Championship 18/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see the FFP rule in the football league are having the desired effects......

Wolverhampton Wanderers lost more than £1m a week during their Championship-winning campaign last season.

Wolves recorded a pre-tax loss of £57.16m for the year ending 2017-18, more than double the £23.18m they lost in the previous 12 months.

However, the club were promoted to the Premier League as title winners in Nuno Espirito Santo's debut season as manager.

They also turned over £26.4m and had an increase of £1.3m in ticketing income.

In a statement on the West Midlands club's website, the pre-tax loss was attributed to increased expenditure on players, wages, and promotion bonuses.

Some of those signings include player of the season Ruben Neves and the loan acquisitions of Diogo Jota and Willy Boly.

"Wolves' owners are committed to continuously improving the club, from both a footballing and wider operational and strategic perspective," said the statement.

However, Wolves are showing no signs of a reduction in spending and the club have already spent £109m on players since being promoted to the top flight.

In the goal celebrations a steward saw his opportunity to give him a good kick as well

I've been reading about the Grealish incident. The guy has been imprisoned for 14 weeks, fined £350 and banned from grounds for 10 years.

I've seen a massive out pouring of vitriol towards him. And yes, he was a twat. However, I find it all a bit over the top.

His own defence was entirely reasonable in the circumstances. He hadn't a clue what came over him, etc. and was very remorseful.

Through the self-important players and journalists spouting their disgust, only one account I've read has struck me as genuine, informed, and on the money. Bizarrely, this has come from the Leeds manager Bielsa:

"The person who does the thing we saw yesterday expresses a series of frustrations which are not necessarily linked to football. Because the more satisfied you are with your personal life, the less you need to do this kind of act."

Sometimes people lose the plot. What he did was wrong but not really that bad. Putting him in prison is a nonsense. He's been a season ticket holder at Birmingham for years without incident.

The building up of a rivalry by the local and national media, using fans distaste for the opposition to make money, is all apparently fine unless someone takes it too seriously.

I expect that Grealish gets worse genuine abuse than a half-arsed clump on the side of his head on social media every day.

That's all well and good until the next clown who "hadn't a clue what came over him" has a knife in his hand.

WTF??

Bullshit excuse, the guy is a **** of the highest order - anyone who tries to sucker punch someone from behind with all their weight behind it deserves everything they get and I thought the sentence was quite lenient.

I'm hope someone does exactly the same to him whilst he's in the showers and see how it likes it then.

Serves him right for wearing one of them Peaky Blinders hat the wannabe trendy bell end.

That's all well and good until the next clown who "hadn't a clue what came over him" has a knife in his hand.

Yes, I've read that particularly extreme take be used by several people. Do you really think that any sentence for this guy would in any way act as a preventative measure against that totally invented theory for which there is zero evidence?

I just hate mob mentality, knee-jerk reaction and overblown disgust.

He was an idiot. He got arrrested. He should have had a night in the cells, a fine and a ban and that's it.

He’s a well known vile knobhead amongst those who know him, who gets well nowty when he’s pissed

14 weeks is nowhere near enough - should have got the maximum six months. Hardly going to plead not guilty was he, so should have got full whack

The lad didn't even have the bollocks to go face to face with him. Total shit stain. Deserves a good ****ing slap. He'll probably have worse to contend with inside than an unsighted Father Damo.

The guy has been imprisoned for 14 weeks, fined £350 and banned from grounds for 10 years.

I find it all a bit over the top.

Pour decourager les autres.

He needed to be made an example of. It paints English football in a very bad light, and footballers can’t play with the fear that some knobhead will jump over the hoardings and give them a thump when they’re not looking.

The sentence was about right in my eyes, if anything a little lenient.

Should have had a night in the cells FFS. I can’t believe what I’m reading.

There's a lot of evidence that short-sharp jail sentances don't have much effect on re-offending rates - in fact when they lead to an offender losing their housing and employment they can make re-offending more likely. There's perhaps an argument for cowardly assaulting someone from behind deserving a greater sentance, but if it's going to be one of this kind of magnitude we'd all be better served by a severe community service order than spending our taxes on putting this lout up for a few weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4490
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363