Post Match Brighton 1 Leicester 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s still Rodgers.

It is clear that Iheanacho is playing with a lot more confidence recently. When Maddison returns to the pitch we should still have a go at keeping Iheanacho and Vardy on up front as an alternative to the width of Barnes.

If we were in Brighton’s position at the bottom of the table it’s the kind of defeat you’d expect to come at half time.

I've been thinking about that and I reckon a deal of yesterday's result was due to Brighton falling away. I noted in the match thread that they were starting to fall apart ("ragged" I said). I've noted before that they commit a lot of players forward in attack, sometimes out numbering defenders in the box. Then when their attack breaks down they leg it back into position. The enthusiasm has to be applauded but it must be very tiring for them. I don't think they can sustain that level of energy throughout the 90 minutes... and they fall away 2nd half.

Take nothing away from us. Our 2nd half performance was light years ahead of the shite we dished out 1st half (not difficult, as Youri suggested aftermatch, as it was among the worst I've ever seen us play) but Brighton had run out of steam. If I were Graham Potter, I think I'd be having a rethink about tactics. That they are not getting the results they think they are deserving is not down to bad luck, it's down to managing a game... they simply can't sustain the energy levels required to put his plans into action.

re Kelechi, again I reckon Rodgers made the wrong choice subbing him off. I reckon Nacho's confidence is being risked. He's scored 2 absolute crackers in consecutive matches and his overall play is better. (Btw, his goal last night, home many pure strikers would have taken that extra touch? He was in on goal and might have pulled the trigger, yet he steadied himself and the dinked finish was exquisite. That's holding your nerve so maybe his confidence isn't so badly off!

It was in the Rodgers aftermatch interview that made me wonder if there's another (perhaps personal???) issue. Asked about Kelechi and his goal, Rodgers answered briefly, without major praise, but went on to talk about Vardy. Indeed, spent longer talking about Vardy. Made me wonder if Rodgers rates Nacho. Just one for me to look out for.

Pen or no pen? At first, I thought it was about as obvious as they come, looked to me like Dunk took Vardy out. But on repeated views, I could see why there was the thought that Dunk had just gotten to the ball. I didn't (want to) agree but could see the possibility. So, for me, no clear and obvious mistake on the ref's part. I think the commentators suggested that had the ref given the pen then VAR would not have overturned it - for exactly the same reason. Win some, lose some.

That he even recorded/posted that speaks volumes. Top man.

You know, I'm staring to revise my opinion of him. Yep, he still has a tendency to play with clown feet, and forget what offside means, but his last two strikes have been top drawer stuff. That Burnley goal, just wow. And last night, cool as you like.

Hopefully with games being a bit more spaced out we will start to see less injuries and a few returning.

The more Iheanacho plays, the better he will become as his ability at a young age has also held him back a bit imo.

Hes only ever played bit part roles for us and Man City so it's bound to be difficult to maintain confidence when he's constantly in and out of the team or only getting 10-15 mins very infrequently.

I bet he hasn't played very minutes of senior football for his age too which is bound to effect his ability as training doesn't complete replicate the match situations so the more time and minutes he spends on the pitch, the better for his experience as it is still a learning process for him in terms of dealing with different types of defenders and styles of play.

This is why I think it is critical for player like Thomas to have a year out on loan player regular football even at a lower level as it is much better for their development than training and playing U23 matches etc.

Nachos is a top player though and I'm glad a lot are seeing this now - the guy has an unbelievable shot on him (Spurs away a couple of years back) and also shown he can be a composed finisher with excellent movement too.

Still a rough diamond but we should polish him up rather than selling to another PL team and has earned a new contract imo.

I looked at the team list and thought oh no not Nacho. Other people looked at the list and said oh no not Amartey.
Should every pre-match thread come with a warning - "Mr Rodgers knows what he is doing; that puts him ahead of everybody on this forum."?

The more Iheanacho plays, the better he will become as his ability at a young age has also held him back a bit imo.

Hes only ever played bit part roles for us and Man City so it's bound to be difficult to maintain confidence when he's constantly in and out of the team or only getting 10-15 mins very infrequently.

