Claude Puel Sacked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Robert Huth:

"We had managers before who were really energetic, positive vibes... when he came in it was pretty much the opposite. It was almost like he was working against the players. If things don't go well you need someone to point it out and be brutally honest. It's been creeping in, they've been a bit slow. When that happens you need someone to grab you by the scruff of the neck. Quite frankly I don't think he was the guy to do that. Ultimately you need someone to set high standards for you. I don't suppose there will be too many disappointed players in the changing room today after they heard the news."
Wow! That says it all.

Ndidi has had 2 decent games this season. He has been shackled by poor tactical decisions.

Maddison has hardly ever played as a proper No. 10 because he has had to do the work of two or three players and come too deep for the ball almost every game he has played as a result of the midfield setup and personnel employed in games by Puel.

Mendy I agree with you on.

I don't know what the bollocks Maguire has to do to convince some people. He's an exceptional player who has either had to carry other CBs this year or keep making runs into midfield because no ****er else there can be bothered to do anything creative. Without him this season we would have lost even more games. Sometimes he has been our best and most attacking midfielder... that tells you all you need to know.

Choudhury performs very well both on and off the ball and then sees himself replaced by Mendy and or Ndidi at the first given opportunity, even though both have been woefully out of form for most of the season. This sends a terrible message to him and to others aspiring to get into the first eleven.

Nacho isn't good enough under any manager - I agree.

Ndidi has had many more than 2 decent games - he's one of the leagues best DMs. The problem is he is young so it's natural to have ups and downs in form but out fans expect him to play like Viera at his peak week in week out. Ndidi has most certainly not been shackled by being played in his best position all season.

Maddison has played as a 10 almost all season but again he is young. He has struggled more as the season has gone on but Puel had brought it Tielemans to change this??

Maguire could start by marking players at the most important times and not wondering out from the back when it leaves us woefully exposed. Evans, Soyuncu, Benkovic plus a shed load of cash if we sold Maguire for a replacement really wouldn't leave us worse off.

Choudhury is the same age as the likes of Chilwell, Barnes, Gray, Ndidi, Nachos & Maddison etc but he's not featured much in comparison to any of them under any of the previous managers. That to me, and from what I have seen of him suggests he's not what people on here seem to think. He's a decent player who runs around a lot but you can't say he's better than who is ahead of him.

Nachos is actually a good player, it's just we don't, and many said it when we signed him, good player but wrong team. We really don't play to his strengths as he's an awesome finisher, but we want him to play the run yourself into the ground every game role which isn't his game at all.

Not much is wrong with the squad at all and Puel has to take credit for building a very good one with potential.

I just hope we have a new manager that compliments what we have rather than something completely different as I see it similar to the Pearson to Ranieri situation in that we have an excellent base, we just need someone to come in to apply the finishing touches rather than laying their own foundations.

Ndidi has had many more than 2 decent games - he's one of the leagues best DMs. The problem is he is young so it's natural to have ups and downs in form but out fans expect him to play like Viera at his peak week in week out. Ndidi has most certainly not been shackled by being played in his best position all season.

Maddison has played as a 10 almost all season but again he is young. He has struggled more as the season has gone on but Puel had brought it Tielemans to change this??

Maguire could start by marking players at the most important times and not wondering out from the back when it leaves us woefully exposed. Evans, Soyuncu, Benkovic plus a shed load of cash if we sold Maguire for a replacement really wouldn't leave us worse off.

Choudhury is the same age as the likes of Chilwell, Barnes, Gray, Ndidi, Nachos & Maddison etc but he's not featured much in comparison to any of them under any of the previous managers. That to me, and from what I have seen of him suggests he's not what people on here seem to think. He's a decent player who runs around a lot but you can't say he's better than who is ahead of him.

Nachos is actually a good player, it's just we don't, and many said it when we signed him, good player but wrong team. We really don't play to his strengths as he's an awesome finisher, but we want him to play the run yourself into the ground every game role which isn't his game at all.

Not much is wrong with the squad at all and Puel has to take credit for building a very good one with potential.

I just hope we have a new manager that compliments what we have rather than something completely different as I see it similar to the Pearson to Ranieri situation in that we have an excellent base, we just need someone to come in to apply the finishing touches rather than laying their own foundations.
I assume by 'finishing touches' you mean applying some tactics so that we can play football?

I agree. We need a manager that can get the best out of this squad, which is excellent, rather than come and change everything.

I have seen very few managers that play almost entirely to the strengths of the team. Is it an arrogance thing that they all want to play their own style?

I assume by 'finishing touches' you mean applying some tactics so that we can play football?

