City Fans Groups Back Call for Live Game Broadcasts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to understand why the TV companies were able to pay less money to the PL clubs for showing more matches at the end of last season?

I have read that they argued that the product is not as good without crowds. In addition, they were made to show the extra matches by the government which I think also but the clubs on the back foot in negotiations.

Therefore, it may harm the PL clubs TV income to allow the broadcasters to show more matches because they can use this same argument again and restrict payments.

It is not in PL clubs interest of TV companies interest to lower viewer numbers. I think the key point is to understand the relationship between the TV contracts and the games shown/restricted crowds.

Put simply, I'd rather listen to, rather than watch, a handful of matches if it means LCFC get their full quota of TV money this season.

The argument about fans mental health is insulting. The vast majority of fans don't watch all the matches every season now. It's a bit odd to suggest that this is somehow making us unwell. In contrast, I found watching all the Leicester City matches at the end of last season made me ill.

I had a BBC notification earlier that linked to the story that the ban on the televising of 3 p.m. Saturday matches had been lifted for the coming season, making the way for all Prem games to be televised live. Curiously the story now appears to have been pulled.

Last edited:
I had a BBC notification earlier that linked to the story that the ban on the televising of 30 p.m. Saturday matches had been lifted for the coming season, making the way for all Prem games to be televised live. Curiously the story now appears to have been pulled.

All EFL games are being made available for streaming. £10 a game. They did a deal with Sky to make that possible.
The Premier League teams wanted to stream games but the TV companies wouldn't let them.

It's a bit mad really, 1000s would quite happily pay to be able to watch the games legitimately but as before, we'll just have to go down the piracy route instead.

All EFL games are being made available for streaming. £10 a game. They did a deal with Sky to make that possible.
The Premier League teams wanted to stream games but the TV companies wouldn't let them.
Not the same story. That one was announced two days ago.

It's a bit mad really, 1000s would quite happily pay to be able to watch the games legitimately but as before, we'll just have to go down the piracy route instead.
I wonder if they're worried that it'll just provide a free test of the technology and demand that's out there, with regards to the Premier League launching their own platform, thus removing the cash cow from Sky?

What if the virus will never go away? There will be no fans allowed at games for all the coming season and beyond. Fans will get so used to watching games on TV that even if crowds are allowed back in at some point in the future, so few will renew their tickets that grounds will remain largely empty.

City centres are dead. Shops large and small are closing. Businesses are selling their large office buildings for housing development because employees want to work from home and not commute.

Fans will get out of the habit of going to games so clubs will decide it isn’t worth the expense of having a stadium and will sell them to housing developers for large sums of money. Games will be played in front of just a few hundred people and media personnel at training grounds and be shown live on TV to a paying public.

Welcome to the future!

I had a BBC notification earlier that linked to the story that the ban on the televising of 3 p.m. Saturday matches had been lifted for the coming season, making the way for all Prem games to be televised live. Curiously the story now appears to have been pulled.
Similar story on the TalkSport website; the presenters on the current programme have been talking about this and appear to feel it is a done deal that those matches that aren't been broadcast live will be streamed by the clubs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to understand why the TV companies were able to pay less money to the PL clubs for showing more matches at the end of last season?

I have read that they argued that the product is not as good without crowds. In addition, they were made to show the extra matches by the government which I think also but the clubs on the back foot in negotiations.

Therefore, it may harm the PL clubs TV income to allow the broadcasters to show more matches because they can use this same argument again and restrict payments.

It is not in PL clubs interest of TV companies interest to lower viewer numbers. I think the key point is to understand the relationship between the TV contracts and the games shown/restricted crowds.

Put simply, I'd rather listen to, rather than watch, a handful of matches if it means LCFC get their full quota of TV money this season.

The argument about fans mental health is insulting. The vast majority of fans don't watch all the matches every season now. It's a bit odd to suggest that this is somehow making us unwell. In contrast, I found watching all the Leicester City matches at the end of last season made me ill.
I felt very cross for some time.

My understanding is that when lockdown came, swathes of people cancelled their Sky subscription, including pubs who weren't open. Reduced revenue, less money to pay out. Seems fair enough to me.

My understanding is that when lockdown came, swathes of people cancelled their Sky subscription, including pubs who weren't open. Reduced revenue, less money to pay out. Seems fair enough to me.

Less bacon to skin off the backs of the "poors"

Yet Netlix subscriptions rocketed. I'd have thought a, literally, captive audience would have been good for Sky. Sure, people would have not wanted to pay while everything was cancelled but by the time sport was happening behind closed doors most of us had finished our boxsets and just wanted to watch something, anything.

Yet Netlix subscriptions rocketed. I'd have thought a, literally, captive audience would have been good for Sky. Sure, people would have not wanted to pay while everything was cancelled but by the time sport was happening behind closed doors most of us had finished our boxsets and just wanted to watch something, anything.

numbers reflect an initial spike in interest and then a pretty steep decline in viewership across most sports

Sky also removed the charge for sky sports, so even if you didn’t cancel you’d have saved/cost Sky the monthly fee

Premier League clubs are expected to allow all behind closed doors games in September to be shown live on television in the UK, with the the U-turn coming following pressure from fan groups and government.

Fans will not be allowed into stadiums until October at the earliest, and even then in very limited numbers, but when the initial fixtures were announced the Premier League made it clear only those selected for live broadcast would be shown in the UK.

The decision meant that 11 games in September would take place without any UK-based fans being able to watch from home or at the stadium, leading the Football Supporters Association and government to call for clubs to reconsider.

In a shareholders' meeting on Tuesday, clubs are set to finalise the arrangements for all games in September to be divided between the four domestic rights holders, meaning the BBC could again be given a live game - having been granted four in an unprecedented move during Project Restart. Sky Sports will be given the bulk of the 11 games, with BT Sport behind them and Amazon in line for one extra game.

A call on what will happen once a limited amount of fans are allowed back into grounds from October 1 is expected to be made in late September, when the Premier League could well decide to return to its normal broadcasting arrangements.

Agreed. I still don’t understand why the Saturday 3pm blackout for televised games still stands irrespective of the COVID considerations. Surely it’s in all parties interests to lift this, and allow all games to be streamed as they do pretty much everywhere outside of the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4391
2Leeds Utd4490
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4384
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4366
8Coventry City4263