Does Rodgers learn from his mistakes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brown Nose

I thought this was an interesting blog. I don't agree with all of it but much of it is undeniably true.

Firstly, unless it's against a superior opponent, BR sticks to his approach irrespective of available evidence or previous experience.

We also make the same mistakes over and over again, individually and collectively. Thirdly, we do have a tendency to fall to pieces.

Also, we are predictable and our shape is often very odd. Can anyone argue with the description of our "turgid possession"?

https://dillyding.org/2021/08/25/he...ry-naughty-boy/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

It’s bob on and perfectly explains my issues with Rodgers.

Luckily for him I can still remember the great day I had at the FA Cup final so I’m not eager for us to get rid right now. But he has some pretty big flaws as highlighted in that article, and I’m still not convinced that we couldn’t do better than him.

It’s bob on and perfectly explains my issues with Rodgers.

Luckily for him I can still remember the great day I had at the FA Cup final so I’m not eager for us to get rid right now. But he has some pretty big flaws as highlighted in that article, and I’m still not convinced that we couldn’t do better than him.
Get rid right now. Christ almighty you are going to be depressed when we get relegated one day.

If you are just looking at the West Ham game in complete isolation, then there’s plenty to agree on in that article. It was a disaster of a game

If you’re looking at the last couple of seasons as a whole, however, then you’ll soon realise that it’s actually a load of overly-simplistic tripe

Unbelievable. Fortunately he doesn't make many and when he does, he learns from them.

Have always been worried if we’re not top five by Christmas, and cups don’t go as well as we want, there will be some ludicrous reactions this season

Yes. the WH game was horrible but all is not lost - we are only 1 point behind WH, ManUtd, Chelsea, L'pool, Everton and the same points as Man City and the mighty Brighton. With players returning from injury, BR will be aiming for the top 4 around Christmas - and progressing in the cups (for 3rd season running).

That's his job - and he's done it pretty well so far.

I suppose the bigger question is whether fans do. Many a team before us has sacked managers because the fans have felt they deserve better, and many end up sinking. You only have to look at the recent demise of Spurs and Arsenal to see how badly things can go.

There was a reason I posted this as a new thread rather than adding it to the 'Rodgers Future' one. The last thing we need is a discussion about the merits of BR and whether we'd be better or worse off without him.

We'd be worse off - discussion over.

The point I thought was interesting and worthy of a separate discussion is the tactical side of things. BR delivers results consistently. We know this. However, when we're bad, we're really bad. When his approach doesn't work, it really doesn't work. In the blog, he highlights the shape of our side in the first two games and this does look really weird. Is it a tactical plan or are we just not playing the way BR wants us to?

BR does seem to have the occasional brain fart when it comes to selection, tactics, etc. We do seem to concede the same goals over and over again. Are these necessary outcomes of us being good most of the time or something he/we can improve?

That's the point of the blog really. He's saying that if and when other managers of the top teams get stuff wrong, there is a lot more analysis and criticism of it. BR gets a pass.
One of your favourite points, from what I’ve seen on here, is that teams largely end up where their payroll equates to. We’ve consistently outperformed that, since BR joined us. Maybe he doesn’t get as much criticism as others do, as he is, largely, doing better than he is expected to do?

Last edited:
That's the point of the blog really. He's saying that if and when other managers of the top teams get stuff wrong, there is a lot more analysis and criticism of it. BR gets a pass.
They don't though, do they? You've made the point yourself that Pep and Klopp in particular never get called out on their shit or their daft mistakes. They're both apparently geniuses who can do no wrong.

Pretty sound analysis IMO next game will be 4-5-1 with Vardy isolated upfront. Has BR coached the needless passing between the two CD or is it the players not executing what BR wants? What are the stats when we play two upfront does it provide more opportunities for our ball players to get on the ball and move it quicker?

There is no doubt that BR has delivered over and over again and in his own words we have definitely disrupted the market and we must continue to do so. Moyes definitely has our number though.

Pretty sound analysis IMO next game will be 4-5-1 with Vardy isolated upfront. Has BR coached the needless passing between the two CD or is it the players not executing what BR wants? What are the stats when we play two upfront does it provide more opportunities for our ball players to get on the ball and move it quicker?

There is no doubt that BR has delivered over and over again and in his own words we have definitely disrupted the market and we must continue to do so. Moyes definitely has our number though.
Moyes does seem to have us in his pocket I agree.

If our tempo was higher against them there is no way they would have outplayed us as they did in the last game we played them.

I also think we set up badly but I also understand that we had very limited choice, particularly in defence.

There are always ‘bogey’ teams for every club and this is reflected on the manager at the time.

Rodgers does seem to have a bit of an issue with Moyes teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4391
2Leeds Utd4490
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4384
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4366
8Coventry City4263