Post Match Aston Villa 2 Leicester 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still don’t think we have a set piece problem, hey Brendan?

a few fans were singing ’we want Rodgers out’ on the train on the way back

I am still not convinced that removing Rodgers would do anything to change our problems. Not only am I unable to think of anybody better likely to come in, but we would need to pay him, and possibly the new chap's club, compensation.

Soyuncu has gone from a world class defender to a liability in half a season and Lookman is clearly not the right winger that we need. The rest of our team were pretty good but, you can't play with nine players.

I agree with those suggesting Vestergaard gets a run. The story that I heard was that he wasn't settled and carrying a knock when he first came. If this is true, he should now be able to give his best and, if not, we need a quality central defender to come in January. I know that Fofana will be fit again soon, but after such a long spell out, we must expect it to take time for him to be at his best.

I do not believe there will be funding for a right winger as well, and the defence must be a priority.

I have calmed a little, and I do still hope that Rodgers is able to improve things. But the most worrying thing for me is his own comments.

Until yesterday he denied there was a problem with set pieces. If you can't even identify problems, you cannot be the right person to solve them.

Blaming problems that you do acknowledge on previous management when you have been here as long as Rodgers has is a desperate attempt to deflect, and is just an admission of his own inability to effect change.

Rodgers strongest quality has been his confidence. I believe that it has pushed him to the success he has enjoyed and inspired those around him. Now he has lost it, it is like a millstone dragging him down, and the the team with him, and I sense he is panicking inside.

The most bizarre thing is, what prompted the loss of confidence? We finished last season as FA cup champions and in 5th place, Rodgers himself was being universally praised and being linked with top clubs. I know the injuries effected us, but we had a similar situation last season.

Just watching the highlights. Lovely goal by Harvey.
Theirs is utterly embarrassing from a defensive perspective. Unbelievable.
Just seen the second. Jesus H Jones what has happened to our set piece defending? We look clueless every time the ball is floated in. Far too easy to beat.

Blaming problems that you do acknowledge on previous management when you have been here as long as Rodgers has is a desperate attempt to deflect, and is just an admission of his own inability to effect change.
Yep. It reminds me of the Tories still blaming Labour for a multitude of things. They haven’t been in power since 2010!

Yep. It reminds me of the Tories still blaming Labour for a multitude of things. They haven’t been in power since 2010!
To be fair, Rodgers has only had 100+ games to affect change.

Let's all mark each other, let's all mark each other, la la la la

I think it's fair to say that when Paul Merson is pointing out obvious issues with positioning at set pieces, the issue is beyond simple coaching.

The players are either mentally gone so that they are not carrying out basic instructions (which appears to be what BR said after the game) or they are deliberately not carrying out basic instructions.

If it's the former, BR needs to change some personnel and undertake some basic man management. If it's the latter, we're fecked until it gets bad enough that BR gets sacked.

Good to see that we‘ve been working on man marking in training. Next month we’ll start to focus on actually marking the opponents. It’s important to do these things step by step.

But... We don't know how to attack corners either. So in training are we just working on defending our own rubbish corner attacks?

But... We don't know how to attack corners either. So in training are we just working on defending our own rubbish corner attacks?
We’re probably great at defending them in training, considering how bad we are at attacking them.

I would say attacking at corners is better than last season.

but that isn’t saying much at all.

Stop it Glyn. No room for positivity here - we must replace the manager immediately.

We were better when Maddison wasn't taking them. Still think we are better with two upfront but BR seems to have gone away from playing that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757