Confirmed Transfer Cengiz Ünder on loan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I admit I'm prone to this as well but with Under being left out all the time, people are assuming qualities of him that aren't really there. His best moment of the season was the assist to Vardy at Arsenal. His pace really was useful for that and I don't know if Barnes would have thought to cross it into Vardy instead of trying it himself and missing. Other than that Under has been very ineffective and far too selfish on the pitch. Get rid

far too selfish on the pitch
That's how I see it.

He sees the headlines and wants to win the game single handedly. That's not necessarily a bad thing, a bit of selfishness works, but it needs to be channelled. He likes to cut in onto his left foot and thwack a curler in off the far post... well, that's the plan. He just forgets that defenders tend to try and block such efforts. He wasted a really good chance last night to put someone in (Hamza??) but went for glory instead. Not just last night either. He has pace and is direct, I really like that, but he needs to be more a part of the team, to contribute in other areas and in other ways.

See, I see a player desperate to prove himself with limited time on the pitch.
Yes, different sides of the same coin. Too keen to prove himself perhaps. And maybe looking to do the wrong things to impress.

As BN said, listen to the boss and do what he says. That's one way to get more time on the pitch.

See, I see a player desperate to prove himself with limited time on the pitch.
Me too.

Ok he was shit yesterday, as were most of the team. He deserves more of a chance I think.

I like how direct he is and would certainly prefer him to Perez. If we could sign him and sell Perez for the same amount, it wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world.

its funny all the people saying he was too selfish, I see a lot of Mahrez in Under, Mahrez was often too selfish, trying to do it all by himself shooting when he should have passed etc. the difference is it worked more for Mahrez and we didn't have a Maddison and Tielemans to take some of the creative responsibility.

The run he did that won the final corner is something Mahrez did 3 or 4 times a game

I hope Man City see some Mahrez in Under* We could do with another cash injection!

*actually, I suspect Under would like that too.

Btw, I acknowledged a degree of selfishness is a good thing. In fact, I'd say it's a necessity in a striker. It's more about choices the player makes, and when. Thumping a shot against a defender when there's a team mate you could play in is poor decision making. Knowing when to prefer patience over directness.

its funny all the people saying he was too selfish, I see a lot of Mahrez in Under, Mahrez was often too selfish, trying to do it all by himself shooting when he should have passed etc. the difference is it worked more for Mahrez and we didn't have a Maddison and Tielemans to take some of the creative responsibility.

The run he did that won the final corner is something Mahrez did 3 or 4 times a game

Under is to Mahrez what Mendy is to Kante. Not in the same stratosphere.

Me too.

Ok he was shit yesterday, as were most of the team. He deserves more of a chance I think.

I like how direct he is and would certainly prefer him to Perez. If we could sign him and sell Perez for the same amount, it wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world.
Exactly how I see it. We've seen two terrific finishes from him and a couple of really clever assists. He was poor yesterday but I think he's desperately trying too hard. There's a really good footballer in there and comparisons to Gray are ridiculous; he could only dream of doing some of the things we have seen from Ünder.

If we don't see more from him then we won't buy him and that's fine but I can't help but think he could be exactly the type of player we could do with. There is a lack of creativity in our side if Maddison and Barnes are out; he could provide that.

What he needs is coaching and BR is an excellent coach. Barnes has improved considerably under him and so too could Ünder. If Rodgers thinks it's not possible then that's a different story of course.

Under is to Mahrez what Mendy is to Kante. Not in the same stratosphere.
In his first season with us Mahrez was bang average. In fact he made 31 appearances, scored 4 and assisted 3. It's a pretty good job we didn't bin him off.

Players improve with circumstance. I'm not comparing Ünder to Mahrez, but the Mahrez we saw at his best for us, was a totally different animal to the one we saw early on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758