Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Al's Kitchen on YouTube has been a big help to me.

Learning to make Indian restaurant style curries, not because I wank to it.
I’ll check that out. I used to cook loads of different things but I’ve been a bit lazy with it recently.

Learn a language? On holiday a good few years ago, before we had kids, I studied a fair bit of Italian. I was already pretty fluent in French, but fancied learning something different. I can still remember quite a bit of it now and am thinking I may go back to it over Christmas this year.

Might not be your thing, but it’s something I enjoy.

Watch kays good cooking on you tube

I can’t believe just how inept this government is in dealing with this virus.

Complete ineptitude from start to finish.

I can’t believe just how inept this government is in dealing with this virus.

Complete ineptitude from start to finish.

I didn't think they could get any more incompetent but they have reached new lows over the last few weeks.

Living in London is no fun at the moment, as other entire counties and cities would no doubt endorse.

this 70% new strain is rubbish, it was known about in September so would have been around months before it was discovered.

There is a serious Orwellian question here that needs to be asked quickly and repeatedly. This cannot continue until Easter.

Nobody is explaining how it is 70% more transmittable than the first strain?

If they don’t understand/can’t back up the “data” (they have form throughout this for presenting incorrect data), then how can they lock down whole swathes of the country.

I don’t trust them any more than I would Brian Clough in a room with a bottle of alcohol.

There needs to be greater accountability and proof.

They don't know how it is. They just know it is.

If they don’t understand/can’t back up the “data” (they have form throughout this for presenting incorrect data), then how can they lock down whole swathes of the country.
Do you think they're making up the positive test numbers?
Do you think they're making up the number of people in hospital?

Would you rather believe conspiracy theorists than scientists and doctors?

They don't know how it is. They just know it is.
On the contrary, they do know; I heard it explained. In simple terms the mutated virus has more of the sticky out bits and they are more sticky than previously.

It depends which scientists you believe. Perhaps we should believe those scientists and their mouthpieces who have consistently provided incorrect data, such as:

The overall numbers of deaths, adjusted down by over 10K earlier in the year.

The 4000 people who were going to die daily as a result of the spread.

There are literally dozens of inaccuracies not only I within the data but also in the presentation of the same, such as the announcement on Saturday that this was a new strain when in fact it is probably 6 months old.

This same rhetoric is then used to scaremonger the general public into ‘blindly’ following these instructions.

I’m not suggesting any kind of conspiracy theory, I am pointing out that the ‘facts’ are not so, and with this in mind THIS government needs to provide more data and be able to 100% justify any action taken.

I might add, this is peoples lives and the future of our children we are dealing with and not some sort of brinkmanship game.

We have only just finished repaying the money borrowed to fund WW1.

On the contrary, they do know; I heard it explained. In simple terms the mutated virus has more of the sticky out bits and they are more sticky than previously.
They know how it's mutated, but not how that makes it spread more easily. There's a theory that it's taking longer for the immune system to get rid of it, so it's having more of a chance to spread.

It depends which scientists you believe. Perhaps we should believe those scientists and their mouthpieces who have consistently provided incorrect data, such as:

The overall numbers of deaths, adjusted down by over 10K earlier in the year.

The 4000 people who were going to die daily as a result of the spread.

There are literally dozens of inaccuracies not only I within the data but also in the presentation of the same, such as the announcement on Saturday that this was a new strain when in fact it is probably 6 months old.

This same rhetoric is then used to scaremonger the general public into ‘blindly’ following these instructions.

I’m not suggesting any kind of conspiracy theory, I am pointing out that the ‘facts’ are not so, and with this in mind THIS government needs to provide more data and be able to 100% justify any action taken.
When you rise to the top on a wave of populism, it suddenly becomes very hard to make unpopular decisions, because it's literally all you are capable of. Johnson has found this out with the whole Brexit bollocks because he's realising that the other leaders don't give a monkeys about his cheeky-chappy charm or his Latin. They are professionals, he isn't. Look at every decision the government have made, from locking down too late on March to opening up quickly (after promising to go slow) and to a track and trace system that still hasn't reached the levels they promised for when schools opened - they were all made and declared to appease his adoring public. There are still members of my own family who think he's doing a good job.
Of course, when you ask them what positive things he's done, all you get is "he's doing his best","nobody could have predicted this" or "oh, I suppose Corbyn would have done better?", rather than anything he has actually done.
I suppose the short answer is, there are a **** tonne of cases and it's rising, the specific numbers are almost irrelevant to the man on the street. What they need to do is make a decision that is based on anything other than populism. Christmas should never have been 5 days, but it was a great headline to say he'd given us back Christmas. Now he looks like a ****.

The government have made a complete ****ing mess of this whole thing. That goes without saying. Nobody could possibly argue otherwise.

The key thing throughout this epidemic has been to follow the science. It is a phrase that members of the government have rolled out routinely but not actually followed, or more often they have only followed it too late.

You can only have one of the worst death rates and one of the worst economic impacts if you've done just about everything incompetently. We have two incredible advantages in this country too. We have a National Health Service which can be coordinated quickly and efficiently. We are also an island so we can control people entering and leaving.

Following the science means doing exactly that. Plenty of countries have managed it easily enough. We need to listen to the experts and do what they tell us to immediately or pre-emptively.

That's it. It is no more complicated than that.

The statistics are actually quite easy to follow if you accept that excess deaths are largely equivalent to COVID related deaths. Some people will have died that wouldn't (i.e. not seeking medical attention when they ordinarily would), whilst others will have been prevented from dying by the restrictions (i.e. fewer road deaths). I trust the numbers from Chris Giles (FT) and his latest number is 84,800. He has shown his workings throughout and his predications are always extremely accurate.

I trust the science and do whatever the science suggests, whether the government tell me to or not.

The government have made a complete ****ing mess of this whole thing. That goes without saying. Nobody could possibly argue otherwise.

The key thing throughout this epidemic has been to follow the science. It is a phrase that members of the government have rolled out routinely but not actually followed, or more often they have only followed it too late.

You can only have one of the worst death rates and one of the worst economic impacts if you've done just about everything incompetently. We have two incredible advantages in this country too. We have a National Health Service which can be coordinated quickly and efficiently. We are also an island so we can control people entering and leaving.

Following the science means doing exactly that. Plenty of countries have managed it easily enough. We need to listen to the experts and do what they tell us to immediately or pre-emptively.

That's it. It is no more complicated than that.

The statistics are actually quite easy to follow if you accept that excess deaths are largely equivalent to COVID related deaths. Some people will have died that wouldn't (i.e. not seeking medical attention when they ordinarily would), whilst others will have been prevented from dying by the restrictions (i.e. fewer road deaths). I trust the numbers from Chris Giles (FT) and his latest number is 84,800. He has shown his workings throughout and his predications are always extremely accurate.

I trust the science and do whatever the science suggests, whether the government tell me to or not.
Exactly this. There's another fecking meme going round at the minute telling people to blame the crowds not Johnson. They all need blaming. When it became obvious that some nobheads couldn't stay away from the pubs after they knew they'd be closing (this should have been obvious anyway, but the scenes on March should have been enough if not), then any closure of pubs should have been done that night or the next lunchtime, not in two night's time.
The idiots who went out and partied are to blame, but so are the idiots who didn't recognise idiotic human behaviour and allowed it to continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757