Bassett has to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

steady

Hey everyone, a fox in Spain here! New to the site...

Is it just me or is Basset really just a waste of space? ... he failed as a manager here ... has intoduced stupid contracts where many players can leave for nothing ... A club our size does not need a director of football i feel and the sooner he leaves the better!!!

Its not that i dont respect the guy, he has achieved alot and won alot but i feel he should move on...what do you guys think??

(also looks like ferdy is definitly leaving!!! which will leave us with no decent front men...very worrying)

Welcome aboard there chap; and I have to say you bring up an interesting point.

On the one hand I'm sure he has been instrumental in many transfers, but at the end of the day they haven't worked, as good as some of them have been, like Dickov, we still find ourselves back at the start.

A lot will be levied on the fact that we were in administration etc. etc. but I do feel perhaps it may be time to look at his position in the club.

Have to totally disagree. Dave Bassett has been a very important figure at our club. His influence has led to Dickov, Dean, and Freund to name but a few, the reality being that most players who have come through the door in recent history are a result of both Micky and Bassett. It would be absurd to lay the blame for lack of success at the door of either of these two individuals. In fact it is Dave Bassetts connections that give Leicester options in the transfer market. As a club with very little money it is crucial that we have options, without Bassett life would be much harder.

As for saying that he failed us as a manager, again I disagee. I don't think that anyone could have saved the club from the situation that Taylor set in motion...this club was on a one way course to division 1. The players had no spirit or belief. What Bassett did was set the wheels in motion to ensure that Leicester would not be doomed to failure the following season...enter Dickov and Deane, two fan favourates who scored a lot of goals that fired us back into the premiership...hardly poor management! I find it dissapointing that anyone could suggest that it was! :( Bassett also stepped down at the end of the season because he saw that Micky had a lot of talent...a selfish and poor manager would not have done this. Bassett isn't driven by ego, but by a desire to see Leicester succeed.

As for the situation with players leaving both Dave and Micky knew that we were not the most attractive club at the time...many players would not have signed for us without these clauses...It was a necessary risk and unfortunately it didn't pay off because we got relegated. If we had avoided the drop everyone would be calling Bassett and Micky legends. Mistakes have been made and lessons learned...slaging off what we have left in terms of management structure is counter productive and most of all pointless...talking about contracts is now tired and boring, its happened and now we must move on.

One final thing in defence of Bassett is that I can promise you that there will be few people working harder to find replacements than Dave Bassett! With his knowledge and connections he is potentially the most important person at the club, so lets not be daft and start calling for heads...I'm not one for a witch hunt, especially when there is no crime to answer for!

alex said:
A lot will be levied on the fact that we were in administration etc. etc. but I do feel perhaps it may be time to look at his position in the club.

Madness :?

Mistakes have been made and lessons learned...slaging off what we have left in terms of management structure is counter productive and most of all pointless...talking about contracts is now tired and boring, its happened and now we must move on.(quote)

It may be boring but its certainly convenient to draw a line under contracts which provided little incentive to avoid relegation & gave away the best players for a pittance. Some mistakes to make & I wait to see if any lessons have been learned.

"It may be boring but its certainly convenient to draw a line under contracts which provided little incentive to avoid relegation & gave away the best players for a pittance. Some mistakes to make & I wait to see if any lessons have been learned."

For a start the content of the contracts probably has little to do with Bassett, more the number crunchers at city, secondly the chairman was on radio Leicester mid week saying that the lesson had been learned and they would not be including escape clauses in contracts any more.

The situation is also a bit of a catch 22 one...sure the best players should not have been allowed to leave, but few would have joined without the provision of this type of clause. I do believe the club has learned something, however what I strongly object to is the blame being laid firmly at the feet of Bassett. I believe his capacity at the club is not to draw up contracts but to explore what talent is available and use his contacts to get that talent at the club.

The call to out Bassett is ridiculous, has this clubs fans learned nothing from the Martin O'Neill era. One of the reasons he left was because he felt he was dealt a harsh blow by fans who were calling for his head only a few games into his reign as manager...the same applies here, it could be a case of you don't know what you have until its gone! The job he does for us is very important, I cannot stress that enough! I have already stated his achievements above...I don't need to re state them here...all I want to stress is that it is high time some of the Boo boys at this club actually started supporting it rather than trying to pull it down.

If ignorance is bliss then some of these boo boys must be the happiest people alive!

Hello folks, first posting. I have been a silent viewer for a while but have decided to break my silence because I also think it is wrong to slate Bassett, he has done some great things for us and I'm sure he will continue to do so! Anyone who says otherwise should hang their head in shame :oops: and wash their mouth out! Silver is bang on the mark! Now more that ever we need to support the club!

POW!

To the bat cave!