I bet he hasn't played very minutes of senior football for his age too which is bound to effect his ability as training doesn't complete replicate the match situations so the more time and minutes he spends on the pitch, the better for his experience as it is still a learning process for him in terms of dealing with different types of defenders and styles of play.

This is why I think it is critical for player like Thomas to have a year out on loan player regular football even at a lower level as it is much better for their development than training and playing U23 matches etc.

Nachos is a top player though and I'm glad a lot are seeing this now - the guy has an unbelievable shot on him (Spurs away a couple of years back) and also shown he can be a composed finisher with excellent movement too.

Still a rough diamond but we should polish him up rather than selling to another PL team and has earned a new contract imo.

There's also the fact when he does play he's vardy's replacement in games. 2 games in a row Vardy has ran 1 way taking defenders with him and Nachos has taken advantage of the space.

re Kelechi, again I reckon Rodgers made the wrong choice subbing him off. I reckon Nacho's confidence is being risked. He's scored 2 absolute crackers in consecutive matches and his overall play is better. (Btw, his goal last night, home many pure strikers would have taken that extra touch? He was in on goal and might have pulled the trigger, yet he steadied himself and the dinked finish was exquisite. That's holding your nerve so maybe his confidence isn't so badly off!

It was in the Rodgers aftermatch interview that made me wonder if there's another (perhaps personal???) issue. Asked about Kelechi and his goal, Rodgers answered briefly, without major praise, but went on to talk about Vardy. Indeed, spent longer talking about Vardy. Made me wonder if Rodgers rates Nacho. Just one for me to look out for.

Noticed that too re: Rodgers comments. Very begrudging.

I love Nacho, always rated him, but I think he’s off in the summer.

Hopefully, you won't see anyone returning. **** off you Jonah.
I rightly won’t be returning. It’s best for the team. I will however be contributing to each match thread before kick off to say that we will never score so I am ****ing off. I think that’s only right and fair.

Agree on Thomas definitely. He’s not ready yet. Against Arsenal his lack of experience was very visible. He will be good but he needs a loan.

I rightly won’t be returning. It’s best for the team. I will however be contributing to each match thread before kick off to say that we will never score so I am ****ing off. I think that’s only right and fair.
During the 15/16 season, I bet a couple of times on us to lose or draw games early on and we won them. For some reason, I saw this as a good omen, so continued doing it. It cost me a small fortune, but was worth it.

In his time with Leicester, Iheanacho has scored just 12 PL goals. Meanwhile, he has 15 cup goals. He scores most of his goals in games he starts - 10 of his 12 PL goals were in starts. It's a similar proportion in cups.

That's a problem for us and is the total opposite to what attracted us to sign him from Man City. When he was there, he was a super sub. We bought him to fulfill a similar role as back up to Vardy but he's never really made much of an impact as a sub for us.

In 35 PL starts for us, he's scored 9 goals - one every three games in terms of minutes (2507 mins as a starter). Without penalties, that's not bad. It's just not as good as Vardy. His worst time was under Puel who inexplicably used him both as a sub and usually out wide.

In most PL sides, Iheanacho would be the main striker and he'd get 12-14 goals a season - more if he was allowed penalties. Most PL sides would love to have him.

We're fortunate to have such a decent striker as back up. Very few PL sides have someone as capable to come in when the main striker is out. The criticism he receives is ridiculous given how he gets on with his role at the club without fuss.

The crunch comes this summer though as he enters the final year of his contract. You'd imagine that he will want to move on to be a first choice somewhere so wouldn't be interested in signing a contract extension. We would also want to get something for him rather than allow him to leave for free.

The problem is his sub appearances for Man City would be were when they were on top and he was on to give Aguero a rest.

Here, the only time he gets a look in is when Vardy is injured or we are desperate for another goal and generally it's too late then. There were numerous times early on in the season where Vardy had scored or the game was won and we could have given Nacho a run in a confident team then and also given Vardy a rest.

It would have helped Vardy's long term fitness and also Nachos confidence, both of which have been an issue this season.

I think he will still be happy to sign a new deal and we should definitely offer him one as it would be piss poor business to allow a player of his age and ability leave for nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757