Car Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingy_85

My cars gears have been sticking for a while, every now and then it just simply wont go into second and jams. The only way to re-start it is to turn off the engine.

However, yesterday even this didnt work. The gears have completely gone now, the car wont go into first or second. I managed to jam it in at one point (kinky) and crawl back home. Funnilly enough it still goes into reverse ?

I have no idea if this is the end of the car or not, but any advice would be ggggggggggggggreat.

My cars gears have been sticking for a while, every now and then it just simply wont go into second and jams. The only way to re-start it is to turn off the engine.

However, yesterday even this didnt work. The gears have completely gone now, the car wont go into first or second. I managed to jam it in at one point (kinky) and crawl back home. Funnilly enough it still goes into reverse ?

I have no idea if this is the end of the car or not, but any advice would be ggggggggggggggreat.

Will it go in to first when you are standing still?

No, I can force it in eventually but it feels like there is something blocking the gears and once its in it gets stuck and wont come out, meaning that I cant actually stop the car untill it stalls.

What do you reckon? :102:

Can you select any of the gears easily when you a re moving or not?

If it's only first and second gears, it's probably the selector/linkage. If it's all gears it's probably the clutch.

Sounds similar to a problem I had. Clutch plate had gone (or something like that).

Do the higher gears go in ok?

Last edited:
Im not too sure, suddenly it would work fine but it wouldnt last as soon as I stopped. How much did it cost to sort out ? or is it a case of R.I.P. :mad:

Mine was fixed by someone in the family so I got off lightly.... Until the gasket went again. This was my 106.

My Rover had a temporary clutch problem - the bite dropped right to the ground and made it nigh on impossible to get 1st gear. It randomly corrected itself and was fine in the end.

Mine was fixed by someone in the family so I got off lightly.... Until the gasket went again. This was my 106.

My Rover had a temporary clutch problem - the bite dropped right to the ground and made it nigh on impossible to get 1st gear. It randomly corrected itself and was fine in the end.

I’d put my money on the rover problem being the bracket that supports the hydraulic clutch mechanism.

They are notorious for just snapping. They rust through and then the pressure of the hydraulics pushing against them bends the bracket down and pulls the hydraulics away from the clutch. If you’re lucky it will be an intermittent problem if your unlucky it will snap completely and leave you stuck at the traffic lights on Ashby Road in Hinckley with now gears whatsoever bastard fecking things........

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Liverpool718
2Manchester C  717
3Arsenal717
4Chelsea613
5Aston Villa613
6Newcastle712
7Fulham711
8Tottenham 610
9Brentford710