Celtic to keep an eye on Novo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loyal_Supporter

JUst found this on teamtalk.

Celtic will continue to monitor the Nacho Novo situation after the Dundee player met officials at Parkhead on Tuesday.

The 25-year-old held initial negotiations on a possible deal to take him to the club after the SPL champions lodged a bid close to the £500,000 asking price.

However, Celtic have played down suggestions that the completion of the deal and a medical are imminent.

A Celtic spokesman said: "Nacho Novo was here for preliminary discussions and we will continue to monitor the situation."

Latest up here is that Celtic,Palace and ourselves have all matched the £500,000.Rangers is Novo preffered option but they won't meet the asking price,this is all Scottish newspaper talk so make of it what you will personally I don't believe we have offerred £500,000,we haven't got it.If we going for nothing then we'd be in,never mind we are also linked with Freedman up here today......exciting isn't it? :wink:

highland fox said:
Latest up here is that Celtic,Palace and ourselves have all matched the £500,000.Rangers is Novo preffered option but they won't meet the asking price,this is all Scottish newspaper talk so make of it what you will personally I don't believe we have offerred £500,000,we haven't got it.If we going for nothing then we'd be in,never mind we are also linked with Freedman up here today......exciting isn't it? :wink:

:roll: Keep up the good work. :wink:

Celtic drop Novo interest

Celtic have decided against offering a contract to Dundee striker Nacho Novo after holding signing talks.

It appears to confirm suggestions that the 25-year-old Spaniard would prefer to join Rangers.

BBC Sport believes that Celtic will not be pursuing their interest and appear not to have made a formal offer.

It seems that Celtic were left with the impression that he did not show the necessary level of commitment during Tuesday's talks in Glasgow.

Dundee and Celtic had agreed a £500,000 fee, while Rangers, who have had two offers rejected, have not seen fit to increase their bid further.

Dens Park chief executive Peter Marr had said: "Celtic are the only team to have made an offer for Nacho and we've accepted their offer.

"Nacho has talked with Celtic and I don't know exactly what was said, but I met with him this morning and he assured me that he has not rejected Celtic.

"That leaves them in pole position because they have been brave enough to make an offer that matches our valuation, Rangers haven't.

"If Rangers want him to sign for them, they should come in and match what Celtic have offered, it's as simple as that.

"Nacho has never expressed a preference to us, but I'm sure, like every other player, he wants to get the best deal possible and probably wants to wait and see if anybody else comes in for him."

Rangers, who appear to be offering a larger salary, had increased their bid to £350,000, but that was rejected.

Dundee had denied suggestions that Novo is prepared to hold out for a move to Rangers, even if it meant leaving for nothing next season.

Novo is close friends with former Dens Park team-mate Zurab Khizanishvili, who has been at Ibrox for a season.

Rangers angered the Tayside club when an SPL tribunal ruled they did not have to pay a fee for the Georgian defender.

Dundee were placed in administration days later and Marr had earlier criticised Rangers for being "short-sighted" in the race for Novo.

"It's sad Rangers can't afford another £150,000 to sign a player who could possibly put them into the Champions League," he told the Sun.

"What's that worth to them? It could be counted in millions. All the money they get from that would easily pay for his transfer.

"After all, Rangers didn't have a player who matched his total of 25 goals last season and we don't consider £500,000 is a lot of money for Nacho."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/d/dundee/3849817.stm

Not that it really changes much for us...especially seeing as we're apparently not interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757