Contract Calamity Coming . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
We'd surely take £40m for Maddison. It's just throwing money away if we don't grow up and accept where we are.
Your take of where we are bears no relation to reality in this thread.

I. as anyone who posts, accepts that others may not agree with them, but you, along with a few others on here don’t ever seem to be able to balance the situation or, indeed, apply rationale.

It’s always the end of the world but the sun is never out or even trying to peep out from behind the clouds.

I bet if you witnessed a partial solar eclipse, you would claim that it was the middle of the ****ing night.

That 2023 list is £100m+ of transfer fees that we’re going to be letting go for free.

If you can’t see there’s a problem with that, then you’re an ostrich.

That 2023 list is £100m+ of transfer fees that we’re going to be letting go for free.

If you can’t see there’s a problem with that, then you’re an ostrich.
Yes you’re right. Just like when you said we were relegated under BR.

You will excuse me, if I don’t necessarily take your views as perhaps, balanced?

I. as anyone who posts, accepts that others may not agree with them, but you, along with a few others on here don’t ever seem to be able to balance the situation or, indeed, apply rationale.

It’s always the end of the world but the sun is never out or even trying to peep out from behind the clouds.

I bet if you witnessed a partial solar eclipse, you would claim that it was the middle of the ****ing night.

1668362637084.png

Making out things are worse than they is also not helpful.

We have always replaced well bar, perhaps Mahrez who is probably irreplaceable.

Centre Back is a good example. Look at the continuation we have had there versus the prices we have paid and funds generated.

We sold Maguire for £80m and bought Fofana for £30 million. We sold Fofana for £60 million and bought Faes.

Yes we have bought some duffers but doesn’t everyone? Overall our recruitment is brilliant, but we are always going to lose most players when north of £250k per week is wafted in front of us.

Maddison is a great example. I believe we are trying to realtain him but if he wants to go, it is difficult to keep him. In todays market he is north of £70 million.

He either signs or we sell him, it’s that simple.
Is he replaceable? It will be very difficult but the evidence of history suggests so.

I am happy for Youri (in his current situation) to run down his contract and leave on a free but I’m sure we are trying to avoid any repeat of this.

I not overly concerned by our current situation, we are once again investing wisely on players and even more wisely on infrastructure.
Maddison 70m but Youri going on a free.

I don’t get it.

Yes you’re right. Just like when you said we were relegated under BR.

You will excuse me, if I don’t necessarily take your views as perhaps, balanced?
I might wait until we’re more than 4 points clear before saying we’re not going to be relegated

No. You don't get how it works. The usual suspects who know every single inner working and financial detail of the club and its owners said we were relegated after 5 games, so we definitely will be. They also said Ward would be a disaster and couldn't ever possibly get any better at all with playing time so, again, they must be right. They're also the same bunch who keep telling us we've nothing but a spider's fart in our bank account and so, inevitably, we need to sell everything for a shiny tuppence to balance the books.

You have to be a miserable **** and look for the next disaster. Thems the rules.

Of all the players you've mentioned there are only 5 I would like to see sign a new contract and 2 that probably will:

Amartey
Maddison
Tielemans
Ndidi
Thomas

The rest should be moved on in the summer either via a free transfer or sold. Possible Ndidi, Tielemans and Maddison could all go this summer.

You could see the odd extension (Evans, Albrighton, Praet) but I'd be surprised.

While you could view this as a problem - I see it as a real opportunity to invest - the wage bill will be drastically reduced, we should recoup some transfer funds. That said - we need to be busy in January - a midfielder and a right winger should be a priority. I'm not that concerned.

I'd try and get some cash for Ndidi.

We need a freshen up and he's nowhere near what he used to be,

The squad is far too big. That doesn't mean that players we've spent a lot of money on should be allowed to leave for low prices or free.

We've misjudged the market badly over the last couple of years. I think we've overpaid and undersold far too often. We're now in a poor situation and clubs will pick off players and not leave us with the income to replace them.

Our other failure is to pay players too high a wage. There are several that are staying put in full knowledge that they've got no chance of matching the salary elswehere that we're paying. That's more poor work from the club.

Because of all this, we can't afford to not consider offers for the likes of Tielemans, Maddison and Ndidi in January. We will not be spending 'new' money in the transfer market because our finances are a mess.

So we either let players run down contracts and replace them with kids or free transfers or we sell whilst we can. We haven't gone to the trouble we have in bringing in Martyn Glover for him to operate only in the free transfer market.

The points we've picked up recently are more likely to mean we allow players to move than not. We couldn't afford to let Tielemans go in January if we're in the bottom three. Now, a £15m offer would be very difficult to turn down. It really wouldn't be a surprise to see Maddison go in January too.

Pretending that things are fine doesn't mean that they are.
Just putting my helmet on for incoming here ( it is just my opinion gents):

1. Has anyone considered that the players are running down their contracts as a result of the comments BR made last year after our exit against Forest in the FA Cup?

2. Could it be the lack of investment in the summer was a direct result of a loss of confidence of the board in BR, lets be honest his team and recruitment has been poor, I recall reading that when he signed his contract he was given more control which coincided with poor acquisitioning?

3. The players uptake in form are not because they are totally behind BR but more that several of our first team players were making sure they made their national squads for the world cup?

If Maddison starts for England and becomes a stand out player he will be gone in the January transfer window and I fully expect Newcastle to wade back in now they are 3rd and could realistically qualify for the champions league. Out of the players you have listed around 4 of them are critical and hopefully the board are allowing the rest to run down their contracts, how many of those players did we try to move on this summer? In my opinion BR was correct in stating that the squad needed freshening last season hopefully it will not be with his say so.

I have seen no evidence yet of BR bringing in young players KDH and Thomas were a direct result of injuries and COVID and tbf they took their opportunity well. BR has had plenty of opportunity to blood young talent at the end of last season and this season he simply has not done it.

I would really like to know what has happened to soyuncu he would have been a perfect foil for Faes, anyone here who thinks Amartey is the solution are deluded one good game against Everton does not paper over the cracks.

The solution is to bring in 3 or 4 players in January providing we are able to do so and another 5 or 6 in the summer if that means we go back to taking risk like we did under NP (admittedly being in league 1 provided more flex) so be it. I believe we have recruited the right man to get us the players required his track record at Southampton speaks volumes.

With regards to the players not playing for BR and ensuring their WC places I hope I am seriously wrong on this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757