Pre Match Burnley v Leicester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Under is the only attacking player with any pace left. And he’s crap.
I had genuinely excluded him as an option.

But then maybe Billy-no-mates up front might suit him. He can run into as many of their defenders as he likes, cannon a shot off as many as he chooses. If 1 in 10 even hit the mark then it's got to be an option.

Nachos up front

Albrighton and Ünder out wide.

Wilf, Taveres and Mendy in midfield.

Thomas and Castagne full backs with Cags and Amartey in the middle.

Kasper reminding them to head it away whilst he's standing between the sticks.

I would be very tempted to give our overworked players some time off, and it feels very important now. Play whoever is left against Burnley and Brighton.

We are not going to get results with Tielemans and Vardy not running anyway.

Ward

Albrighton
Amartey
Soyunchu
Fuchs
Thomas

Ünder
Tavares
Mendy
Any youth winger?

Iheanacho

I genuinely don't think we will see anything meaningful from Vardy, Barnes, Maddison for the rest of the season which effectively means its season over.
Barnes looked resigned as he lay on the pitch today in the way that Justin did when he went off. I've been waiting for it for a while with the sheer amount of explosive running he has been tasked with doing and now it has finally happened.
If we do see Vardy or Maddison I imagine it will be in the reduced mobility capacity that we've seen of Vardy recently and Maddison earlier in the season.

I don't mean to be pessimistic but in that scenario you'd normally go for solidity (which we can do) and pace or mobility out wide, which normally we could do but neither Ricardo nor Castagne are back at full tilt and won't be for a little while. We alsp can't go for height or physicality up top to play around as we don't have the player(s) to do that so we are essentially a lame duck albeit with a strong defence.

If you look at the squad and pick out players that should be available and fresh enough to put a shift in, we still have: Amartey, Castagne, Thomas, Fuchs, Mendy, Choudhury, Iheanacho, Under, Albrighton.

The keepers should be fine, as should Soyuncu who only really started playing at the start of January.

The players that need to not play on Wednesday are: Evans, Tielemans, Ndidi, Ricardo and Vardy.

So no reason why we couldn't go with:

Schmeichel
Amartey Soyuncu Fuchs
Castagne Mendy Choudhury Thomas
Under Iheanacho Albrighton

Ricardo could play, he's in the same boat as Castagne as far as recovery, don't forget Castagne is just back from a second hamstring injury

I would give serious consideration to sticking Fofana up top.

I would give serious consideration to sticking Fofana up top.
Wow that’s even more ludicrous an idea than Fuchs at right back.

Great opportunity for some young kids to make a name for themselves.

Problem really is up front, sadly Kelechi is not the man so who is left? no one so we have to use Iheanacho, Tavares and Leshabela may have to step up and play as a 10 if they can, not seen enough of either to make a judgment , either way someone needs to show some balls and give us some effort.

Schmeichel
Amartey Soyuncu Fuchs
Castagne Mendy Choudhury Thomas
Under Iheanacho Albrighton

That's not a bad side in fairness, it could certainly be a whole lot worse. Not exciting but could do a job and give others some time off. Hopefully, we have enough points in the bag (and other teams around us equally struggle) we might just see the season out with some impetus coming back in as it does.

Hopefully the club have some dosh available in the kitty to strengthen the squad come summer. We obviously can't carry on as we have, it's not sustainable. Some commentators might think we have a decent squad but it's not one to compete on 3 fronts.

Should have got Lingard and Sturridge.

At least we'd have options

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3882
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3967
6Norwich City3861