Daniel Amartey

Status
Not open for further replies.
A premier league centre back in his own right now? He's been absolutely superb recently.
Absolutely. He is first choice alongside Wout. He deserves nothing but credit for his performances from the Palace game onwards. Wouldn’t drop him for anyone else in the squad.

Good luck at the World Cup, Dan!

Wasn’t he our best defender for a short period last season too?
He was. He was excellent for a while.

There's still that feeling that a disaster is looming at times but there's no doubt he has been absolutely brilliant of late.

After we were thrashed by Spurs, I commented that Faes wasn't an improvement on the defenders we already had. Delighted to say that since then - the whole defence has grown in confidence (including Ward) and improved with several clean sheets. Faes has really fitted in well and now Amartey is back to some of his best performances from last season. I wish them well in the WC.

I think it's down to having a good long run in the 1st team and playing every game, we are all so quick to start saying someome is shit and shouldn't be in the squad but it's usually when they have only just signed for the club and after a handful of games.
Soumare, Daka, Amartey and Ward are examples of this from this season. They have all been criticised rightly on some occasions but after a run of games they look very good now. (I'm aware Amartey and Ward have been at Leicester a while but the point remains)

I think it's down to having a good long run in the 1st team and playing every game, we are all so quick to start saying someome is shit and shouldn't be in the squad but it's usually when they have only just signed for the club and after a handful of games.
Soumare, Daka, Amartey and Ward are examples of this from this season. They have all been criticised rightly on some occasions but after a run of games they look very good now. (I'm aware Amartey and Ward have been at Leicester a while but the point remains)
Neither Soumare ot Daka look 'very good'. They both had some decent moments but, on the whole, they aren't setting the world alight.

Neither Soumare ot Daka look 'very good'. They both had some decent moments but, on the whole, they aren't setting the world alight.
They both looked good at their previous clubs and that was why Leicester signed them, I think they will both turn out to be good players for Leicester if given a chance, if they only play in the odd cup game or as back up players then it's going to be hard for them to gel into the team and perform.
Leicester don't have the money to go out and buy proven premier league players that will improve the starting 11 so they have to scout upcoming talent ane intergrate them into the squad and then give them game time, if we boo them on the 1st appearance the 1st time they lose possession or balloon a shot they have no chance.
Esteban Cambiasso wasn't very good to start with but he was given games and turned out brilliant

They both looked good at their previous clubs and that was why Leicester signed them, I think they will both turn out to be good players for Leicester if given a chance, if they only play in the odd cup game or as back up players then it's going to be hard for them to gel into the team and perform.
Leicester don't have the money to go out and buy proven premier league players that will improve the starting 11 so they have to scout upcoming talent ane intergrate them into the squad and then give them game time, if we boo them on the 1st appearance the 1st time they lose possession or balloon a shot they have no chance.
Esteban Cambiasso wasn't very good to start with but he was given games and turned out brilliant
I agree. I don't boo them. However, this same argument was made about Slimani. And Musa. And Silva. "Give them time", "All they need is a run in the team", "They were great ar their last club". However, they were all pretty useless from day one and you could see, very clearly, that they were never really going to get much better. There are players like Vardy and Ndidi who had poor starts but there was always something there - I felt this about Ward who had been excellent at times for us and for Wales. It didn't mean they didn't come in for rightful criticism when they were rubbish; they did. But the difference is, they always had something that seemed a little different, a little exciting or at least something of a foundation on which to build. There are other players that do surprise you out of nowhere. Soyuncu was garbage at first and it was hard to see how he'd ever be decent. The same with Amartey (although the jury hasn't made a final verdict on him yet) but these are very rare indeed.

Look, Daka may prove to be decent, there's a little of something there. I'm less convinced by Soumare (he just looks like another Praet to me), however they are both incredibly inconsistent and make terrible decisions. If they come good, then it's great news for us but they most certainly haven't yet and show little sign of doing so. It's okay to criticise them when they have been as poor as they have for us, as long as if and when they improve, they are given the plaudits for doing so.

Amartey has come in and done a job when asked ( normally a few games to cover for injury or when the defence has been shit and then dropped when ). We signed him as a centre half and tried to play him as a defensive midfielder. He then went away with his country and played centre half in the African nations and did well ( winning the tournament if memory serves me right ). City then try and convert him into a right back. He's finally had a run of games in his preferred position and has been superb for us this season starting in a defence that couldn't stop leading goals. He's never going to be cultured footballer but has the defensive mindset that we need.

Some of these comments read like we’re waiting for him to come good after a rough start but he’s been at the club nearly seven years.
I find it strange though. I've never regarded him as good enough yet now he's part of a defence that looks very hard to breach. What's changed?

I find it strange though. I've never regarded him as good enough yet now he's part of a defence that looks very hard to breach. What's changed?
Coaches who know what they are doing?

I remember his first game for us, striding forward from midfield with a powerful shot and unlucky not to score.
Against Man City?

He seemed impressive then but not so much afterwards.

I remember his first game for us, striding forward from midfield with a powerful shot and unlucky not to score.
Against Man City?

He seemed impressive then but not so much afterwards.
Made his debut at home to Norwich, at right back I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4284
5West Brom4372
6Norwich City4371
7Hull City4265
8Coventry City4263