Confirmed Transfer Boubakary Soumaré

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope. It's a brand new account. My assumption is that Mendy is on his way.
Soumaré was number 24 at Lille too I think. It's "his" number. Mendy might not have been precious about it and gave it up. You're probably right though. Mendy's contract extension felt like it was related to the pandemic if memory serves - we didn't want him really, he didn't want to stay, but we couldn't sign anybody else there and he was probably struggling to find a club.

Nobody needs to leave the first team, we proved last season how important a deep squad is

I agree, I wasn't suggesting we want one to leave - but he might be filling a gap if one does.

He's a completely different style of midfielder to what we have, and that's a great option to have.

If he can drive forwards with the ball from deep then it will help us also draw opposition defenders/midfielders out, or find ways past them if they stay deep.

This is the one I am happiest with.

Take any of the 1st team midfielders out of our side and we were immediately weak and exposed through the middle.
Just like when we play Ndidi as a CB the opposition would stroll straight through the middle

There is, without doubt, a surplus of midfielders:

Choudhury
Mendy
Dewsbury-Hall
Praet
Tielemans
Soumare
Ndidi

That's not including Maddison, Perez or Albrighton

Meanwhile, we are short in central defence and, in my opinion, a right winger.

I've got a sneaky feeling we are going to use Ndidi as our "backup" central defender and Soumare as the replacement for him on those occasions.

Without Barnes we have absolutely no one willing to get the ball and run 20/30 yards with it, hopefully he’ll add that.

I can see a midfield 3 of Ndidi, Tielemans, Soumare, with Tielemans pushing further forward and Madison moving into the front 3 instead of a right winger.

good article that. strikes me as a perfect foil to Ndidi if we want to play two holding midfielders and Tielemans further forward. Although both gravitate toward centre left and dont get forward much so it puts a lot of onus on the 4 in front of them and the full backs

Go on then, is he any good?

He was absolutely ****ing immense today

He's going to grow into a fantastic central midfielder.

Brendan said at the start of last season that Soumare and Daka were more for the future than that moment.

That might have not been the right transfer strategy for that time, but think the assessment of those players and decision to sign them is gradually looking more and more correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757