Does this sound like someone who will stick around for long?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverFox

Leicester City striker Matty Fryatt believes he has made the right move from Walsall - even if the Foxes lose their fight against relegation.
Fryatt admits he was given a shock when within 16 days of his arrival the club had sacked boss Craig Levein.
Fryatt told BBC Sport: "Even if we go down - and I don't think we will - Leicester is bigger than Walsall.
"It wasn't the management team that swayed me to join Leicester - I just felt it was the next step for me."
Fryatt, having scored 30 goals in 78 games for Walsall, joined Leicester on a three-and-a-half year deal for an undisclosed fee.
Fryatt added: "Maybe deep down I had second thoughts, but I have seen people come and go at Walsall and you just have to give it your all when each Saturday comes around.
"I've just got to do as well for myself and for the club - whether its Craig or caretaker boss Rob Kelly or whoever comes in as the new boss.
"Even if Leicester are relegated I still think it would have been the right move. There are better players at Leicester and the coaching is of a higher standard.
Despite the Doomsday scenario of slipping into League One, Fryatt is confident Leicester, who are three points above the relegation zone, will be playing in the Championship next season.
"I don't think we will go down, I think we will be okay.
"You can see from the players' attitude in training, and the spirit among the team, there is no negativity at the club.
"It doesn't feel like a club that is going down. We're still working hard and trying to do things the right way."
Before he decided to join Leicester the in-demand Fryatt had also been wanted by an unnamed Premiership club.
England under-19 internationa Fryatt added: "There was nothing concrete from the Premiership club.
"They said they were monitoring me and they were keen on me, but that they didn't think I was ready to play regularly.
"I thought there was a danger of my reputation going down if I wasn't playing every week.
"You just become one of many and I might have ended up going on loan. I wanted to be part of the first team and continue my progression."
Since his January move Fryatt has scored three goals for Leicester in five appearances - having already scored 14 times for Walsall - and the 19-year-old striker has detected he is playing against a higher calibre of player.
"The standard of player is much better, particularly the defenders, who sniff out danger more quickly. It's definitely got a bit more class."
Leicester will have to make additional payments to Walsall for Fryatt depending on the number of games he plays for his new club. Walsall will also receive a share of the profit if Leicester sell him on in the future.

BBC

"It wasn't the management team that swayed me to join Leicester - I just felt it was the next step for me."
I read this somewhere last week and thought exactly the same. Not very tactful

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong though...I am very happy he is here!:icon_bigg

I just get the feeling that when a 'bigger' club than us comes in for him he will be gone before you can say 'foxes never quit'.

SilverFox said:
Don't get me wrong though...I am very happy he is here!:icon_bigg

I just get the feeling that when a 'bigger' club than us comes in for him he will be gone before you can say 'foxes never quit'.

Well if he bangs in the goals and we get 5mil for him I don't care.

Babylon said:

Indeed,I wouldn't expect to be here for more than 1 or 2 seasons if he's as good as people say he is.

Babylon said:
What, like we did with Emile Heskey. How better off are we now than we were then?

My only concern is that if a player sees us as a stepping stone, he won't care too much about having a lot of passion for the club.

However, there is certainly no proof of that so far

Melton Fox said:
What, like we did with Emile Heskey. How better off are we now than we were then?

My only concern is that if a player sees us as a stepping stone, he won't care too much about having a lot of passion for the club.

You cannot blame the sale of Heskey for the demise of the club!!! Blame the person who spent 5mil on Ade!

Melton Fox said:

Players who have passion and play for the shirt are very few and far between these days IMO.
To be fair the Heskey millions fell into the wrong answers i.e Pt's.

Last edited:
There is nothing in that interview that mentions anything like this is a short term move, as for saying this is the next step, then he is right, the next step for him was to move into the championship and try to score on a regular basis at this level, that could lead to us winning promotion and then Fryatts' nextstep would be to try and score at that level with Leicester.

Lets see how he does, for this season and his first full season in the championship next, before deciding what his next move will be. He may well score 30 goals and fire us back into the big time and will stay with us for at least a season in the top flight, or he could level out and notch 15 or so goals next season and not attract great interest. He is happy here and as long as he keeps developing and improving as a player, the rest will look after itself.

PFKAKTF FOX said:
There is nothing in that interview that mentions anything like this is a short term move, as for saying this is the next step, then he is right, the next step for him was to move into the championship and try to score on a regular basis at this level, that could lead to us winning promotion and then Fryatts' nextstep would be to try and score at that level with Leicester.

Lets see how he does, for this season and his first full season in the championship next, before deciding what his next move will be. He may well score 30 goals and fire us back into the big time and will stay with us for at least a season in the top flight, or he could level out and notch 15 or so goals next season and not attract great interest. He is happy here and as long as he keeps developing and improving as a player, the rest will look after itself.

Hope he does score 30 next season PFKA but if he does then will be absolutely no chance of us being able to hold on to him,but let him score them first:icon_bigg

Good luck to the lad anyway. I am sure he will be successful, and if we can get our sh*t in order, hopefully he can fulfill most of his ambitions with us.

We will see.

I think its a good thing that a player has a logical step by step career plan. He made the move to us as he wanted to step up a division, apparantly he had offers from premiership sides although I am unsure how true this is. His logical next progression would be to play at premiership level after he has proved himself in the Championship. Surely Leicesters logical route of progression is to secure safety in this division before looking for promotion to the premiership. Does this not go hand in hand with Fryatts ambitions.

To be realistic no player with a high degree of promise is going to stay at Leicester. If Matt Fryatt does well here then that 'next step' will probaly be a move to the premier league. If he does well at the prem club then the big guns will snap him up. We ourselves are well down the food chain and unless we can get back to the top flight, then sadly the likes of Matty Fryatt will keep filtering through our club.

I think all he's saying that this is the next step in his career and ambition, which will be to play for a Premiership side and go for an England place. Hardly a bad thing is it? It will be up to him to prove his talent and up to us to be able to progress in order to match his aspirations.

alex said:
I think all he's saying that this is the next step in his career and ambition, which will be to play for a Premiership side and go for an England place. Hardly a bad thing is it? It will be up to him to prove his talent and up to us to be able to progress in order to match his aspirations.
Agreed Alex, but we all have hopes, aspirations, dreams and targets. It is very important for an individual to keep these dreams to him/herself.

You can knock the trust, confidence etc of those around you at the same time as making them feel inferior to you, because you are also telling them that you are better than them. You are telling them that they are either on the way down, they will never get any better, and you are using them to get where you want.

Just another view point thats all

Last edited:
See your point Melton. I would hope he meant it more innocently. Anyways, he's our now, let's just hope he leads us to better pastures next season.

I'm sure he did, and I'm sure he will.

Last edited:
Melton Fox said:
I'm sure he did, and I'm sure he will.

The next 12 months for me are absolutely crucial for the future of our club. We get it right and make the right appointment and we could well be on the up, get it wrong and the likes of Fryatt, Stearman, Hughes etc could all leave, and a re-build becomes less a policy than a certainty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4490
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363