Melton Fox

Dancing Queen
For me it would have to be:

Button
Coulthard
Henman
England Football Team

Top of the tree - Mr Jimmy White

I only truly agree with one of those Melts.
Button had great results a season ago but quite clearly the Bar/Honda as been poor this season. If Button was in a successful team and failed then i'd say he under achieved.
Coulthard, well you can only under achieve if you don't live upto expectations. I'm not convinced that Coulthard was ever a top class F1 driver in the 1st place.
Henman, why should you expect him to win anything. We have the worst record of any civilised nation for producing top class tennis players. Henman imo has been a credit to the nation for performing at such a high level over the last decade. Never good enough to win grand slams, but he can still hold his head high.
The England football team i totally agree with you, feckin embarrassments should keep their gobs shut until they have achieved something.

Brauny Blue said:
I only truly agree with one of those Melts.
Button had great results a season ago but quite clearly the Bar/Honda as been poor this season. If Button was in a successful team and failed then i'd say he under achieved.
Coulthard, well you can only under achieve if you don't live upto expectations. I'm not convinced that Coulthard was ever a top class F1 driver in the 1st place.
Henman, why should you expect him to win anything. We have the worst record of any civilised nation for producing top class tennis players. Henman imo has been a credit to the nation for performing at such a high level over the last decade. Never good enough to win grand slams, but he can still hold his head high.
The England football team i totally agree with you, feckin embarrassments should keep their gobs shut until they have achieved something.
My Reasons

Button - He gets himself into good positions not only on the grid, but also during the race. He lets them slip every time. I remember when he was following the safety car and bottled it twice on the restart for Alonso to cruise past him

Coulthard - OK, you may have a point. But he was joint No.1 a Mclaren for a while but Mika eventually got the nod. He was also No.1 at Williams after Hill left. They were the best team in F1 in the mid 90's

Henman - More underchieves due to the pressure put on him by the English crowd during Womble week. But he is the one that keps saying he is going to win Wimbledon each year.

Jimmy White - I'm surprised you don't agree with this.

Brauny Blue said:

I totally agree. Henman is a different player to the big hitters dominating the game. Henman held his own for a good decade with the old fashioned serve and volley routine. The media unjustifiably built him up too much.

Harlem globetrotters.
How many league titles they won, eh?.....eh?

Last edited:
Melton Fox said:
Henman - More underchieves due to the pressure put on him by the English crowd during Womble week. But he is the one that keps saying he is going to win Wimbledon each year.

Does he say he's going to win Wimbledon?

Can't remember him saying that, it's the media that hypes him up.

He was in the top 10 in the world for several years, his consistency was something most of the other top players couldn't match.

Jeff said:
He was in the top 10 in the world for several years, his consistency was something most of the other top players couldn't match.
You can't hang that on your mantlepice though can you?

Melton Fox said:
Button - He gets himself into good positions not only on the grid, but also during the race. He lets them slip every time. I remember when he was following the safety car and bottled it twice on the restart for Alonso to cruise past him

I'll agree Button has underachieved. But he was also unlucky. During 2004, he finished on the podium 9 times and was 2nd something like 4-5 times. But he came up against Schumacher's indestrucible Ferrari. Didn't get one blown tyre or anything which would have given Jenson a win. Since then it's gone to pot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00
7Palace00
8Everton00