Ben Thatcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

San

I heard on Sky Sports News that Ben Thatcher is moving to Fulham for £500,000. I heard about his house getting broken into a couple of times, and he was rumoured to be going, but for £500,000!!! Can someone refresh my mind...how much did we sell him for?? 50p was it?

My word £500,000 what we could do with that, how many players Levein could bring in, good deal for Man. City though, no?

San said:
I heard on Sky Sports News that Ben Thatcher is moving to Fulham for £500,000. I heard about his house getting broken into a couple of times, and he was rumoured to be going, but for £500,000!!! Can someone refresh my mind...how much did we sell him for?? 50p was it?

But if we hadn't agreed to the escape clause he might not have signed for us in the first place - or might have signed just a one year contract - and we did get him for free.

It's one of the things that happens in the Bosman era, we just have to accept it. It works to our advantage too, we've just signed two players for well below what their value would have been under the old system, and another one is coming for free in the summer.

I think the most extreme example of this is the player Newcastle have just signed from Rangers. Rangers signed him on a free in the summer, and have just sold him for 8 million.

webmaster said:
San said:

But if we hadn't agreed to the escape clause he might not have signed for us in the first place - or might have signed just a one year contract - and we did get him for free.

It's one of the things that happens in the Bosman era, we just have to accept it. It works to our advantage too, we've just signed two players for well below what their value would have been under the old system, and another one is coming for free in the summer.

I think the most extreme example of this is the player Newcastle have just signed from Rangers. Rangers signed him on a free in the summer, and have just sold him for 8 million.

Spot on Webbo, it is highly unlikely Thatcher would have signed for us without the relegation clause kicking in, we signed him for nothing and sold him on for a fee, it was a no risk move for either side, except we lost out because he had a good sesaon and if we stayed up then happy days. It was more fustrating that Dickov had the clause inserted when he was already here at the club and owed more loyalty to Adams and Bassett for rescuing his career.

PFKAKTF FOX said:
It was more fustrating that Dickov had the clause inserted when he was already here at the club and owed more loyalty to Adams and Bassett for rescuing his career.

I always wondered about this get out clause in the contracts. It does not make sence that dickov had one.

Why should he?

step said:
I always wondered about this get out clause in the contracts. It does not make sence that dickov had one.

Why should he?

To encourage him to stay with us for at least a year in the Premiership?

His contract expired the summer after he'd scored loads of goals in our promotion season. I'm sure there would have been other clubs trying to sign him for free, so it doesn't surprise me that his new contract suited him more than the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4284
5West Brom4372
6Norwich City4371
7Hull City4265
8Coventry City4263