Asp

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you're learning asp IMO I would learn asp.net instead, especially if you have some C# or similar knowledge.

if you're learning asp IMO I would learn asp.net instead, especially if you have some C# or similar knowledge.

ah, good point...i know VBA really well and vb.net looks about the same

i know c# when i see it but haven't built anything in it yet.. i built a connect 4 game in Excel once and i may build it again in c# to teach myself it

ta

If you install Microsoft's Visual Web Developer it will install everything you need to run ASP.NET from your local host and it's an excellent editor imo

If you install Microsoft's Visual Web Developer it will install everything you need to run ASP.NET from your local host and it's an excellent editor imo

If you can get Web Developer 2008, we use 2005 at work and have just started to roll out to 2008 and the speed increase in opening and working with it is huge. I used to regularly have times when if I hada few files open it would freeze on simple tasks like scrolling for 20 seconds.

edit: I realise your link goes to the 2008 version for Darth, but I would upgrade if you haven't already Macks

Last edited:
If you can get Web Developer 2008, we use 2005 at work and have just started to roll out to 2008 and the speed increase in opening and working with it is huge. I used to regularly have times when if I hada few files open it would freeze on simple tasks like scrolling for 20 seconds.

edit: I realise your link goes to the 2008 version for Darth, but I would upgrade if you haven't already Macks

I have yeah.
I didn't make much use of 2005 so hadn't noticed any problems with it to be honest.
I'm seriously considering ditching Dreamweaver for VWD2008 though, especially if I fail to convince the boss to pay up to upgrade me to CS4.

aaaaaaah

yes...got it...magic...wow a lot of stuff for me to learn

ooooof

You used 3.5 and the MVC yet Macky? Started my new job on Monday and got dropped straight onto a new project on which we are utilising the MVC and built in entity models. I know it's in beta but feck me there are some strange quirks in it. Looks like they have taken steps backwards in some cases!

You used 3.5 and the MVC yet Macky? Started my new job on Monday and got dropped straight onto a new project on which we are utilising the MVC and built in entity models. I know it's in beta but feck me there are some strange quirks in it. Looks like they have taken steps backwards in some cases!

I haven't yet no. I thought it looked fairly good from what I've seen, I like that type of separation, hopefully just beta bugs that'll be ironed out

I haven't yet no. I thought it looked fairly good from what I've seen, I like that type of separation, hopefully just beta bugs that'll be ironed out

The seperation is great and works well once you get your head around it (I had only worked on a custom built framework before). The main quirks are:

1) you have a table called tblProfile, you add it to the entity model and it creates an entity class called tblProfile and an entity set call tblProfile, same name gets confusing. If you rename the entity in the diagram to Profile, you get a class Profile and an entity set ProfileSet, so it's either wrong in the first instance with the same name, or the second instance when they are different. I think they should be different.

2) You add two tables linked with a foreign key to the diagram, tblProfile and tblImage, again you rename to Profile and Image in the entity diagram. Even though the classes are created as Profile and Image the relation link is created as oImage.tblProfile, instead of the expected oImage.Profile. You either have to manually rename all of the relationships in the diagram or not prefix your tablenames.

3) If you delete an entity model from the diagram it removes it from the diagram, and removes the relationships, but leaves the reference to the table in the XML behind it. As a result you can't re-add the entity unless you manually open the XML and remove all references to it.

They are all problems with the Entity model creator in VS2008, and are all abundant on the MSDN forums so hopefully will be rectified in the proposed service pack 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47
9Brentford46