Claude Puel Sacked

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s been refreshing to see very little uproar from media and “experts” that we had the cheek to sack a manager who had got little old Leicester to this lofty position in the table.

Media were highly critical over his decision to piss about in the cups. Opposition fans still seem to think sacking a shit manager means we expect to win the league again though, bless em.

Opposition fans still seem to think sacking a shit manager means we expect to win the league again though, bless em.

And some of our own dullards

Martin Allen would probably give you that...
Holloway was great too.

Martin Allen and Ian Holloway are often linked together since they managed in the same season. This is unfair to Holloway.
.Martin Allen was sacked "for non football reasons"
Ian Holloway was understandably sacked for bad football results, He may have been a poor manager but he seems to have been a good man..

Martin Allen and Ian Holloway are often linked together since they managed in the same season. This is unfair to Holloway.
.Martin Allen was sacked "for non football reasons"
Ian Holloway was understandably sacked for bad football results, He may have been a poor manager but he seems to have been a good man..

Both the above are perfect examples of when it is important to make a decision about a manager quickly. Allen was out of his depth and had personal issues which made him clearly inappropriate for the role. Holloway was a decent appointment in theory but it clearly went wrong quite early on.

Sousa is another that was clearly not right for the club from very early on. Shakespeare was someone suited to a short term fix only, he was never management material. We gave Dave Bassett six months and it was too long.

Some of these were good men indeed. Some were good managers elsewhere at times. All were undeniably hopeless for us.

Puel should have gone by last summer at the latest because he is in this same category.

I honestly believe that our owners were so struck by the criticism of their decision to sack Ranieri that they've been wounded into hesitating to make obvious decisions on Shakespeare and then Puel. And we've suffered as a result. Two wasted years because of hesitation and weakness at the top.

Now we need to be strong and purposeful. The lack of criticism of this decision maybe will help them to get their heads right.

I would like to thank Claude for a few things, firstly for guiding the club through its hardest period in its history; and for developing the youth of the club. I believe that youth development is the right way forward and the post Premiership winning rebuild will take time, but his starting it will in the end pay off hopefully.
For dealing with the Vichai tragedy, Puel led the club through that turmoil impeccably along with Susan Whelan and many others we dealt with that situation beautifully.

As for the football, I was a fan of Puel's as you know, right up until Zaha scored yesterday (and I was there, one of the many 5 hour round trips). When that goal went in, our entire team gave up and that is absolutely the fault of the manager.

As BN has said, and many other posters on here, whom I respect massively their opinions, we need to carry on the youth development, but with a manager all respect.

After Ranieri and Shakespeare went, I remember several of the players going onto social media quite quickly making statements about them.

It's a bit quiet today isn't it? Not even anything from the kids?

Ndidi has had 2 decent games this season. He has been shackled by poor tactical decisions.

Maddison has hardly ever played as a proper No. 10 because he has had to do the work of two or three players and come too deep for the ball almost every game he has played as a result of the midfield setup and personnel employed in games by Puel.

Mendy I agree with you on.

I don't know what the bollocks Maguire has to do to convince some people. He's an exceptional player who has either had to carry other CBs this year or keep making runs into midfield because no ****er else there can be bothered to do anything creative. Without him this season we would have lost even more games. Sometimes he has been our best and most attacking midfielder... that tells you all you need to know.

Choudhury performs very well both on and off the ball and then sees himself replaced by Mendy and or Ndidi at the first given opportunity, even though both have been woefully out of form for most of the season. This sends a terrible message to him and to others aspiring to get into the first eleven.

Nacho isn't good enough under any manager - I agree.

Bang on with every point.

I still retain a glimmer of hope with Nacho. The Nacho I remember at Man City was powerful, driven and an instinctive finisher. He happened to have a talent for being in the right position at the right time. in 2016 he scored 16 goals in the calendar year at the age of 19/20. He's still only 22.

I don't think that I can remember a situation with a striker who lacked so much confidence. It's so clear to see that he's struggling to keep his head above water and who could blame him? He's had Craig Shakespeare as his boss for a grand total of two months and then passed on to Claude Puel who couldn't organise a prayer in a mosque.

I think a half-decent manager who can give him some confidence and play him for more than 20 minutes will do him the world of good. A few goals, playing in position preferably with a partner and we might have a great striker.

In terms of Puel, well overdue dismissal.

I'd love to see some real ambitious attempts to recruit a top manager. We have so much to offer.

