European Premier League

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm impressed by Karl-Heinz Rummenigge's statement/take on this....

I do not believe the Super League will solve the financial problems of European clubs that have arisen as result of the coronavirus pandemic. Rather, all clubs in Europe should work in solidarity to ensure that the cost structure, especially players' salaries and agents' fees, are brought in line with revenues, to make all of European football more rational.

It shows an understanding of the issues faced by clubs, has implied sympathy, and suggests an alternative. I think there's also a warning in it to the clubs; don't panic, you're not alone in this situation that has arisen (i.e. pandemic), don't be tempted by a deal that may not be in your best longer term interests.

There are many talking with passion (ex-players, pundits, fans groups, etc) and whilst I do not deny for one moment their commitment to the game, their take is sometimes simplistic and perhaps lacking in a broader perspective. Personally speaking, I think that in any argument you need to understand at least a little of the opposition's motivation to win an argument. For me, Rummenigge shows that understanding.

So people actually think this is down to the Pandemic :)

I like Rummenigge's statement but **** me that's massively naive.

Naive? No, on the contrary. I think it shows an understanding - perhaps not of the financier's motivations, and some of the club directors, but of the thing called the 'club'. I think it's a cleverly nuanced statement. He's reaching out to those clubs.

I don't think you make progress by standing your ground and continuing to lob bricks - it just makes people more determined/entrenched.

I'm impressed by Karl-Heinz Rummenigge's statement/take on this....

It shows an understanding of the issues faced by clubs, has implied sympathy, and suggests an alternative. I think there's also a warning in it to the clubs; don't panic, you're not alone in this situation that has arisen (i.e. pandemic), don't be tempted by a deal that may not be in your best longer term interests.

There are many talking with passion (ex-players, pundits, fans groups, etc) and whilst I do not deny for one moment their commitment to the game, their take is sometimes simplistic and perhaps lacking in a broader perspective. Personally speaking, I think that in any argument you need to understand at least a little of the opposition's motivation to win an argument. For me, Rummenigge shows that understanding.
The cost structure solution is definitely the answer if the only question is 'How do we ensure we do not go bankrupt'

I find it quite incredible that chairmen are complaining they will go bankrupt and thinking the only solution is more money, not having at least some control over the ludicrous weekly payments that their employees receive.

And for the record, my opinion is that kids are losing interest in football because it is prohibitively expensive to go to a game / difficult to get a ticket.
I would not be on this forum had LCFC been in the premier league selling out in that season we were relegated to League One - because I wouldn't have got a ticket and watched a 0-0 bore draw with Cardiff that somehow ticked a box.
He is misunderstanding the whole experience of football which for many people is only 20-30% "The quality of the game" to me.

It's the football equivalent of what humans are doing to the wild world.

No appreciation of the link between the smaller species and the criticality of those species to the continued existence of the larger species.

Kill the ecosystem that supports you and eventually it will all come crashing down around them.

I said the word species a lot.

He is misunderstanding the whole experience of football which for many people is only 20-30% "The quality of the game" to me.
I don't see that. I don't see that he addresses 'the quality of the game' at all. He remarks on 'taking part' (if you like) with...

The modified group stage will contribute to an increase in excitement and the emotional experience in the competition.

But I will apply the same maxim to him that I suggested he himself was applying to the ESL clubs; I will try to understand Rummenigge's position. He is defending the CL - that's his perspective, his angle, his context. He sees the future of his club as being in the CL structure. I get that, that's not heinous, that's allowed.

No appreciation of the link between the smaller species and the criticality of those species to the continued existence of the larger species.

I agree. I also agree it's happening elsewhere, not just in football. My questions then become 'What do I do about that?' and 'How might I win the argument?'

And, in blunt truth, I come up short. It saddens me to say that I often feel beaten. Fortunately, individually, they're not always arguments that I feel a real passion for anyway. I opt to make my life easier. Do I care about ESL v CL v EPL v EFL? No, not really. And the fact there are so many acronyms kinda suggests that battle was lost a long time ago. You'll read of many supporters that threw in that towel a whilst ago and now watch non-league football. I can get that.

This is why discussion of what is the "better sport" is usually a waste of time. In reality we probably only feel the way we do about all the intricacies of football because it's our national cultural sport. By forcefully modifying it into an american franchise model to appeal to american teenagers they are attacking the nature of something very personal to millions of working people in Europe.

And the obvious response is 'well he would think that way wouldn't he'. Because, obviously, he does think that way,
It's to save him and Real, so if that's all he's interested in, I guess he's right, in his own mind.

By forcefully modifying it into an american franchise model to appeal to american teenagers they are attacking the nature of something very personal to millions of working people in Europe.

Let's boil that down. American teenagers like the idea. Working people in Europe don't like the idea. Now where do we go? When one is at odds with the other, who wins out?

I''m not suggesting answers, just asking the questions.

It's to save him and Real, so if that's all he's interested in, I guess he's right, in his own mind.
Bingo.

And to convince him otherwise, we need to get him to change his mind. How do we do that? Accuse him of only being interested in money? Which, from our perspective, is his motivation.

The CL and EPL will be equally motivated to defend their (financial) territories. Let's not for a moment kid ourselves that the have a philanthropic motivation front and centre - despite however much they may throw around the 'working peoples game' phrase.

We've all got it wrong. Florentino Perez says this to actually save football:

Isn't he also suggesting that we need to cut down the length of matches because people don't have the attention span to watch something for an hour and a half?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757