Champions League 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just realised that Spurs have now taken away our record worst CL defeat by an English club. Well done them.
Have they? 0-5 is a worse goal difference than 2-7. What they have done though, is to let another team have a ‘’bigger’’ win against them, than what Porto had against us.

Have they? 0-5 is a worse goal difference than 2-7. What they have done though, is to let another team have a ‘’bigger’’ win against them, than what Porto had against us.
Didn't think about that. How do I remove my "like" from Glyn's post? Can't believe I gave that away so liberally.

No, it isn't. The goal difference is absolutely the same.
0-5=-5
2-7=-5

Don't confuse the difference between goal difference and goals scored.

Whatever the case though, we had already qualified from the group and played a largely second-string in an away match. Tottering were at home in a group from which they will struggle to qualify. Little doubt in my mind which defeat was worse.

No, it isn't. The goal difference is absolutely the same.
0-5=-5
2-7=-5

Don't confuse the difference between goal difference and goals scored.

Whatever the case though, we had already qualified from the group and played a largely second-string in an away match. Tottering were at home in a group from which they will struggle to qualify. Little doubt in my mind which defeat was worse.
Well, how ever you turn that around, it is worse to lose 0-5 than 2-7, due to the impact it may have If two teams have the same goal difference. So back to Glyn’s post; he is still wrong. We still have the record for the worst CL defeat by an English club.

Well, how ever you turn that around, it is worse to lose 0-5 than 2-7, due to the impact it may have If two teams have the same goal difference. So back to Glyn’s post; he is still wrong. We still have the record for the worst CL defeat by an English club.
If you want to talk about impacts, our defeat had no impact on us qualifying. Even an ardent totterer wouldn't believe that about their debacle.

FFS kill me now.

They were both utterly shit defeats, there we go.

Where's the talk of them fecking up the English European competition coefficient [or whatever it's called]?

Also, 2 -7 at home, is a lot worse than 5 -0 away

If you want to talk about impacts, our defeat had no impact on us qualifying. Even an ardent totterer wouldn't believe that about their debacle.
Of course it didn’t. But technically 0-5 is still worse than 2-7. Just like 7-2 is better than 5-0. Record books says nothing about our loss having impact on qualifying or not. All this could have been avoided if only they had let in one more. Shambles!

You are right in “league position” terms but I suspect any list of record defeats in the Rothmans Football Yearbook would have the match with most conceded first.

Surely they’ll have 2 columns
Worst home defeat
Worst away defeat

Losing 7-2 at home is frankly embarrassing, especially when you look at the team spuds fielded
Our score wasn’t very impressive, but we know it was a dead rubber so put out the stiffs ( although this won’t be mentioned in the records)

Harvey Barnes made his debut, and never saw any more 1st team action until last season, that's how much a dead rubber it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757