Confirmed Transfer Boubakary Soumaré

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Leicester City is delighted to confirm the signing of midfielder Boubakary Soumaré from Ligue 1 champions Lille for an undisclosed fee, subject to Premier League and international clearance.

The 22-year-old Frenchman has signed a five-year-deal and will join up with his new Foxes teammates for the start of pre-season later this month.

He made 40 appearances in all competitions for Lille last season, including eight in the UEFA Europa League, and helped Les Dogues to the French title, pipping Paris Saint-Germain to first place by one point.

Speaking to LCFC.com, Soumaré said: “I’m really proud to come to the Premier League and a big club like Leicester. It’s going to really help me to develop my game and progress as a player, so I feel it is the right step for me.

“Leicester is a very ambitious Club. When they spoke to me about their plans and what they wanted from me, I knew straight away I wanted to come. I really am so proud and honoured to be here and I will give my all for the team and Club to make everyone happy.”

The industrious midfielder started his career with Paris FC and spent five years with the club before joining the PSG Youth Academy in 2011.

After six seasons with PSG, he moved to Lille in 2017, signing a three-year deal and making his professional debut in a 3-0 win over Metz in November of the same year.

His stay at Stade Pierre Mauroy was extended by a further two years at the end of the 2017/18 campaign, and he netted his first goal for the club at Lyon in May 2019.

In total, he made 112 appearances in all competitions for Lille, culminating in last season’s Ligue 1 triumph – the club’s first since 2011 and the fourth in their history.

Internationally, Soumaré has represented France at various youth age groups, and is a teammate of Wesley Fofana, with the pair playing for Les Bleus at Under-21 level.

I'd love to know what took so long! It's been a "done deal" for f-ing ages apparently. Maybe he had to go on a crash Monster Munch appreciation course??

Still, whatever, it's official now and I'm pleased as.

Leicester City is delighted to confirm the signing of midfielder Boubakary Soumaré from Ligue 1 champions Lille for an undisclosed fee, subject to Premier League and international clearance.

The 22-year-old Frenchman has signed a five-year-deal and will join up with his new Foxes teammates for the start of pre-season later this month.

He made 40 appearances in all competitions for Lille last season, including eight in the UEFA Europa League, and helped Les Dogues to the French title, pipping Paris Saint-Germain to first place by one point.

Speaking to LCFC.com, Soumaré said: “I’m really proud to come to the Premier League and a big club like Leicester. It’s going to really help me to develop my game and progress as a player, so I feel it is the right step for me.

“Leicester is a very ambitious Club. When they spoke to me about their plans and what they wanted from me, I knew straight away I wanted to come. I really am so proud and honoured to be here and I will give my all for the team and Club to make everyone happy.”

The industrious midfielder started his career with Paris FC and spent five years with the club before joining the PSG Youth Academy in 2011.

After six seasons with PSG, he moved to Lille in 2017, signing a three-year deal and making his professional debut in a 3-0 win over Metz in November of the same year.

His stay at Stade Pierre Mauroy was extended by a further two years at the end of the 2017/18 campaign, and he netted his first goal for the club at Lyon in May 2019.

In total, he made 112 appearances in all competitions for Lille, culminating in last season’s Ligue 1 triumph – the club’s first since 2011 and the fourth in their history.

Internationally, Soumaré has represented France at various youth age groups, and is a teammate of Wesley Fofana, with the pair playing for Les Bleus at Under-21 level.
Lille! Eh……Nice!

I'd love to know what took so long! It's been a "done deal" for f-ing ages apparently. Maybe he had to go on a crash Monster Munch appreciation course??

Still, whatever, it's official now and I'm pleased as.
He was waiting to see if we could get Ryan Bertrand before he agreed to sign.

Other than the continuous speculation, does anyone (other than Homer), know much about him? Obviously he's a potential shithouse...but...??

I could be reading too much into this, but could this be because he is expected to replace one of the current first team?

I've seen him compared to Yaya Toure and Patrick Vieira - two of my favourite non-Leicester midfielders to have played in the Premier League and a style of midfielder I love to see. So I am very excited about this signing.

Our central midfield is already very strong. so it's brilliant to add (hopefully) another strong option to this. And more physical strength into the midfield and team overall; I still think we're a bit lightweight at times.

Be interested to see where he fits in. Is he first choice? Does Maddison or Tielemans leave to create space? Could he play instead of Ndidi at times?

Assuming everyone stays, I think we might see Youri playing further forward more often this season. It could be Ndidi, Soumare, with Tielemans ahead of them.

I've seen him compared to Yaya Toure and Patrick Vieira - two of my favourite non-Leicester midfielders to have played in the Premier League and a style of midfielder I love to see. So I am very excited about this signing.

Our central midfield is already very strong. so it's brilliant to add (hopefully) another strong option to this. And more physical strength into the midfield and team overall; I still think we're a bit lightweight at times.

Be interested to see where he fits in. Is he first choice? Does Maddison or Tielemans leave to create space? Could he play instead of Ndidi at times?

Assuming everyone stays, I think we might see Youri playing further forward more often this season. It could be Ndidi, Soumare, with Tielemans ahead of them.
Where does that leave the prancing showpony?

Quick, powerful and skilful. This guy will be a smash hit. Tielemans, Maddison, Ndidi is already the envy of most Premier League fans as far as midfield goes but none of them have that ability to drive with the ball through midfield like this guy does.

Nobody needs to leave the first team, we proved last season how important a deep squad is

Boubakary is good, but without his team mates Sackary and Crackary it’s tough to see him doing well.

This is the one I am happiest with.

Take any of the 1st team midfielders out of our side and we were immediately weak and exposed through the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757