European Premier League

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before I forget, this whole debacle has made something much clearer for me. In the US, when a team e.g. New York Knicks wins something, they would say 'New York Knicks has won the play-offs', or 'New York Knicks is champion'. Singular, very singular. They also refer to English teams in the singular too. And now it makes sense. Franchises are singular. Clubs are collective.

When I agrue this point with americans, they don't see it, they don't get it, and I understand why - it's because they have never seen the teams they follow as a collective. It;s not their fault of course, it's just the way 'sports' are in the US. And I find that a bit sad if I'm being honest.

I argue that, by their very definition, team and club are a collective nouns - Leicester City is not a single entity, it's made up of the players, the fans, the staff, the mascots, the coach drivers, even the sponsors to a degree - all (supposedly) striving towards a common goal. A franchise is singular - loosely defiend as the authorisation by a company to sell its products or services. And that's what the ESL was aiming for, franshise football (or 'soccer' as it would have eventually be known as).

Any way - just wanted to write all that and get it off my chest.

Don't know how any Chelsea fan can't be Tuchel Out after this.

Bloke is an ESL apologist slimeball.

Maybe avoided the fire but I'm not sure whether the frying pan just got bigger

(or maybe smaller, I don't which works best)

Last edited:
The most woeful apologies I could ever imagine.

Regardless of the decision, these ****s are still desperate to create exclusivity in terms of who can earn the most money.

The statements are dripping in the most obvious and loathsome self interest.

It's going to be interesting to see where things go from here.

Hard to see things returning to normal in the PL boardroom and I think this proposal has seriously damaged football in general - which might well be reflected in smaller TV deals and a series of other knock on impacts yet to be considered.

It doesn't sound like there will be any substantive punishments against these 6 clubs - which I think is an error. They're saying you can't punish the players or manager, well, there's not really a way to punish the owners without doing so I'm afraid.

The Govt are going to push forward with this 'fan led' review. I believe Tracey Crouch who is leading it is a big football fan and IIRC, she resigned from a ministerial role on a matter of principle about gambling - so it sounds like she might actually come to some sensible conclusions. Of course, that's only part of the battle and as UK fans we need to keep the pressure on, otherwise it's an easy report to bury and forget about.

I was never naive about the corruption of football and its descent into a monopolistic cartel - that's why us winning the league and continuing to do well is such a great story after all. But after this I'll never feel the same way about football. My hatred for the greedy six, real madrid and juventus is as burning as it's ever been.

These are disgusting institutions that should be treated with the same attitude as the likes of Amazon and Disney. They're not just at an unfair advantage, they're enemies of all decent football lovers and a danger to the sport. The fact they're going to get away with this with no punishment whatsoever is infuriating. I'll be cheering a bit louder every time we beat these ****s from now on.

So with Athletico and Inter now out, five remain. I wonder who will be last to leave. And will the last ones to leave be crowned champions?

I'm back to my thinking about players' contracts; I'm guessing new contracts will be including clauses as a result this EPL shenanigans. Specifics of that would interest me.

Whilst it is tempting to focus on punishing the clubs involved in the greed league I think strategically we could be making a big mistake. Furthermore I wonder if, following the embarrassing collapse of their grubby project, this is probably what they would want us to do.

The most important focus for me is the future governance of football and guaranteeing that so called 'big clubs' can't pull this one again, and that they can't continue their long term chipping away brick by brick at the competitive essence of sport.

If we are to look at punishments we could do worse than taking away their co-efficient points at the start of the launch of the next agreement starting. This would make it difficult for these teams to build up the points required to take advantage of the 'loop hole' they have inserted in the new agreement if they don't qualify automatically.

Whilst it is tempting to focus on punishing the clubs involved in the greed league I think strategically we could be making a big mistake. Furthermore I wonder if, following the embarrassing collapse of their grubby project, this is probably what they would want us to do.

The most important focus for me is the future governance of football and guaranteeing that so called 'big clubs' can't pull this one again, and that they can't continue their long term chipping away brick by brick at the competitive essence of sport.

If we are to look at punishments we could do worse than taking away their co-efficient points at the start of the launch of the next agreement starting. This would make it difficult for these teams to build up the points required to take advantage of the 'loop hole' they have inserted in the new agreement if they don't qualify automatically.
I thought similar myself. Look to punish them by trying to even out some of the competitive inequality that exists. This will be tough, but would be a better long term gain for us and punishment for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757