If ignorance is bliss than some of these boo boys must be the happiest people alive

With dry wit like that you could be the new boy wonder :)

Batman said:
Hello folks, first posting. I have been a silent viewer for a while but have decided to break my silence because I also think it is wrong to slate Bassett, he has done some great things for us and I'm sure he will continue to do so! Anyone who says otherwise should hang their head in shame :oops: and wash their mouth out! Silver is bang on the mark! Now more that ever we need to support the club!

Right on! I've hung my head in shame and washed my mouth out - now I'm just trying to puzzle out a list of the "great things" achieved by Dave Bassett. Any help would be sincerely and gratefully appreciated. I take it that the list will not include mention of players who were brought here on those crazy contracts - that said I really wouldn't know who was responsible for including the escape clauses & the issue is mainly around the pitiful level of fees - £100k for Ben Thatcher!!! - an established Premiership defender still in his 20's - come on, get real.

SilverFox said:
Have to totally disagree. Dave Bassett has been a very important figure at our club. His influence has led to Dickov, Dean, and Freund to name but a few, the reality being that most players who have come through the door in recent history are a result of both Micky and Bassett.
I'm not one for a witch hunt, especially when there is no crime to answer for!

Transfers didn't work - crime is for not succeeding in getting our club back to where O'Neil had built it.

It's not mad at all - he gets paid a lot of money and I think it's right to question him and his moves.

Silver, you make some very valid points but I think that having two managers at the club never work. To back my point up, if you look at Leicester since Adams and Bassett have taken over you can hardly say they have performed miracles. Last season was pretty much a shambles, it was always going to be difficult to stay up and we certainly never defied that. Now Adams always sings Bassett's praises, but I think that even though Adams rates him he is more of a hinderence than of help. I might be being abit unfair here, but perhaps we need to freshen things up and that's why I think Bassett should sling his hook. He will be on a fair few quid, he does help heavily in bringing players in possibly even more than Adams and looking at who we've signed last season several were flops so you could argue he's crap at what he's doing.

When you bring in virtually a whole new team you have to expect that some of those signings will not be successful. We had no money, we still have no money, we had to take some risks and a great majority of those players were successful, i.e. Thathcher, Howey(when he was fit was a good player), Scumica, Freund, Ferdinand, Bent, Dabizas, Nalis (who was good towards the end of the season and will be better next season)...are these all S*it players? If they are why so upset at losing them? I reject the argument that Bassett has done nothing, with no money what do you want? He really isn't a miracle worker, but he is doing his best within his given set of circumstances, and as I have said he gives us options at the moment...we really need that now. To say that he has committed a crime by not achieving what O'Neill has achieved is a little on the harsh side...firstly O'Neill is probably the best manager in the country at the moment, secondly, O'Neill never had administration hanging over his head.

As for contract clauses, Someone is to blame, I don't know who but it seems that we are using Bassett as a scapegoat...Its nice and easy to blame one person for the mistakes of the club as a whole isn't it! Howver to do this is really wrong...If we didn't include such provisions we probably wouldn't have signed half the players and would not have been even half as competative as we were.

The type of contracts we can offer players in terms of finances is not decided by Bassett, he doesn't control the clubs finances...because we were in Sh*t street financially we had to offer a great deal of players reduced wages if relegated. The only way many of these players agreed to this is if there were escape clauses. I would rather see players leave than be stuck with a masive wage bill and no way of paying it. As a club we don't need administration again! The club has seen that this policy has not been great and so now will no longer include these clauses (Tim Davies said so on radio Leicester), Bassett can not be blamed for something that had nothing to do with him!

Give Bassett a break, and a chance to show what he can do. Those of you saying hes already had his chance and not performed miracles, I would tell you that when we went back to the prem at the first time of asking was pretty special, given that we were within hours of going out of buisness at one stage. I thought other Leicester fans would be able to see that!

We spent something like £500K on players, and you are right, we didn't stay up, but on occassion I think we fought with the best of them. Who knows, with a period of consolidation (by that I mean the immediate years after administration and not that we should content ourselves with lower league football) we can again spend money. Test Adams and Bassett then...not now!

I'm not a fan of liquorice so maybe it's time to move on. :roll:

SilverFox said:
When you bring in virtually a whole new team you have to expect that some of those signings will not be successful. We had no money, we still have no money, we had to take some risks and a great majority of those players were successful, i.e. Thathcher, Howey(when he was fit was a good player), Scumica, Freund, Ferdinand, Bent, Dabizas, Nalis (who was good towards the end of the season and will be better next season)...are these all S*it players? If they are why so upset at losing them? I reject the argument that Bassett has done nothing, with no money what do you want? He really isn't a miracle worker, but he is doing his best within his given set of circumstances, and as I have said he gives us options at the moment...we really need that now. To say that he has committed a crime by not achieving what O'Neill has achieved is a little on the harsh side...firstly O'Neill is probably the best manager in the country at the moment, secondly, O'Neill never had administration hanging over his head.

