Downloading a video clip from BBC iPlayer

Status
Not open for further replies.

spionfox

Is it possible to download a snippet of a BBC iPlayer program?

I want to 'grab' a section from last nights 'Late Kick Off E-Mids'. The episode as a whole isn't available to download but I only want a bit of it anyway.

Looking for something that will do for video what Audacity does for sound.

Oh, and need it before the iPlayer episode expires!!

Thanks.

If you load the page in Firefox, right-click on a blank part of the page and select Page Info, then click on the media tab. Does it list the video file in the list of assets?
If it does, you should be able to highlight it and click the Save As button

If you load the page in Firefox, right-click on a blank part of the page and select Page Info, then click on the media tab. Does it list the video file in the list of assets?
If it does, you should be able to highlight it and click the Save As button

No, there is a SWF (shockwave) 'object' but far too small to be the full video.

No, there is a SWF (shockwave) 'object' but far too small to be the full video.

Probably a loader for the video itself, it depends on how they've set the page up for that method to work.
I'm fair sure I've seen Firefox extensions that download embedded videos

Probably a loader for the video itself, it depends on how they've set the page up for that method to work.

None of the extensions I've tried will download from iPlayer, or from places like Sky Go.

There are screen capture programs that can do it, but the frame rate is very low unless you select a very small part of the screen to capture.

You have plenty of time on your hands. If I give you the time frame that I want can I leave it with you?

Cheers :icon_wink

There are screen capture programs that can do it, but the frame rate is very low unless you select a very small part of the screen to capture.

Just experimented with one called BB Flashback Express which works but produces a massive file!

If I get anything positive I'll post here in case anybody else has need of similar in the future.

You have plenty of time on your hands. If I give you the time frame that I want can I leave it with you?

Cheers :icon_wink

Want me to make you a sammich while I'm at it?

Want me to make you a sammich while I'm at it?

Grated mature cheddar with a good dollop of piccalilli would go down nicely. Thanks.

I'll make it worth your while!

Is it possible to download a snippet of a BBC iPlayer program?

I want to 'grab' a section from last nights 'Late Kick Off E-Mids'. The episode as a whole isn't available to download but I only want a bit of it anyway.

Looking for something that will do for video what Audacity does for sound.

Oh, and need it before the iPlayer episode expires!!

Thanks.

You could try recording it using Hypercam.

Last edited:
Audials will capture it in real-time too but I don't think there is a free version.

Quite a handy program to have in the arsenal if you do much video or audio editing though.

You could try recording it using Hypercam.

Thanks, but that program might be great for some things but not for what I want! From their website:

Please note that HyperCam is not intended for re-recording of other video clips from the screen (e.g. playing in Media Player, RealVideo, QuickTime etc.), but rather for creating regular software presentations, tutorial, demos etc. If you still want to try it for re-recording other movie clips, please read this first.

The program I mentioned earlier does it great except for the large file size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669