asp.net question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darth Vodka

hi

if i have an asp.net c# webpage written by someone else and i want to write the same webpage from scratch on another server...

i can probably copy the folder onto the other server and get IIS to point at it

but then if i want to make development changes, I'm ok if it's a simple website and all the files are editable, but proper ones have pre-compiled DLLs

so...what would i need to ask the creator of the website for in order to have all the code available to me?

I'm guessing the orinial website project they did in Visual Studio, plus the projects for all DLLs?

sound reasonable?

I think it's the server control files that he used to compile the DLLs

Unless it's a full CMS, compiling all the code is overkill IMO. It means that any simple text change needs a recompile which will reset the website.

If you get the original project you will be dandy.

Aren't the DLLs just controls to perform a specific task anyway? If you're just redeploying the same site and you have all the files, surely you're good to go as is?

Aren't the DLLs just controls to perform a specific task anyway? If you're just redeploying the same site and you have all the files, surely you're good to go as is?

You are, it's if he wants to change it that he's in difficulties. If only the c# code is compiled then it's not as bad, but still not ideal as he won't be able to change functionality.

You are, it's if he wants to change it that he's in difficulties. If only the c# code is compiled then it's not as bad, but still not ideal as he won't be able to change functionality.

Yeah, I s'pose it all depends on what the controls are designed to do

thanks both. I have no idea what they've done or how, just questions from top brass. It would seem to me they've used DLLs written for us and their own too, but I can't see much in the folder in the server

I agree that it depends on what I want to do as to how happy I'd be with their DLLs. If I want to clone the site onto another server, probably fine, but if I want to own all elements of development, I'd like all the DLL code too

they may well have a CMS, seems likely

thanks

If you import the DLLs into a test project on your PC in Visual Studio, you should be able to see what properties and methods they expose and have a play around with them. I'm pretty sure there must be a way to decompile them, but it isn't something I've ever done. I'll have a google around and report back if I find anything.

If you import the DLLs into a test project on your PC in Visual Studio, you should be able to see what properties and methods they expose and have a play around with them. I'm pretty sure there must be a way to decompile them, but it isn't something I've ever done. I'll have a google around and report back if I find anything.

It's not an easy job at all to decompile them. We used a reflection tool before to see their workings, but can't remember what it was called. I'll ask my old colleagues.

It's not an easy job at all to decompile them.

I thought as much. A buddy of mine is a .NET guru, I'll see if he has any advice when he gets back off his holidays next week. I'll leave him be for the time being though, I doubt he'd appreciate a text while he's sunning himself on a beach in Spain

I thought as much. A buddy of mine is a .NET guru, I'll see if he has any advice when he gets back off his holidays next week. I'll leave him be for the time being though, I doubt he'd appreciate a text while he's sunning himself on a beach in Spain

We used http://www.reflector.net/. It will expose the workings but it's a bugger trying to tie it all together. They are designed to be non-decompilable to protect digital interests I suppose. Technically, Darth may have no rights to the code depending on his contract. Whenever we built sites for people they paid for the site, not the code, so if they moved we would give them the compiled site that was it, though it rarely happened.

thanks guys

not sure where we stand on the intellectual property and whether the IP is the webpage or all code used, but I think I've now got a decent enough understanding of what they have probably used to talk to senior management and tell them where they've probably gone wrong :)

ta again

I had a similar thought myself....if the DLLs behave and do what I expect...there may not be a problem

it's being practical vs being thorough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570