But we play really good football for the whole, some excellent build up play and moves but it gets a bit limp when we get in the box for whatever reason.

That goal at spurs the other week was something like 20-30 passes in the build up it was fantastic!

I honestly think a lot of our fans would be better of supporting Burnley and watching hoofball every week or supporting Chelsea so they can enjoy calling for the managers head every year.

Yeah, Percy, but who are we to ask for something more than a load of turgid shite and one point out of eighteen ?

Fickle 'entitled' bastards....

Robert Huth:

"We had managers before who were really energetic, positive vibes... when he came in it was pretty much the opposite. It was almost like he was working against the players. If things don't go well you need someone to point it out and be brutally honest. It's been creeping in, they've been a bit slow. When that happens you need someone to grab you by the scruff of the neck. Quite frankly I don't think he was the guy to do that. Ultimately you need someone to set high standards for you. I don't suppose there will be too many disappointed players in the changing room today after they heard the news."
I'm looking forward to Huth's managerial career

I agree with this.

I can see why the club hired Puel in that he probably said the right things in the interview. I don't think his football "philosophy" is wrong, I just think he's too stubbornly stuck to it and forgot he also has to win games.

I've said a few times recently that I find it more frustrating than anything because it feels we are 70% of the way to being a good side, and that's whats so frustrating. Because we all know it can be better.

It needs someone to come in and build on what's here. Not tear apart what we've started to build.

There's a lot of talented young players here, and some experienced heads to guide them including a very good goalscorer in Vardy.

I agree with this.

I can see why the club hired Puel in that he probably said the right things in the interview. I don't think his football "philosophy" is wrong, I just think he's too stubbornly stuck to it and forgot he also has to win games.

I've said a few times recently that I find it more frustrating than anything because it feels we are 70% of the way to being a good side, and that's whats so frustrating. Because we all know it can be better.

It needs someone to come in and build on what's here. Not tear apart what we've started to build.

There's a lot of talented young players here, and some experienced heads to guide them including a very good goalscorer in Vardy.
Would explain the heavy tipping of Rodgers, he's got a real track record of bringing on youth (which I certainly hope we continue with), Benitez less so

Pick a system that works for his players would be a good idea. Puel picks a style and didn't seem to care that it wasn't working. There are more ways to play than just counter attack or Puelball. Hopefully the next bloke will try and play something the players are capable of doing.

I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with tasking a manager to get the most out of the players at his disposal by playing a system that suits them. But it should be recognised that this is a short term objective, where a long term objective might be to give game time to youngsters or develop a recognisable style of play, both of which might involve sacrificing results in the short term for long term gain.

I'm not convinced one way is any better than the other, but if you're going to give a manager a long term remit, as it appears Puel was, then I don't think it's particularly fair to then sack them because results aren't perfect in the short term.

It just leaves me wondering what we're trying to achieve as a club. If we're not going to back managers with big money to make immediately impactful signings, and we're not going to give managers time to develop young players and budget options, then how is anyone ever going to succeed here? We've sacked three managers in three seasons and if we keep doing this then I think we all know how it ends.

We've sacked three managers in three seasons and if we keep doing this then I think we all know how it ends.
It doesn't seem to be doing Watford much harm. In fact, I would say they have got better and better over the past few years.

If we had kept this complete twonk I know full well where it was going to end - down the shitter

Keeping a hopeless manager in place just for the sake of it is a bloody ridiculous thing to do

I don't think it's particularly fair to then sack them because results aren't perfect in the short term.

It just leaves me wondering what we're trying to achieve as a club. If we're not going to back managers with big money to make immediately impactful signings, and we're not going to give managers time to develop young players and budget options, then how is anyone ever going to succeed here? We've sacked three managers in three seasons and if we keep doing this then I think we all know how it ends.

This isn’t about ambition or unrealistic expectations. I think most people would have been happy with a few steps forward with a few steps backward. But even then you’ve got to win some games and the list of teams we’ve failed to beat over the period of a year has been his undoing. He can’t excuse himself for that, even Cardiff and Southampton are winning the odd game against other teams which at present we are not doing.

I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with tasking a manager to get the most out of the players at his disposal by playing a system that suits them. But it should be recognised that this is a short term objective, where a long term objective might be to give game time to youngsters or develop a recognisable style of play, both of which might involve sacrificing results in the short term for long term gain.

Ture. It depends on how long the short term is before you give up. The short term with this failed project appears to have lasted more than a season with little improvement.

It’s been refreshing to see very little uproar from media and “experts” that we had the cheek to sack a manager who had got little old Leicester to this lofty position in the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757