EFL Cup R3 Walsall away

What a fiasco the draw.
How come there's only 2 other All Premier League games in addition to the one there had to be as there's 17 Premier League teams left.

What a fiasco the draw.
How come there's only 2 other All Premier League games in addition to the one there had to be as there's 17 Premier League teams left.
I guess that's the luck of the draw?

Walsall 1 Leicester 0 (Evans)

A miserable afternoon next to the radio that offered no respite from an appalling season.

Oh shit.

Nope.

Six of the seven teams in Europe have been deliberately kept apart due to their very complicated new competition rules, i.e. more CL/EL games.
You'd think they'd be happier to get out of this "meaningless" trophy as soon as possible so they can concentrate on the big money stuff. Or perhaps not?

This is all about getting the little clubs out.

You'd think they'd be happier to get out of this "meaningless" trophy as soon as possible so they can concentrate on the big money stuff. Or perhaps not?

This is all about getting the little clubs out.
It’s where football is heading. Saudi Premier League.

Nope.

Six of the seven teams in Europe have been deliberately kept apart due to their very complicated new competition rules, i.e. more CL/EL games.
Is that right? Oh my God. Another nail in the pretty much already air tight coffin of football.

Is that right? Oh my God. Another nail in the pretty much already air tight coffin of football.

The really twisted thing is that there is now a 'pre-draw' to determine whether the Euro teams get home or away ties.

I mean, the perfect opportunity to even things up by making them all have away games and they won't even do that. So four of the six were lucky enough to get home games.

Four clubs have shared it around over the last eleven years - the usual suspects. Taking their combined total to 29 wins vs. 35 wins from every other club.

The clubs that have knocked us out since we won the league are: Liverpool, Newcastle, Liverpool, Arsenal, Villa, Man City, Man City, Chelsea.

I've only just realised that this is quite a significant match.

Walsall were the club that made Craig Shakespeare. My first awareness of him was during the 80s when he was a cultured number 4 who I longed to join City. Here is a clip from that era that showed the Shakespeare that I remember.

The other player of note from that team was David Kelly who also went on to be at City. Every Central News summary on a Monday seemed to show Shakespeare threading a ball through to Kelly to finish.

I remember going to the old Walsall ground in the late 80s to see us there and I'm sure Shakey played for them that day.

We never signed him of course. He went to Sheff Wednesday for 300k in 1989 and I was fuming. I may even have written to club secretary Alan Bennett to complain about missing out on an obvious signing. I guess we still had Gary McAllister at the time and they couldn't have played together. The only other player I remember being so obsessed with us signing was Mark Rankine at Doncaster Rovers. Feck knows why.

Shakey's career never really took off in the way I'd expected it to. Maybe he was not mobile enough but he had a lovely pass in him.

Anyway. I hope that both clubs do something on the night of this match. A Walsall number 4 shirt and a City 15/16 shirt with a couple of balls would be a nice touch.

Seem to remember there being quite a strong rumour about Shakey joining us from Walsall one transfer deadline day. And I was in Anglesey with no internet so wasn’t in much of a position to pick up the WOTS, so it must have at least made it to Ceefax.

Seem to remember there being quite a strong rumour about Shakey joining us from Walsall one transfer deadline day. And I was in Anglesey with no internet so wasn’t in much of a position to pick up the WOTS, so it must have at least made it to Ceefax.
Pretty certain nobody in Anglesey had internet in the 80s

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47
9Brentford46
10Manchester U46