to do his stuff, and time for the king of spain to retire gracefully

Its not in doubt that AG has more idea than MP on how to hold a bat but his test batting average is not enough imo to compensate for the lack of threat in his bowling. AG averages 20+ with the bat whilst MP is around 10. Given those stats the extra 10 runs that AG may get is poor reward from Englands perspective for sacrificing a bowler who given the experience could go on to join the games greats. Time for Monty to do his stuff, and time for the king of spain to retire gracefully

Ashely was underrated from 2002-2004 and if Monty wasn't around there wouldn't even be a debate (unless a debate over whether to play a spinner at all). But it really is time to move on.

The most revealing fact to me is the economy rate. The myth that Giles can tie up an end endures whilst he concedes more runs per over than Monty.

Monty's still shit, just not as shit as Giles

Monty's still shit, just not as shit as Giles

Sorry disagree there Melts. I've not seen an English spin bowler that excites me as much as Monty. He's got something about him and if you look 15 or so years into the future he will be sorely missed on his retirement, and i can't say that about Giles or any other spin bowler we've had. He's the making of a legend imo.

Sorry disagree there Melts. I've not seen an English spin bowler that excites me as much as Monty. He's got something about him and if you look 15 or so years into the future he will be sorely missed on his retirement, and i can't say that about Giles or any other spin bowler we've had. He's the making of a legend imo.
I hope you're right BB, I just don't find him that exciting to watch. Having said that I used to enjoy watching Edmonds and Embury and they were hardly the two most exciting bowlers in the world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00
7Palace00
8Everton00