European Premier League

Status
Not open for further replies.
So people actually think this is down to the Pandemic :)

I like Rummenigge's statement but **** me that's massively naive.
I don't think it's down to the pandemic and I doubt that many people do. But the pandemic and the recovery from it is a very important point and Rummenigge is correct in saying that a European Super League is not the right way for the vast majority.

It's the football equivalent of what humans are doing to the wild world.

No appreciation of the link between the smaller species and the criticality of those species to the continued existence of the larger species.

Kill the ecosystem that supports you and eventually it will all come crashing down around them.

I said the word species a lot.
Possibly the most sensible thing you or anyone has said on here in a while. I applaud you, sir.

Ultimately, if they choose to do this, there's little that can be done to stop them.

My preference, stepping back for a minute, is that they therefore don't play in any English based competitions alongside it. I know this would necessitate a "correction" in finances at all clubs outside the 6, including us, but the chasm between those 6 and the rest would be such that I think it would slowly kill the rest of us anyway. At least if we were all playing on our own level, we could run the game accordingly. I suspect they'd only choose to leave us anyway, in the fullness of time, so I'd rather they were just told to **** off now and let the rest of us get on with it.

As a side note, there would have to be an adjustment to budgets even if they did stay in the league, as the Premier League is definitely going to become a less attractive proposition to TV companies anyway, so that will be the case regardless (albeit on a different level).

Ultimately, if they choose to do this, there's little that can be done to stop them.

My preference, stepping back for a minute, is that they therefore don't play in any English based competitions alongside it. I know this would necessitate a "correction" in finances at all clubs outside the 6, including us, but the chasm between those 6 and the rest would be such that I think it would slowly kill the rest of us anyway. At least if we were all playing on our own level, we could run the game accordingly. I suspect they'd only choose to leave us anyway, in the fullness of time, so I'd rather they were just told to **** off now and let the rest of us get on with it.

Yep. I'm pissed that it looks like it could happen but tbh I think I'd enjoy the game more if those 6 aren't involved.

And for the record, my opinion is that kids are losing interest in football because it is prohibitively expensive to go to a game / difficult to get a ticket.
I would not be on this forum had LCFC been in the premier league selling out in that season we were relegated to League One - because I wouldn't have got a ticket and watched a 0-0 bore draw with Cardiff that somehow ticked a box.
He is misunderstanding the whole experience of football which for many people is only 20-30% "The quality of the game" to me.
Yoooo what bore draw? That was a tremendous game. Schmeichel was fantastic. Playing for the opposition, but fantastic. Most entertaining 0-0 I’ve ever seen that was.

kids these days etc

One thing. BR has a press conference this afternoon. He'll obviously be asked about this.

If we want a very clear sign about where he sees his short term future, how strongly he responds will be interesting. Will he deflect and be bland or will he call it out as the shitshow it is?

He will be well aware that Spurs and Arsenal will be listening with interest.

As a side note, there would have to be an adjustment to budgets even if they did stay in the league, as the Premier League is definitely going to become a less attractive proposition to TV companies anyway, so that will be the case regardless (albeit on a different level).
The ramifications of this will go on for decades. I have no idea what the legal structure of the TV companies contracts with the PL are, but I imagine going forwards they will bake in heavy punishments for these kind of actions. Incidentally, I think this will reduce the bidding for coverage rights whenever that next comes up, and that will hurt us.

Then think about the potential governmental action that is being discussed. If that comes in 12-18 months from now, the opportunity to do this may have passed.

I think the opportunity to do this is now.

Then there's the TV side of things - this isn't for European audiences, but the timings are terrible for those watching in the USA or Asia. So how long will it last as mid-week competition? And once it's on a Saturday, invite in some American teams and call it the super league +.

My prediction is this won't go ahead, but something will change. I wouldn't be surprised to see them drop the PL down to 18 teams, using the extra time allowed to have a summer international league similar to that one we were in when we won the PL.

One thing. BR has a press conference this afternoon. He'll obviously be asked about this.

If we want a very clear sign about where he sees his short term future, how strongly he responds will be interesting. Will he deflect and be bland or will he call it out as the shitshow it is?

He will be well aware that Spurs and Arsenal will be listening with interest.

I hope he condemns it. I expect he'll side step it.

The most interesting thing that's going to happen today is the outcome of the other 14 clubs meeting now to discuss what to do. Personally, I think they have to be ultra tough. A points deduction for each of the clubs of 20+ points would see them finish mid-table.

Something like a suspended expulsion, reduced to a 20 point deduction.

It's a challenging line to tread - too harsh and the risk is you push them away. Too weak and even if they're successful in stopping it, these owners will be back with a new plan in no time.

The ramifications of this will go on for decades. I have no idea what the legal structure of the TV companies contracts with the PL are, but I imagine going forwards they will bake in heavy punishments for these kind of actions. Incidentally, I think this will reduce the bidding for coverage rights whenever that next comes up, and that will hurt us.

Then think about the potential governmental action that is being discussed. If that comes in 12-18 months from now, the opportunity to do this may have passed.

I think the opportunity to do this is now.

Then there's the TV side of things - this isn't for European audiences, but the timings are terrible for those watching in the USA or Asia. So how long will it last as mid-week competition? And once it's on a Saturday, invite in some American teams and call it the super league +.

My prediction is this won't go ahead, but something will change. I wouldn't be surprised to see them drop the PL down to 18 teams, using the extra time allowed to have a summer international league similar to that one we were in when we won the PL.
This is my point. Once they're gone, they might as well be fully gone, as it will inevitably follow anyway, so we might as well plan for it and get on with it. This might start as a midweek competition, but it won't stay that way forever, so why let them establish it alongside our competitions. If they want to go, they do it fully or not at all.

Yes, I think it sensible to think of life after. It might not happen and equally it might.

That there is a division (call it 'big 6' for the sake of argument) in the EPL is clear to see, so I see a '****ing off with their ball' an inevitability at some point or another. It MIGHT actually benefit other clubs... might. They no longer have to play the same game, one in which they cannot really compete. I mean, just look at Man City's squad...

No, it makes sense to consider the lay of the land after any potential change and ponder how it might work for the better. I do feel sorry for those fans of the 'big 6' that might feel abandoned but there's always an AFC Wimbledon etc. or, to quote PJ Harvey (obviously out of context), to 'take my hips to a man who cares'

Yep. I'm pissed that it looks like it could happen but tbh I think I'd enjoy the game more if those 6 aren't involved.
What I'm hoping for is that the rest of football fans will be even more united in their disgust and hatred of these 6 plastic, greedy, unsporting, evil clubs.

What I'm hoping for is that the rest of football fans will be even more united in their disgust and hatred of these 6 plastic, greedy, unsporting, evil clubs.
Or the owners of them, at least. I genuinely feel sorry for fans of those clubs who are against it.

I believe the only motivation for this is to money. We can pretend that the current format is ok, but in reality it is greed already.

The 12 teams looking to break away should really look at themselves closely, how are hey in financial difficulties? If they were well managed financially then there wouldn't be the need for this, there certainly is almost zero need for this from a football and spectator perspective, the CL, in essence is fine.

The motivation therefore is cash only, to ringfence themselves from someone 'doing a Leicester' and infiltrating the PL top 6, this is becoming more of a probability as the seasons progress i believe?

If this happens my guess is it will become PPV at £25 upwards per game, Fans not required.

There are many more consequences with this, direct and indirect, and I am struggling to see any positives for everyone else...

Does anyone have a horrible feeling we might be one of the other clubs who get involved in this bullshit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757