Bosman signings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flabby Owl

There's an article on the BBC at the moment ( https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55219724 ) to celebrate/commemorate the 25th anniversary of the Bosman ruling, accompanied by the traditional rank these 10 arbitrary transfers to see who was the greatest ever poll. However, it did get me thinking about who was our best Bosman/free transfer signing of that period. For every Fuchs or Albrighton (and Cambiasso: he did keep us in the league on his own, after all), there's a hundred others. The worst is possibly a more competitive competition...

I'm expecting this thread to be filled with Mickey's misfits.

Personally I think that Albrighton is a great example of how the rule should be used. Supposedly Villa were refusing to give him £30k a week - he wanted to stay and still supports them. They wouldn't budge and we picked him up. He's played in the PL every season since, won the PL, made the quarter finals of the Champions League and doesn't look like he's going anywhere anytime soon.

Good thread, I'll have a think

Nuge on a free turned out to be a cracking bit of business.

Always remember Martin O’Neil talking about Gerry Taggart, where Gerry was telling people he came on a Bosman, O’Neil said he had to remind him he was a free transfer.

There's an article on the BBC at the moment ( https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55219724 ) to celebrate/commemorate the 25th anniversary of the Bosman ruling, accompanied by the traditional rank these 10 arbitrary transfers to see who was the greatest ever poll. However, it did get me thinking about who was our best Bosman/free transfer signing of that period. For every Fuchs or Albrighton (and Cambiasso: he did keep us in the league on his own, after all), there's a hundred others. The worst is possibly a more competitive competition...
I saw this article and had the same thought Flabster. I also reached the same conclusion, that after Albrighton & Fuchs, the highlights were actually more likely to be lowlights.

I can't believe there's been a thread on here for over an hour and nobody has mentioned Junior. In another side point, the keepers we've signed on a free have been invariably dreadful.

It was an initial fee of something like £50,000, with add-ons that could have taken it up to £150,000.

Gillingham's Junior Lewis is set to complete a permanent move to Leicester City after impressing on loan.
The 27-year-old midfielder is thought to have agreed personal terms and is expected to sign on Thursday.

greyquoteleft.gif

He's never played in the Premiership before but he's quickly won the confidence of the players
greyquoteright.gif
Peter Taylor

"I am delighted to sign him. He's only played the five games but has already made his mark on the team," said Foxes boss Peter Taylor.

"I was looking for a holding type of midfield player after Neil Lennon went and he has been doing that job effectively.

"He's never played in the Premiership before but he's quickly won the confidence of the players, who are not afraid to give him the ball."

The two clubs have agreed a Ł150,000 deal, with Leicester laying out a down payment of Ł50,000.

Gillingham will receive the remainder of the fee after the player makes 40 appearances.

Lewis has previously played for Taylor at Gillingham and Conference side Dover.

To think he was seen as a replacement for Neil Lennon. ****ing Taylor, genuinely set the club back about 10 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4284
5West Brom4372
6Norwich City4371
7Hull City4265
8Coventry City4263