Rodgers would be a good appointment imo as he's done well at Swansea, Liverpool and Celtic. He's managed under low and high expectations. The Liverpool job is no mean feat, just ask all of their managers over the last 30 years. Gerrard and others have commented at just how good his man management is also. He plays good, attractive football and scores plenty of goals. I don't see why everyone's panicking at the thought of appoint Rodgers.

Laurent Blanc would be phenomenal but improbable and still a risk. He does know the PL from his time at Man Utd though. The football he played at PSG was excellent. One thing's for sure, he'd attract top top talent and we'd retain our top players.

If you're Maguire, Kasper, N'Didi, Chilwell, Tielemans, Vardy....you want an inspiring boss after Puel.

After Ranieri and Shakespeare went, I remember several of the players going onto social media quite quickly making statements about them.

It's a bit quiet today isn't it? Not even anything from the kids?

Noticed that too. Could mean any number of things but none of them particularly good.

Interesting quote from Stowell regarding Puel.

"Every manager has a different personality, what you got with Claude was what you saw," he said.
"But his coaching and football knowledge was excellent."

"Every manager has a different personality, what you got with Claude was what you saw," he said.

I think there are negatives and positives to almost every situation. Puel has brought through and given chances to plenty of young talent. A few players have mentioned him as having a positive influence on their career, including Eden Hazard. I actually have enjoyed watching our team being able to improve on their range of passing and we are clearly much more comfortable on the ball now than we have been in the past which is a new tool we can use going forward. If we now bring a manager in who can turn that possession into a final product and use our hard-working, counter-attacking blueprint to win matches, we could be very tasty. Puel just clearly wasn't up to the entire job. I've no doubt that Puel will go back to France and perform very well. Perhaps he's just very much suited to the French leagues. As with so many managers who come from abroad, it seems he failed to adapt well enough to the Premier League.

From Geoff Peters ...

From the outside, based purely on league position, it may look a harsh decision for #lcfc to sack Claude Puel. But issues ran deeper and needed addressing. People inside the club blamed him for a toxic atmosphere. It was draining for them and unsustainable.
Puel never really connected with #lcfc fans. They rarely sang his name. He was guilty of doing little to create a bond. The team often played in his style – dour, uninspiring. Nobody wants a rent-a-quote clown in charge but you need someone to inspire and lead from the front.
Puel started brightly but as he began to change the way #lcfc played it rarely clicked. Stubbornness can sometimes be applauded but an unwillingness to listen to advice and tweak things – on and off the field – helped lead to his undoing.
Puel should be applauded for trying something new and for promoting youth. His vision had merit even if he didn’t have the skills to fully implement what he wanted. He also had to cope with the most difficult of circumstances after the crash and by all accounts dealt with it well.
Various people at the club complained of Puel’s inability to properly handle players and staff. Notwithstanding the language barrier, his communication skills weren’t great. Not just with the media – and he was often boring and hard to understand – but with others.
Perhaps Puel just doesn’t really ‘get’ English football. He picked up some occasional good results at both #lcfc and #saintsfc but ultimately the fans at both didn’t buy into his largely safety-first vision. Team selection, especially in cups, was an obvious issue too.
Puel should rightly be appreciated for moving the club forward in some ways. One example is Ben Chilwell. He would’ve broken through anyway but Puel pushed him centre stage and he responded quickly. Puel’s #lcfc legacy has some genuine bright spots. But just not enough of them.
“Be careful what you wish for.” Yeah, that old chestnut. Puel’s sacking was the right call regardless of if the next appointment ends in failure. #lcfc fans are not overly entitled and never expect a 15/16 season miracle again. It’s not wrong to up the ambition levels is it?

Basically reads he was really good with the football stuff but he didn't make enough funnies or was one of the lads.

Least we have now got the footballing genius that is Stowell in charge....

Spare a thought for Jacques Bonnevay who has been sacked along with Puel. He is certainly not to blame.

At times Puel consulted Mike Stowell or Adam Sadler, Jacques just sat there looking wise Neither Puel or anybody else disturbed his reverie. Like Kipling he saw victory and defeat as imposters and treated them just the same.

He would get up at half time and perhaps enjoy a well earned tisane. I was impressed that he noticed half time since it was the only indication that he was following the game at all.

Spare a thought for Jacques Bonnevay ... just sat there looking wise Neither Puel or anybody else disturbed his reverie. Like Kipling he saw victory and defeat as imposters and treated them just the same.

He would get up at half time and perhaps enjoy a well earned tisane. I was impressed that he noticed half time since it was the only indication that he was following the game at all.
"They also serve who only stand and wait."
and wait, and wait...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4284
5West Brom4372
6Norwich City4371