European Premier League

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m a bit confused about why Manchester City signed up for it. They’re basically a bit of sportswashing and good PR for an infinitely rich family. So why sign up and make yourself unpopular and then look daft by immediately backtracking?

As has been said though, it’s almost been swept under the carpet now. Sky will be chuffed to **** with how it’s turned out.

Whilst it is tempting to focus on punishing the clubs involved in the greed league I think strategically we could be making a big mistake. Furthermore I wonder if, following the embarrassing collapse of their grubby project, this is probably what they would want us to do.

The most important focus for me is the future governance of football and guaranteeing that so called 'big clubs' can't pull this one again, and that they can't continue their long term chipping away brick by brick at the competitive essence of sport.

If we are to look at punishments we could do worse than taking away their co-efficient points at the start of the launch of the next agreement starting. This would make it difficult for these teams to build up the points required to take advantage of the 'loop hole' they have inserted in the new agreement if they don't qualify automatically.

An interesting article on this subject.

One person I expect to be very enthusiastic about Rangers and Celtic joining the premier league is Boris Johnson.

He will see this as a way of fighting against the Scottish Nationalists.

The Sun is one of his favourite mouthpieces as well.

...Rangers and Celtic joining the premier league..
Cut the league to 18 clubs and replace two of the English teams with teams from Scotland, yeah, I can see that going down well. What happens if one of them gets relegated and the Football League won't accept them?

I’m a bit confused about why Manchester City signed up for it. They’re basically a bit of sportswashing and good PR for an infinitely rich family. So why sign up and make yourself unpopular and then look daft by immediately backtracking?

As has been said though, it’s almost been swept under the carpet now. Sky will be chuffed to **** with how it’s turned out.

Ilkay Gundogan isn't dropping it though - which is good to see. Hopefully other players will continue to speak up, because the proposed UCL changes are still a shambles

Fair play to the Arsenal lot - looks like a pretty big turn out considering restrictions are still meant to be in place.

I find this astonishing. How out of touch can he be? It's bewildering to me that this can be his take on things.

Was just a little mistake.

Nothing to see here - move along please

I thought it was odd when he criticised Neville, who had done well to speak out early and loudly.

In fact, what Klopp is trying to do there is close down the debate, close down the reform and maintain the status quo for the likes of Fenway Sports Group. He's pretty much saying that any criticism of the proposal should now stop and that Sky Sports are wipping up the outrage - he fundamentally misunderstands the strength of feeling on this one IMO.

In fact, what Klopp is trying to do there is close down the debate, close down the reform and maintain the status quo for the likes of Fenway Sports Group. He's pretty much saying that any criticism of the proposal should now stop and that Sky Sports are wipping up the outrage - he fundamentally misunderstands the strength of feeling on this one IMO.

Nah he totally understands it. He promotes himself as caring about fans etc but he's actually just a ****.

• He is open to dropping the two extra Champions League spots that were to be reserved for clubs based on their historic record, a change that could have seen all of the Big Six Premier League club qualify for the competition year in, year out even if they didn’t make the top four in the Premier League;

Interesting to see mention of our take on it:

“The rebel 12 have lost their positions at the European Club Association and therefore lobbying power to Uefa. The Big Six may have to stomach recommendations around fan ownership and governance from a government-ordered review. At the Premier League, now their perennial breakaway threats have been neutered, Big Six executives have been asked to step down from key working groups. While some leaders from the “other 14” clubs are seeking punishments, the mood at others — including Leicester City, who since 2015-16 have done most to challenge the establishment on the pitch — is more conciliatory.

Influential voices at the “14” would rather use this moment to push through regulations disqualifying owners who attempt breakaways in the future. It is also felt it will now be easier to push through the next broadcasting contract, with objections from the Big Six (who were seeking a greater revenue share) weakened. “I can’t overstate how much we’re looking forward to not sitting there watching Ed Woodward roll his eyes at every proposal put forward on sponsorship or TV deals,” one owner said.

What's also interesting, that I didn't realise before, is that the owner of PSG is the owner of BeIn Sports, who have a lot of the rights to show the Premier League and Champ League abroad. They're never going to sign up for a league that hands those rights to others and devalues the ones they've already got, so I can't see them ever going for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757