Match Thread England V Uruguay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gerrard's fault - if he hadn't have touched the ball (flicked it on for Suarez) he wouldn't have been through on goal.

If a Uruguay player had flicked it on for Suarez, he would have been offside.

Before the WC I would have had Gerrard as one of the first names on the teamsheet but he's had a dire couple of games so far and really needs to hang his international boots up imo.

Gerrard's fault - if he hadn't have touched the ball (flicked it on for Suarez) he wouldn't have been through on goal.

If a Uruguay player had flicked it on for Suarez, he would have been offside.

Before the WC I would have had Gerrard as one of the first names on the teamsheet but he's had a dire couple of games so far and really needs to hang his international boots up imo.

He's got to challenge for the ball. Simple as.

Therefore imo the fault lies solely at the central defenders' feet for not pre-empting the flick on. The static-ness was woeful.

But they've played him offside not expecting our player to flick it on.

Possibly harsh to blame one player solely but I feel it is harsher blaming the CBs.

All a bit meaningless anyway as we never looked like winning at any point.

Rio Ferdinand said:
In that situation, I am either dropping off and making sure there are no opposition players between me and the goalkeeper, or I am going to attack the ball and win it.

Danny Mills said:
I wouldn't be surprised if Steven Gerrard calls it a day after this World Cup, but I can't blame him for Uruguay's second goal.

Yes, maybe he could have done better with the header, but anyone who plays at that level will know that your two centre-backs should always be expecting you to miss the ball anyway.

Clarence Seedorf said:
As experienced players, I could not believe what they were doing. They have to expect that the ball would be flicked on, Also, with Suarez on the pitch, they knew they had to be alert for the whole match.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27933501

#justsaying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861