Euros 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

jb5000

Well I'm looking forward to it, even if the rest of you aren't.

I might not think that much of him as a manager, but this piece by Southgate has left me thinking more of him as a man -
It's a great retort to the knuckleheads booing kneeling players and a reminder of how sport can bring us together in a spirit of positivity and inclusion.

I might not think that much of him as a manager, but this piece by Southgate has left me thinking more of him as a man -
It's a great retort to the knuckleheads booing kneeling players and a reminder of how sport can bring us together in a spirit of positivity and inclusion.

Yeah I read that earlier and thought it was an interesting read. I've no doubt it'll be easily dismissed by those who want to do so, and I'm certainly not a particular fan of his from a football perspective, but I agree it's a decent piece and does make it seem that he gives his team all the backing they could ask for.

Boooo.

I've not watched an England game since the WC semi final. Idiotically, I got suckered back in to the last WC after abandoning international football years ago.

England are shit. Southgate is shit. The Euro's will be shit. I'll keep an eye on the City players and that's it.

I couldn't name a winner of the Euro's since 1996. Greece won it once I think but can't remember when. No idea apart from that, it's quickly forgotten.

Boooo.

I've not watched an England game since the WC semi final. Idiotically, I got suckered back in to the last WC after abandoning international football years ago.

England are shit. Southgate is shit. The Euro's will be shit. I'll keep an eye on the City players and that's it.

I couldn't name a winner of the Euro's since 1996. Greece won it once I think but can't remember when. No idea apart from that, it's quickly forgotten.
You’re telling me you can’t remember the shitfest that was England losing to Iceland in the last Euros? It was so inept it was entertaining and very memorable.

You’re telling me you can’t remember the shitfest that was England losing to Iceland in the last Euros? It was so inept it was entertaining and very memorable.

I promise you I have no memory of it. I've just looked up the result because I thought you were taking the piss!

Against my cynical better judgement I was quite impressed by his "letter to England", particularly his point about how so many football memories are those watching the National team on telly - a familiar tale of hope, expectation and cruel reality with a very occasional euphoric moment, but why would I want it any other way? The Bryan Robson one from the 82 WC he mentions being one such, reminding me of an early favourite of mine, a bustling, no-nonsense thunderbolt cross cum shot from a now almost forgotten striker called Gerry Hitchens against Mexico about sixty years ago.

I'll work myself up to this one in due course, especially against the Jocks, though my fairly low expectations are that we'll cruise the group stage, and make a mess of it in the knock-outs, as usual.

Oh please all just **** off. If you seriously can't follow and hope your nation plays well/wins then tbh you really are some sort of sad ****s.

We won't win it, but ffs back them up.

Boooo.

How does it make you an idiot for wanting to watch your country in a world cup semi final? England may be incompetently run, but there's nothing wrong with watching them when they're on.

To add to that, I'm imagining all the incredible moments I would have missed if I stopped watching international tournaments altogether. Germany 7-1 Brazil, Netherlands 5-1 Spain, France vs Argentina in the last world cup all spring to mind.

How does it make you an idiot for wanting to watch your country in a world cup semi final? England may be incompetently run, but there's nothing wrong with watching them when they're on.

To add to that, I'm imagining all the incredible moments I would have missed if I stopped watching international tournaments altogether. Germany 7-1 Brazil, Netherlands 5-1 Spain, France vs Argentina in the last world cup all spring to mind.
That Germany v Brazil game was stunning.

It's England I can't be doing with, not the tournaments necessarily. They are always not worth any emotional investment.

The Euro's are typically very disappointing and dull. I'm not looking forward to them at all except to keep an eye on our players.

I like the World Cup but mainly to watch different teams and players. I agree that the Germany v Brazil match was superb.

It's England I can't be doing with, not the tournaments necessarily. They are always not worth any emotional investment.

The Euro's are typically very disappointing and dull. I'm not looking forward to them at all except to keep an eye on our players.

I like the World Cup but mainly to watch different teams and players. I agree that the Germany v Brazil match was superb.
Perfectly reasonable answer. I think we should hope Belgium get knocked out early to avoid extra attention on Tielemans though.

Perfectly reasonable answer. I think we should hope Belgium get knocked out early to avoid extra attention on Tielemans though.
if he's gonna go - he's gonna go and that will have no bearing on it whatsoever. I'm looking forward to watching our 3 play.

International football is mostly dull and boring at the best if times. With the amount of football the players have gone though over the last 18 months, this tournament isn't likely to change that. I'll watch some games if there on when I'm around but I won't be making plans around them.

I'll be watching the racing at Ascot all next week then catching a few games later in the day. It'll be a nice distraction now that I don't have a job anymore.

The Euros have been a disastrous bit of planning though haven't they?

" Lets have the first pan-continental tournament insetad of 1 or 2 host nations "

Global pandemic. Travel restrictions. No football.

" Ooops...lets delay it a year "

Still travel restrictions & crowd numbers capped.

" Never mind. Lets just have footballers jetting across Europe & back continuously for a month & cross our fingers ! "

Covid case in the Spanish camp. Spanish players having to train individually ahead of the first game.

" Shit. Cross the fingers more firmly "

The whole thing should have been binned (obviously never an option due to sponsorship etc) Especially on the back of what has effectively been one long endless season from August 2019 til now across every European league. These players are shagged out. Wall to wall club football has eroded the quality of international tournaments for years. This one is going to be the absolute nadir.

Only thing I can see as a positive is the increased possibility of upsets in matches so i'll be looking at that with my betting hat on.

I'm sick of the idea that we are expected to support Scotland and Wales to the bitter end while they laugh at us whenever we crash out and always support our opponents.

The Scotland match is the only one I really care about this summer - I hope we ****ing thrash the jocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757