Brendan Rodgers appointed manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Leicester City Football Club is delighted to confirm the appointment of Brendan Rodgers as its new First Team Manager.

Brendan, 46, has signed a deal with the Foxes to June 2022 and will be at King Power Stadium for Tuesday night’s Premier League visit of Brighton & Hove Albion. He will take charge of the squad for the first time ahead of Sunday’s trip to Watford.

Joining the Club’s established team of First Team staff will be Assistant Manager, Chris Davies; First Team Fitness Coach, Glen Driscoll; and First Team Coach, Kolo Touré.

Rodgers joins the Foxes after two and a half seasons with Scottish champions Celtic, during which time he guided the Parkhead club to an impressive seven domestic trophies – including two Scottish Premiership titles.

The Northern Irishman arrives at King Power Stadium with an impressive reputation on both sides of the border, having also taken charge of Liverpool, Swansea City, Reading and Watford during his managerial career.

New Leicester City First Team Manager Brendan Rodgers said: “I’m very privileged and honoured to be here as Leicester City manager and I’ll give my life to make the supporters proud of their club. Together, we’ll be stronger and I’m looking forward to working with the players, staff and supporters to make the right steps forward.”

Leicester City Vice Chairman, Aiyawatt Srivaddhanaprabha, said: “I’m absolutely delighted to bring a manager of Brendan’s calibre to Leicester City and I look forward to seeing what he, our talented, young squad and our dedicated, skilled team of staff can achieve together.

“As projects, including the development of our new training ground and the proposed expansion of King Power Stadium continue to take shape, and as a young squad of great potential begins to mature, Brendan and his colleagues arrive at an exciting time for Leicester City. We’re continuing to grow as a Club and I am anticipating that Brendan’s coaching methods, knowledge and experience can enhance our journey.”

Rodgers brings with him a wealth of experience at the top level, having taken charge of well over 150 Premier League matches during his time with both Swansea City and Liverpool, as well as numerous European campaigns.

His managerial career began at Watford in 2008 after a number of years coaching in the academies of Reading and Chelsea. He successfully steered the Championship side away from relegation in his first season before a spell with former side Reading in the following campaign.

Brendan then embarked upon a highly successful spell as manager of then-Championship side Swansea City. He succeeded Paulo Sousa in the role as he built a side whose eye-catching playing style helped guide them to Premier League promotion in 2011 with a 4-2 win over former team Reading in the Championship Play-Off Final at Wembley.

The Swans won widespread plaudits for an impressive first season under Rodgers in the Premier League in 2011/12, where their stylish displays helped them to an 11th-placed finish. Such performances, particularly against the big teams, earned Rodgers a move to Liverpool in the summer of 2012.

Brendan again put together an exciting team at Anfield, and after a seventh-place finish in his first season, an incredible late run of form saw the Reds finish just two points behind champions Manchester City in 2013/14.

After a further 18 months at Anfield, Rodgers was appointed as manager of Celtic in May 2016, leading the team to a domestic treble in his first season at the helm. Celtic would also end the season unbeaten in all domestic competitions – the first Scottish side to do so in the league since the 19th century.

The following campaign saw Rodgers’ Celtic set a new British record of 69 domestic games without defeat, while also completing an impressive ‘double treble’ by winning the Scottish Premiership, Scottish Cup and Scottish League Cup once again.

This term, Celtic once again find themselves at the top of the Scottish Premiership table and have already lifted the Scottish League Cup with a 1-0 win over Aberdeen in December – Rodgers’ seventh trophy in just two and a half seasons in Scotland.

Bucking Hell! Welcome Brendon!

Well, we certainly didn’t let the grass grow, did we?

Welcome Brendan!

Brilliant, really excited by this. I think he could be the first manager we've had for years that stands a chance of being here for the long term and building something very exciting.

Decent appointment, in that I find it hard to imagine him taking us down. I'm also a bit surprised to find I have schadenfreude towards Celtic relating to something that happened 19 years ago, but it seems I do, heh heh heh.

Impressive. Seems like a great manager with plenty of Prem experience and good management skills.

What could go wrong?

Me, myself, I am rather pleased. I've liked Rodgers for a while and I think he'll be great here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757