Cup and Ball - OR - Yo-Yo

Cup and Ball - OR - Yo-Yo

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe_Fox

What children's toy best describes Leicester City Football Club.

Before the age of Playstation and even before the age of Commodore 64's, children still managed to have fun. They had a plethora of toys in their juvenile armoury including two well documented hand-eye coordination testing games (HECTG's)

The Yo-Yo (Some historians argue a multiple site origin, but currently the most accepted theory is that the toy originated in China around 1000 B.C.) is a well used word relating to football teams that are promoted followed by instant relegation, followed by instant promotion. This is hard for the fans because on one hand there is jubilation and celebration and on the other there is a rancid stain of relegation. In recent years (1990 onwards) Leicester City have been a Yo-Yo only in the hands of a very poor Yo-Yo player. In other words, our longest run of up and down and up and down has been up, down, up. As unsavoury as it tastes, it looks like we will be on the down this year, and we will have to match this sequence of 3 seasons and no consecutive stay in the same league if we wish to get promoted next year.

This brings me to another children's favourite, the Cup and Ball. (Many Mexicans make their money from selling things that they make to tourists who come to visit the bustling border town) The Cup and Ball has, in my experience, never been used as a word to describe football teams but now, thankfully, it has. I would propose that a team who are tagged as a "Cup and Ball" team are a team that are promoted and then either fall straight back down or stay up. (until one day the operator of the team decides he is bored and let's the team drop off it's proverbial cup of victory) I would argue that Leicester could be classed as a Cup and Ball team. After our last run in with the Yo-Yo we did indeed become a ball which nestled neatly into the spherical curves of our Premiership cup and stayed there for a few years. They we dropped out of the cup when a big oaf named Taylor came and had a play with O'Neill cup and ball toy. (not as rude as it appears)

Then game the Adams reign. Is he playing with a Yo-Yo or a Cup and Ball. Obviously he hopes it's a Cup and Ball but his toy, is of late, taking on more similarity to a Yo-Yo.

Definition states that we are currently in the morphing stage between these toys. It could go one of two ways - Yo-Yo or Cup and Ball.

I, for one, hope we will make the nature defying metamorphosis into a Cup and Ball but, alas, I fear we will become a Yo-Yo which, if this is the case, a run of four years of changes in league will be required if we are to return to the Premiership for the 2005-6 season.

Let us all hope that we do indeed become the Cup and Ball team and survive this most peculiar of seasons.

Brilliant piece of writing, loved every word of it. Very strange, but definately magical. Keep The Faith

Call mulder and scully, get a new filed opened for Joe the mad yet excellent fox.

I'm pretty disappointed that this topic has gone about as far as Impey's international career.

Maybe the afternoon posters will deal with it.

Joe_Fox said:
I'm pretty disappointed that this topic has gone about as far as Impey's international career.

The forum is awful at present, since the move and since the OS got 'sexed up' by certain people off here, it's been abit bare. Where's RovRum?

Malf said:
Joe_Fox said:

The forum is awful at present, since the move and since the OS got 'sexed up' by certain people off here, it's been abit bare. Where's RovRum?
:wink:

I bet Webmaster likes this thread, it's got a bit of everything in my opinion. The best thread I've written in a long time.

Joe_Fox said:
I bet Webmaster likes this thread, it's got a bit of everything in my opinion. The best thread I've written in a long time.
Does he ever like your threads? :lol: :roll: :wink:

Craig said:
Joe_Fox said:
Does he ever like your threads? :lol: :roll: :wink:

He always PM's me when I write a good post, makes me feel special.

So you don't get many PM's then Malf? :wink:

This is going off topic Malf, and as it was such a good initial post, I want it to be reiterated.

What toy did you think we will be at the end of the season? Yo-Yo or Cup and Ball?

Joe_Fox said:
This is going off topic Malf, and as it was such a good initial post, I want it to be reiterated.

What toy did you think we will be at the end of the season? Yo-Yo or Cup and Ball?

Cup and Ball Joe, Cup and Ball.

I'm a little annoyed that this went down so badly. I thought Webbo would like it and even Oadby Fox. Oh well, never mind.

Joe_Fox said:
I'm a little annoyed that this went down so badly. I thought Webbo would like it and even Oadby Fox. Oh well, never mind.

Did you notice their wasn't a post on this forum from 3.31pm up until 10.20pm or something stupid like that!

Malf said:
Joe_Fox said:

Did you notice their wasn't a post on this forum from 3.31pm up until 10.20pm or something stupid like that!

Ridiculous, glory supporters I guess.

10000 not out

I love the archives I do - there are some real gems to be seen. It's like a photo album. Truly historic.

bringing back old posts is probably the most annoying thing you do and considering the range of annoyance you have in your posession then that is some annoyance

lazzer said:
bringing back old posts is probably the most annoying thing you do and considering the range of annoyance you have in your posession then that is some annoyance

That's three uses of the word (and its offspring) 'Annoyance'. That deserves a medal.

:038: :038:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758