Claudio Ranieri Appointed Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a Pearson fan I was sorry the way his tenure ended. After his demise I read somewhere that Ranieri had expressed an interest in the City job, I didn't attach any importance to it, so I was very surprised when he was appointed. The negative comments by the pundits sort of got my back up and I thought at least give him a chance, he didn't do to bad at Chelsea after all, a point most of them over-looked. So far he has proven to be a more than a worthy successor, tactically he is one of the most astute managers ever to be in charge at Leicester, better certainly than Pearson. He has taken Pearson's squad and turned them into a Premier League team capable of beating even the so called 'top teams', I'm really looking forward to the next few matches with optimism rather pessimism.

I never wrote Claudio off at the time of his appointment but to be fair to most posters who did question him succeeding Pearson, I understand the nervousness. I was shocked and saddened by the timing of Pearson's departure and feared for the repercussions, and whilst I was always prepared to give CR a fair crack of the whip, I did have some fears as to whether this would go horribly wrong.

However for me Claudio has been a breath of fresh air, bright and bubbly with a great media presence, but most importantly he has bought into what the club and players are about, he has them playing for him and tactically he is head and shoulders above Pearson.

He has also handled the situation with NP's former back room team very well, he has integrated them superbly but by also having his own people in and around so as to ensure continuity in the event of one or two leaving. I hope Steve Walsh stays as his scouting ability aligned with CR will make us a formidable force.

Saturday was a tactical masterclass, we set up brilliantly, were well disciplined and look very solid against what is normally a very potent Palace attack. The team worked very hard but for me this was the most controlled performance of the season so far and very much in the Italian mould.

We are going to have setbacks but I am reasonably confident we have the right man in charge who is capable of pulling something out of the bag to get us back on the right track.

I always thought it would be difficult for a new manager to come in and enhance the spirit and get even more out of this group of players than NP did but Ranieri has done that and the results have been phenomenal.

I wonder how he'd have got on had the backroom team left?

It is unquestionable that he's benefited from a set-up and squad that was years in the making, and one not in crisis like with most managerial appointments. But he hasn't ****ed it up, well done for not ****ing it up.

He has taken Pearson's squad and turned them into a Premier League team capable of beating even the so called 'top teams',

Whoa, just a minute............

I'm not disagreeing but let's wait until we have played Manure, Cheatski and Man City before getting too carried away. Our record so far against the 'traditional' top teams is :
P1 - W0 - D0 - L1 - F2 - A5 - Pts-0

I'm not disagreeing but let's wait until we have played Manure, Cheatski and Man City before getting too carried away. Our record so far against the 'traditional' top teams is :

That's an excellent point Spion and reading Borderfox's post I have to agree with you. There's no evidence whatsoever that Claudio's Leicester side are capable of 'beating the top teams'

We've beaten or matched better teams than Chelsea this season. Fair muff about the other 2 though.

That's an excellent point Spion and reading Borderfox's post I have to agree with you. There's no evidence whatsoever that Claudio's Leicester side are capable of 'beating the top teams'

They don't need to, and surely nobody expects them to?

The thing I like about Ranieri is the Italian tactician element that he brings to the club. Italian managers in general are astute tacticians, in fact the average Italian supporter has more interest in tactics than the entire British footballing media put together.

Some people see Italian football as dull, it's simply a set of teams with less resources being extremely shrewd and gaining advantage through actually using tactics rather than money.

In the Premier League and England in general, if a player isn't working out we simply buy a new one and discard, in Italy they find ways of improving lesser players and accommodate them in systems, Ranieri has certainly improved our players, and most importantly has them thriving in a system that Pearson struggled to use effectively with the majority of the same personnel.

Don't get me wrong, our style is as far removed from the catenaccio system of minimising risk that Italy was once famous for, but Claudio has used his tactical knowledge throughout games to manage situations as they arrive, this is something that the majority of Premier League managers can't do, in fact look at the difference between a chancer like Sherwood and our Claudio, unbelievable chasm in footballing knowledge.

I am delighted to say I backed the appointment from the very beginning, a little research beyond that of the lacklustre British media suggested he has always improved teams, we are another, and probably final example of this great record Imo.

Forza Claudio

The Crystal Palace game confirmed my love for Claudio. The fact that he didn't just stick with the same formation and style of play they had just won us 4 great away points, says it all about his tactical nous. He definitely knows how to set the team up to match the opposition. The media are pointing to the fact that Palace has an off day in an attacking sense, but that is because we made them.

The only mistake I think he has made this season was the Arsenal game where we should have set up similar to the Palace game. Whilst the Arsenal game was very entertaining, it was also very naive thinking we can play Arsenal at their own game, in my opinion.

The Crystal Palace game confirmed my love for Claudio. The fact that he didn't just stick with the same formation and style of play they had just won us 4 great away points, says it all about his tactical nous. He definitely knows how to set the team up to match the opposition. The media are pointing to the fact that Palace has an off day in an attacking sense, but that is because we made them.

The only mistake I think he has made this season was the Arsenal game where we should have set up similar to the Palace game. Whilst the Arsenal game was very entertaining, it was also very naive thinking we can play Arsenal at their own game, in my opinion.
Whilst I agree we were slightly naive in the Arsenal game, you forget we could have been 3-0 up and arguably out of sight before Arsenal scored. Had that happened it could have been a different game entirely.

Claudio said on Radio Leicester that they learnt as a group from the Arsenal game that we needed to be smarter against counter attacks and they took that into the Palace game. They couldn't go throwing complete caution to the wind and expect to come away with anything. I think a lot of us (myself included) were worried by Palace, who are good away from home and at counter attacking, but I think Claudio had them worked out very early on.

I believe it was BN who said, if Palace score they don't lose (using previous stats on their away games), they didn't score and they lost. I really thought as a defensive unit we looked relatively unphased on Saturday, Claudio had their game plan sussed and more to the point had the lads execute ours to perfection.

It was also clear from the Southampton game how passionate he is during the game. Whilst mostly calm, but not scribbling notes etc, the last 10 minutes when he was whipping up the fans into a wall of noise, that was MON at his best.

Spurs?

Never mind the top teams.. we actually beat the lesser teams now. It's the complete reverse of the "normal" Leicester City - we've always had flashes of brilliance against one or two of the best teams in top flight seasons and then lost to the ones we expected to beat...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4284
5West Brom4372
6Norwich City4371
7Hull City4265
8Coventry City4263