European Premier League

Status
Not open for further replies.

pork pie fox

“Liverpool and Manchester United are in talks about a bombshell plot involving Europe's biggest football clubs to join a new FIFA-backed tournament that would reshape the sport's global landscape.

Sky News has learnt that financiers are assembling a $6bn (£4.6bn) funding package to assist the creation of what could become known as the European Premier League.”

Struggling to care now if I'm honest.

Almost wish they would just arrange it and **** off

It's a cold day in the autumn of 2050.

I'm 85 years old.

Like all very old men I'm tending to look backward rather than forward. There isn't much in that direction anymore after all.

Today I'm on a personal pilgrimage. I'm in the former Lancashire coastal town of Fleetwood. Now the central growth hormone manufacturing centre of the US state of Manchesterland.

I'm here to watch the demolition of the former football ground as it makes way for a new cattle insemination facility. The bankruptcy last year of the English Traditional Football Association has led to this sort of thing taking place all over the colony. Sad really. But inevitable. There really isn't a market for amateur sport anymore.

A young lad walks by. Resplendent in a replica bodysuit in the red, sky blue & white of Manchester/Miami. On his way to the nearest saloon i guess for the World League Draw tonight.

They did well last season. They'll fancy their chances of making the final in New York this time around.

They'll be hoping to play Boston I'd reckon. Ever since the Liverpool franchise was moved there 8 years ago they've been missing their local rivalry.
Of course if it happens those ****ing Scousers will have a march or something to protest. Even after all this time they're still ****ing whining.

I allow myself a small smile at that thought. It's nice in a way that some things never change.

Anyhow. I stand & watch as the bulldozers move in on the last part of the ancient stadium.

The Jamie Vardy Stand.

Can't help having a lump I my throat I confess.

The young lad notices my expression & asks if I'm OK.

I tell him I'm fine. He asks what I'm up to. I tell him.

"Oh right" he says

" My granddad used to have holograms of that. The thing they played before they invented real football yeah? Before American Rules? "

" With the really small goals & no kick ins? & they hardly ever even scored 15 goals in a game let alone 20? Looked pretty boring to me "

No point arguing these days. So I just nod.

He wanders off & I watch the last of the stand get crushed into powder. This time next week there'll be no sign it was ever there. Nice metaphor I reckon.

Oh well. Time to go home I guess. This part of the state isn't too bad for post-curfew shootings but it's not completely unknown.
Getting shot in the head by some trigger happy 20 year old copper would be a ****ing stupid way to end a long life.

I'm tired & I want to go to sleep.

It'll happen. Too much of an investment opportunity for it not to. Besides, for me, it effectively formalises what we already see happening. Rightly or wrongly, it's an entirely logical/foreseeable next step.

League format means guaranteed income.
No relegation means guaranteed income.

Businesses don't like unpredictability.

I think we'll look at on our league win as the turning point, where the big clubs said no more.

So it's our fault?

So they tried to get more power in the Premier League and failed, so this idea raises it's head again.

I think it's just being used a bargaining chip again as I can't see a European league working long term, the teams that struggle will lose fans and want back into their domestic leagues, it will be too expensive for away fans who will lose enthusiasm, and I don't think people will be too keen to pay extra for TV packages or ppv at the moment.

They are just flexing their muscles, and I expect a new proposal to the Premier League, for a greater share of the money etc, to follow soon.

So they tried to get more power in the Premier League and failed, so this idea raises it's head again.

I think it's just being used a bargaining chip again as I can't see a European league working long term, the teams that struggle will lose fans and want back into their domestic leagues, it will be too expensive for away fans who will lose enthusiasm, and I don't think people will be too keen to pay extra for TV packages or ppv at the moment.

They are just flexing their muscles, and I expect a new proposal to the Premier League, for a greater share of the money etc, to follow soon.
I think this would be instead of the Champions League and run alongside the domestic league.

I think this would be instead of the Champions League and run alongside the domestic league.
That's a real shame. I would just like the Manchester clubs and Liverpool to **** off and join a European wankers league.

There are plenty of Manchester United fans in Turin, Barcelona, Napoli and everywhere else really, so the net result is the away fans are locals and the teams are show ponies.

Fine by me if they want to do it, but if they do decide to, they can **** off properly rather than eating at both tables.

From what I can read tell it's basically a plan to turn the Champions League into a closed shop by guaranteeing entry for the richest clubs.

Simply put, they are scared shitless about teams like us and want to ensure they can mismanage their clubs in peace without fear of competition for the cash.

From what I can read tell it's basically a plan to turn the Champions League into a closed shop by guaranteeing entry for the richest clubs.

Simply put, they are scared shitless about teams like us and want to ensure they can mismanage their clubs in peace without fear of competition for the cash.
Yep

This initiative is backed by FIFA but not by UEFA. The CL is a UEFA competition. I can't see UEFA going for this as it would not include clubs from the vast majority of its constituent countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757