Brauny's little quiz 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
6 is Lincoln

YES, and only a couple of seasons ago. Arsenal beat them in the QF. All said and done it doesn't seem right to call Lincoln non league. Like many clubs over the last generation there have been quite a few now that have dipped their toes into the conference and beyond. Personally I don't really see them as non league, teams like Dulwich Hamlet, Yeading, Stalybridge Celtic are proper non league imo.

Only unanswered questions are

b 2 answers needed
c 1 answer needed (qpr was correct)
d 2 answers
e 2 answers

16 b: Birmingham
16 c: Wolves?

YES 16 B and C are both correct

In the 82-83 season QPR and Wolves were promoted whilst we had to wait for confirmation after our rivals Fulham were held at Derby. That was the match for those that can remember where it finished a few minutes early after the crowd at the Baseball ground invaded the pitch to celebrate Derbys survival.
Fulham protested and said the game should either be replayed or at least re-started with just the last few minutes to play. Thankfully it didn't happen and we were up,

I think I’ve realised why my answer for question 2 is wrong, but I wouldn’t have a clue who the right answer is.

Sorry PPF wrong tangent by me. I was referring to Q13.

No Swindon's one season in the top flight ended I believe with them finishing bottom with about 30pts.
Sorry, I was wondering if Swindon was the answer to question 13

Will end the quiz at 9 tonight.

If anyone knows or wants to have a guess here is a little info

Q2 West Ham went down with 42pts which is the highest for a 38 game season. In the early days of the Prem there were 42 games so the record is higher than the 42pts.
This record also as an higher average points per game than West Ham's 42pts.
If you don't know the team you can still have a go at the points total.

Q13 In 86-87 Charlton who were already in the top flight played against 2nd Division Leeds. Charlton won the play-off and stayed in the old Division 1.
The following season the same format was used where 3rd bottom of Div1 would be in the play-offs against the teams who finished 3rd 4th and 5th in Div 2. It was the last time that this format was used before switching to the system that is still used now.
The 87-88 play-off was like the previous year a 2 legged fixture (no Wembley ) and it was the first time a team was promoted to the top flight through the play-off system.
A good clue was that Leicester denied the successful team automatic by beating them on the last day of the regular season. There I have given it away...….surely ?

Middlesbrough

YES Boro it was.

I went that day to Ayresome Park. . We had nothing to play for but was on a decent run going into the game. I remember we only had about 500 tickets and as usual were put in a pen with a shite view of the game. The place was rocking, they thought promotion was a certainty, but did we burst their bubble or what ? That was the original lockdown, and I don't think they let us out for about an hour after the game with a baying mob waiting to vent its frustration on us.
Boro beat Chelsea over 2 legs and my memory of that was the trouble at Stamford Bridge with police on horseback chasing hooligans over the pitch

Q2

The answer is Crystal Palace who were relegated despite getting 49 POINTS. That was 92-93 the first Prem season.
Probaly indicates that the league was far more of a level playing field in those early days of the Prem.
When the big bucks rolled in with all the tv deals, the bigger clubs started rising to the top.
Never really heard of a 'big 6' at the beginning of the Prem, and going back into the 80's the final league tables are littered with teams at the top end that would have little chance of achieving the same in the current day.
40pts is always spoken as being the target for survival, but such is the dominance at the top of the table then that target is rarely needed now.

Finally to answer the remaining bits of the promotion question (16)

16 b Where in 79-80 Leicester under the old 2pts for a win, were joined by Sunderland and Birmingham

16 d When Leicester in 93-94 won their 1st ever match at Wembley against Derby, C Palace and Notts F had already gained automatic promotion

16 e In 95-96 Steve Claridge's shin against Palace won the Wembley day out, already up were Sunderland and Derby.

Cheers all its been fun...……...I think:033:

Q2

The answer is Crystal Palace who were relegated despite getting 49 POINTS. That was 92-93 the first Prem season.
Probaly indicates that the league was far more of a level playing field in those early days of the Prem.
When the big bucks rolled in with all the tv deals, the bigger clubs started rising to the top.
Never really heard of a 'big 6' at the beginning of the Prem, and going back into the 80's the final league tables are littered with teams at the top end that would have little chance of achieving the same in the current day.
40pts is always spoken as being the target for survival, but such is the dominance at the top of the table then that target is rarely needed now.
Probably helped that there were four extra games...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4284
5West Brom4372
6Norwich City4371
7Hull City4265
8Coventry City4263