As for contract clauses, Someone is to blame, I don't know who but it seems that we are using Bassett as a scapegoat...Its nice and easy to blame one person for the mistakes of the club as a whole isn't it! Howver to do this is really wrong...If we didn't include such provisions we probably wouldn't have signed half the players and would not have been even half as competative as we were.

Give Bassett a break, and a chance to show what he can do. Those of you saying hes already had his chance and not performed miracles, I would tell you that when we went back to the prem at the first time of asking was pretty special, given that we were within hours of going out of buisness at one stage. I thought other Leicester fans would be able to seee that...guess we really are a fickle bunch! :roll:

Fair points but I don't think Bassett is literally only in this until another club is stupid enough to offer him a managerial role. He has done a sound job by what Micky says, none of us know what goes on behind the scenes so it would be unfair for us to slag Bassett off for this. Apparently Bassett negotiates the contracts and often helps Micky out in bringing the players in, Bassett can therefore shoulder some of the blame for the contracts but as many people have said we needed a whole new team and we weren't in a position to call players bluff by refusing these clauses. Given a different scenario we could have told them to bollovks and looked elsewhere or seen if the players would then back down. My only gripe with Bassett is he has his own rules and procedures and a certain circle of players and staff he associates with so that's why I think some of our signings are a little dissapointing. Also as we aren't really breaking records and perhaps something needs changing and freshening up I think Bassett should dissapear. He has done a decent job for us, i'm not doubting that but having two managers at the club doesn't work IMO.

Was he not only given the role to avoid paying up his contract?

I think it is also important to remember that since administration and the forced redundency of Alan Hill we have been left with an inexperienced Academy director. I have no doubts Basset helps out in that side of the game.

trickytrev said:

I think it is also important to remember that since administration and the forced redundency of Alan Hill we have been left with an inexperienced Academy director. I have no doubts Basset helps out in that side of the game.

Good point mate, we had the best academy chap in the business until administration. Hats off to Taylor for bringing Hill in, Hill is responsible for the batch of youngsters coming through if we ever see them. Hill snapped up Petrescu and Wesolowski from abroad and also pinched Stearman from some big clubs up north, O'Grady was nicked off our feeder club Forest aswell. I would much rather have kept this saint than Bassett, youth is our only chance IMO and to think we sacraficed that for a million words a minute Bassett makes me embarrassed and angry.

Malf said:
trickytrev said:

Good point mate, we had the best academy chap in the business until administration. Hats off to Taylor for bringing Hill in, Hill is responsible for the batch of youngsters coming through if we ever see them. Hill snapped up Petrescu and Wesolowski from abroad and also pinched Stearman from some big clubs up north, O'Grady was nicked off our feeder club Forest aswell. I would much rather have kept this saint than Bassett, youth is our only chance IMO and to think we sacraficed that for a million words a minute Bassett makes me embarrassed and angry.

Hes not that bad, remember Pleat? Urrrrgggghhhhhh! Darkest days at the club by far! As for the 'hats off to Taylor comment', you should be ashamed :lol:

Batman said:
Malf said:
trickytrev said:

Hes not that bad, remember Pleat? Urrrrgggghhhhhh! Darkest days at the club by far! As for the 'hats off to Taylor comment', you should be ashamed :lol:

:lol: :lol: Yeah sorry about that, I got abit carried away. As much as I hate to say it though, if we do produce 3 or 4 class players from the bunch of youngsters we have then it could be argued that Taylor had a hand in re-building this club even though he helped destroy the f*cker in the first place!!!

The type of contracts we can offer players in terms of finances is not decided by Bassett, he doesn't control the clubs finances...because we were in Sh*t street financially we had to offer a great deal of players reduced wages if relegated. The only way many of these players agreed to this is if there were escape clauses. I would rather see players leave than be stuck with a masive wage bill and no way of paying it. As a club we don't need administration again! The club has seen that this policy has not been great and so now will no longer include these clauses (Tim Davies said so on radio Leicester), Bassett can not be blamed for something that had nothing to do with him!

good point! Don't know how much Bassett can be blamed for youth team losing its coach...sounds like we are clutching at straws if we are trying to pin everything thats gone wrong at this club on Bassett...Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticising anyone on a personal level, I just think possibly we are going a bit far. Next we'll be saying Bassett is concealing weapons of mass destruction at the club!

Malf said:
Batman said:
Malf said:
trickytrev said:

:lol: :lol: Yeah sorry about that, I got abit carried away. As much as I hate to say it though, if we do produce 3 or 4 class players from the bunch of youngsters we have then it could be argued that Taylor had a hand in re-building this club even though he helped destroy the f*cker in the first place!!!

It would be brilliant if we could produce some quality youngsters, I think we will see a lot more break into the squad next season. You make a good point about Taylor, but it makes me want to s**t and stamp in it :twisted:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester3883
2Leeds Utd3882
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757