Europa League

Status
Not open for further replies.

FOX Franks

Yep.

To be fair, West Brom were shit.
But so is everyone so should be a reasonable season. I'm glad we don't have to play Europa League games until the competition proper. That would have been a problem.
October are the first Europe League we'll be involved in - had to check. October 2nd is the group stage draw

Hate to say this but as we can't go and watch the games it's pointless so would rather we went out in the early rounds than flogged our already small squad into losing Premier league games and inevitably going out later on anyway

See I'm kind of the same with that but think we should do that with the domestic cups this year and go all in for the league and Europe.

Gutted about corona though as one of the European matches falls on my birthday and it was awesome being able to go away to a game for it when we were in the CL.

I'd have gone wherever it was and even more so as I have a Ryanair voucher as the ****s won't give me the money back!!

See I'm kind of the same with that but think we should do that with the domestic cups this year and go all in for the league and Europe.

Gutted about corona though as one of the European matches falls on my birthday and it was awesome being able to go away to a game for it when we were in the CL.

I'd have gone wherever it was and even more so as I have a Ryanair voucher as the ****s won't give me the money back!!
Yeah I know what you mean. Going away to the Champions League games was great and I was looking forward to getting to some of the games this time around too.

We should be prioritising the European competition if we want to be taken more seriously as a growing club, not trying to get knocked out.

Such a small time mentality

We should be prioritising the European competition if we want to be taken more seriously as a growing club, not trying to get knocked out.

I agree with this. Given that it’s seemingly more costly and difficult to get transfers done in this country, it increases the importance of raising our profile abroad, in terms of attracting players.

Yep, we need to make a good job of Europe.

Progressing to the later rounds sends a good message. I don't want to be just adding to the numbers.

Reaching the quarter finals or beyond of the Europa League is much more of a, statement to potential signings than getting to the same stages of domestic cups.

Spot on

It should be at least equal priority with the league

Agree. Sack off the FA Cup and League cup this year. Play the kids.

We can't win either of them when we are absolutely gunning for it so definitely the ones to be sacked off.

Brendog had his chance last season for both of them. I don't think he'll get it again.

we should be good enough to mix and match in the group stage and still get through after that we would need to play a more full strength line up for the knockouts

We can't win either of them when we are absolutely gunning for it so definitely the ones to be sacked off.

Brendog had his chance last season for both of them. I don't think he'll get it again.
How we lost to Villa still baffles me, when we got them in the semis I was so confident I booked a hotel room at Wembley

I think the priority will be:
League
Europa
FA Cup
League Cup

But yeah, the top two are much more important and if we get to the latter stages of the EL then it may overtake the league too.

Just bin off the League Cup as soon as we can - this year's winners don't even qualify for the Europa League. They go into the newly formed Europa Conference League - the winners of that competition go into the Europa League the following season.

What a pointless competition, and will see English teams deprioritise League Cup even more.

I think the priority will be:
League
Europa
FA Cup
League Cup

But yeah, the top two are much more important and if we get to the latter stages of the EL then it may overtake the league too.

Just bin off the League Cup as soon as we can - this year's winners don't even qualify for the Europa League. They go into the newly formed Europa Conference League - the winners of that competition go into the Europa League the following season.

What a pointless competition, and will see English teams deprioritise League Cup even more.
What an absolute joke, clearly the powers that be couldn't give a stuff about the amount of football being played especially during this Covid-19 period.
I can see the unlucky clubs that end up being lumbered with it just making 11 changes and rolling out the u21's, I wouldn't even bother sending the manager, send the tea lady to underline how shite it is.

What an absolute joke, clearly the powers that be couldn't give a stuff about the amount of football being played especially during this Covid-19 period.
I can see the unlucky clubs that end up being lumbered with it just making 11 changes and rolling out the u21's, I wouldn't even bother sending the manager, send the tea lady to underline how shite it is.
This was announced long before Covid, so that’s not really relevant. It is going to be complete shit though.

I don't understand why PL clubs are in the League Cup. It's not our trophy. FL clubs should compete for it. Obviously it also shouldn't have a place in europe attached too.

I also don't see why the team that win the FA Cup should get a place in europe.

In the PL, the top four should get CL and the next three the EL. Job done.

I don't actually object to the new european tournament because one effect of it is to reduce the size of the EL.

What we need to do is get more of the better 'non big six' clubs into regular european competition. That would improve the PL.

If City are not in europe, the domestic cups are important. If we're in europe, I really couldn't care less about them. I hope Arsenal knock us out next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757