Confirmed Transfer Cengiz Ünder on loan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Leicester City Football Club have agreed terms with A.S. Roma for the loan of Turkish international Cengiz Ünder until the end of the season, subject to Premier League and international clearance.

The 23-year-old has spent the last three seasons in Serie A and will now join up with his new team-mates ahead of this weekend’s game against Burnley at King Power Stadium.

An international teammate of City defender Çağlar Söyüncü, the winger has 21 caps to his name, and made his senior debut for his country aged 19.

Speaking to LCFC.com, Cengiz said: “I can’t wait to go to Leicester and start training. I’ve always wanted to play in England and this is a great opportunity to play in the Premier League.

I will try to help my team-mates on the pitch and off the pitch and I believe that I can improve my performance every day. I think I am fast and can create lots of chances for my colleagues.

“I feel very good because my best friend plays for Leicester City. I am very happy to be able to play with Çağlar [Söyüncü] and I always watched Leicester’s games because of him.”

He joined Italian side A.S. Roma from İstanbul Başakşehir in the summer of 2017, and became the youngest Turkish player to score in the UEFA Champions League when he made his debut in the competition against Shakhtar Donetsk in February 2018.

Born in Sındırgı, Ünder, alongside Söyüncü, is a product of the Altinordu youth system and progressed to their First Team before securing a move to İstanbul Başakşehir ahead of the 2016/17 Süper Lig campaign.

After starring for Başakşehir and establishing himself as one of his country’s most exciting talents, Ünder moved to the Italian capital and joined A.S. Roma, making his bow against Inter Milan in August 2017.

He netted seven times in 26 Serie A games in his first season at Stadio Olimpico before scoring a further eight goals in all competitions the following year, including three strikes in the UEFA Champions League.

Last season, the Turkish wideman found the net on three occasions in 18 league games as Paulo Fonseca’s side finished in fifth place.

Internationally, Ünder has won 21 caps and scored six goals, with his debut coming against Kosovo in a FIFA World Cup qualifier in December 2016. More recently, he helped his country to qualify for UEFA Euro 2020, due to take place next year.

Over the moon.

Fair play, this looks like an excellent deal. A loan meaning that we're not committing too much money this year and we can also see how he adapts to the PL. His stats look good and his position is the weak link in the team from last season. He's also best mates with one of our players already.

Got a good feeling about this lad.

Another winger at last!!

Loan with no obligation seems like perfect business given the circumstances, plus European experience makes for a very positive looking transfer.

Get a CB in, possibly a LB too and then ship out Silva, Slimani, Ghezzal & Diabate and it will have been an excellent window.

Also, as much as I would have like to see Gray succeed here, this must really mean the end for him here and he needs to move on for the sake of his career.

Others happy his loan doesn't have an obligation to buy... But I hope it does have an agreed option to buy!

£24m Rumoured sounded like a good deal. Dont want that price soaring up or Roma changing their mind if he tears it up!

Welcome Cengiz!

So glad we've signed a winger! Look forward to seeing him play.

He seems to have some qualities that could make him a good player in this league, if he can adapt to having less time on the ball.

I think it's a decent signing, but I find it hard to get excited by it, partly because the likes of Rodriguez and Bale have gone to teams we should be competing with and it feels like we're falling behind.

He seems to have some qualities that could make him a good player in this league, if he can adapt to having less time on the ball.

I think it's a decent signing, but I find it hard to get excited by it, partly because the likes of Rodriguez and Bale have gone to teams we should be competing with and it feels like we're falling behind.
Spurs aren’t exactly in a good place at the minute.

Yeah, the Bale thing I’m completely unconvinced by.

Rodriguez is a fantastic signing, but not without its risks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757