Brakes need replacing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe_Fox

How much would the average cost be for replacing the front brake pads on a 1993 Mercedes 190E?

Should I just go to Kwik-Fit and be ripped off, or take it to an independant garage and that them do it?

Also, what's the deal with the sensors? Do these get replaced each time you replace the pads? My brake sensor light goes on every time I brake.

Thanks,
Joe_Fox

Brake pads should be relatively easy to change yourself, on most cars anyway.

Are any of you lot mechanics or car enthusiasts?

What pads do I need to get for my Merc 190E then? It's the front ones that need replacing.

just get down to a local garage. kwik fit would do but tend to be expensive sometimes. ring them up for a quote and compare with elsewhere!

Should I just go to Kwik-Fit and be ripped off, or take it to an independant garage and that them do it?

What makes you think that Kwik-fit will rip you off???

I've used them a couple of times and they were cheap as ****.
They only do semi-skilled work so only employ semi-skilled fitters who don't cost as much to pay as a mechanic.

How much would the average cost be for replacing the front brake pads on a 1993 Mercedes 190E?

Also, what's the deal with the sensors? Do these get replaced each time you replace the pads? My brake sensor light goes on every time I brake.

Thanks,
Joe_Fox

Do remember to tell us Joe if your arse needs scratching and you want any advice on who is best for the job

I went to see The Brakes at Manchester Uni a couple of months ago and managed to speak to Eamon after the gig.

He didn't think that The Brakes need replacing and He Should Know!

Well I'm surprised he didn't smack you really seeing as he absolutely HATES it when people call 'Brakes', 'The Brakes' like you have just done twice. LOL.

Oh, and highlander, thanks for the offer but I can scratch my own arse.

Some on here might say, "Don't bother getting them replaced JF. It's your destiny", but I wouldn't;)

Looks like the best part of 200 quid (he will need two discs, 2 pads and probably calipers :icon_wink ) for parts and the same for labour + vat. I can easily see you dropping a monkey plus. :icon_conf

Why would you need the to replace calipers?

Looks like the best part of 200 quid (he will need two discs, 2 pads and probably calipers :icon_wink ) for parts and the same for labour + vat. I can easily see you dropping a monkey plus. :icon_conf

£21.77 (£25.57) for the pads, £39.60 (£46.53) for the disks comes to £72.10 + labour.

Shouldn't cost too much. Got a quote of £110 which includes a 3 month guarantee.

Hopefully I'll be able to get it a bit cheaper though.

Is it easy to do the disks and brakes yourself?

How do you feel about a novice carrying out probably the most safety critical job on your car?

Yeah, it's a doddle. You might find that there is a screw holding the discs in place and this can often get corroded - but other than that, it should be straightforward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47
9Brentford46