Confirmed Transfer Chilwell to Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chelsea and Man City did.

With hundreds of millions pumped into the clubs from investors who were happy to keep feeding the club. Also starting at time when things like financial fair play wasn't a thing and the PL was very very different with basically Man Utd and Arsenal domianting for years.

I think if KP put in £100 - 200 million a season from their own pocket perhaps we can become a Chelsea or Man City. But i wouldn't want to deal with the consequences long-term in case KP go away.

I believe if we keep investing in promising talent, keep up our academy and ensure that for the next 2 or 3 seasons we only sell one major asset. This along with top training facilities, top 6 finishes every season for 2 or 3 more seasons, a stadium expansion and a tactically strong, competent and motivating manager, will mean we could do a Spurs. Then try to push on if we can. Spurs have been run excellently as far as I can see.

Of course i realise that we also need some real good luck in the above and that a lot of things have to align. If Rennie is leaving we need an able replacement to try to stay as injury-free as possible. For me, our academy is key, so investing in it is very important.

One more thing - i think we need to work on furthering the LCFC brand. Getting more shirts out to different countries. Something to take us away from being that team who achieved the impossible to much more.

Last edited:
The 'big six' are so far clear of the rest of us, there really is no debate to be had.

Our role is to sit there and exploit the big boys when they make stupid mistakes. We've been highly effective at that.

Behind the 'big six' there are a further group of clubs that are bigger than we are and if they were run as well as us, we'd expect to finish behind - Everton, Newcastle, Villa and West Ham all have clear advantages over us.

If you look at the 'all time' PL table, the above ten sides are the top ten, well clear of the rest. We sit in a group behind these, along with Southampton and I'd add Wolves, who I would say are very similar sized clubs to us.

There are then the 'sleeping giants' who are capable of competing with the biggest ten sides but have been so badly run that they are well down the pecking order. I'd say that there are three teams in this group: Leeds, Sheff Wed and Sunderland. Thankfully, two of them are as useless as ever at the moment. I hope Leeds feck this season up, just like I hoped Villa went down last season. The reason being that we want bigger clubs than us to fail to give us a better shot.

It really doesn't matter who owns us and what their approach is, I think what we've been doing over the last few seasons is the best we can do and we will all look back on this period as a special time.

King Power did a fabulous job building the club up between 2010-2014, especially being prepared to make mistakes and learn from them. They wrote off over £100m getting us up and in decent shape.

Since 2014, we've been entirely self-sufficient as a club and that makes our achievements even more impressive. Our model makes sense and it works. It is frustrating to see quality players use us as a stepping stone but there really is no alternative approach that would work better.

If we are still a PL club in another ten years time, we could be pushing towards being thought of in the secondary group of clubs. If we can regularly get 40k at the ground and are still punching above our weight now and then. But the truth is that it is more likely that we'll go down in that period.

With hundreds of millions pumped into the clubs from investors who were happy to keep feeding the club. Also starting at time when things like financial fair play wasn't a thing and the PL was very very different with basically Man Utd and Arsenal domianting for years.

I think if KP put in £100 - 200 million a season from their own pocket perhaps we can become a Chelsea or Man City. But i wouldn't want to deal with the consequences long-term in case KP go away.

I believe if we keep investing in promising talent, keep up our academy and ensure that for the next 2 or 3 seasons we only sell one major asset. This along with top training facilities, top 6 finishes every season for 2 or 3 more seasons, a stadium expansion and a tactically strong, competent and motivating manager, will mean we could do a Spurs. Then try to push on if we can. Spurs have been run excellently as far as I can see.

Of course i realise that we also need some real good luck in the above and that a lot of things have to align. If Rennie is leaving we need an able replacement to try to stay as injury-free as possible. For me, our academy is key, so investing in it is very important.

One more thing - i think we need to work on furthering the LCFC brand. Getting more shirts out to different countries. Something to take us away from being that team who achieved the impossible to much more.
Definitely. I think the shirt sales and ‘brand’ expansion only happens with consistent growth and success though. That and having a player that sells shirts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4284
5West Brom4372
6Norwich City4371
7Hull City4265
8Coventry City4263