Evans contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy Lad

When interviewed today in the pre game presser he was asked about his contract situation to which he said this:
“There’s been nothing really in terms of contract talks. Possibly that’s something that my agent and the club will do in the near future. I’ve really enjoyed my time at Leicester and if it’s an option that comes available it’s one I would take”
I find that bizarre if true... it’s only just over 2 months before he can start talking to other clubs. Either this is rubbish or the club are truly negligent. He is our best defender by a mile and still has a few years left at the top level in my opinion.

When interviewed today in the pre game presser he was asked about his contract situation to which he said this:
“There’s been nothing really in terms of contract talks. Possibly that’s something that my agent and the club will do in the near future. I’ve really enjoyed my time at Leicester and if it’s an option that comes available it’s one I would take”
I find that bizarre if true... it’s only just over 2 months before he can start talking to other clubs. Either this is rubbish or the club are truly negligent. He is our best defender by a mile and still has a few years left at the top level in my opinion.
I don't think he's played that well since the Covid shut down, if things go well he won't be first choice by the end of the season with Soyuncu playing with Fofana, I'd give him a new contract to be clear as he is at worst 3rd choice but it depends what he is demanding in wages

IMO he's our second best behind Soyuncu and will likely be behind Fofana soon as well. Having said that, we'd be mad not to offer him a new deal. At the very least it's good to have at least one experienced defender around the squad so either him or Morgan.

He's 33 in a few weeks, on £80k a week, and he's got a history of injuries.

Simply extending terms isn't really in our interest. I would guess he's after the same money for a couple more seasons. I think we should be offering reduced terms in anticipation of him having an increasingly reduced role in the side. Maybe one year, with a further year option if he plays a certain number of matches. I'd also stipulate that he retire from International football to get a new deal.

Given our approach to contracts though, he may well get £100k four year deal.

We gave Matty James a new deal and we haven't offered one to Evans.

Absolutely ****ing mental

He's 33 in a few weeks, on £80k a week, and he's got a history of injuries.

Simply extending terms isn't really in our interest. I would guess he's after the same money for a couple more seasons. I think we should be offering reduced terms in anticipation of him having an increasingly reduced role in the side. Maybe one year, with a further year option if he plays a certain number of matches. I'd also stipulate that he retire from International football to get a new deal.

Given our approach to contracts though, he may well get £100k four year deal.
Broadly agree with that except I hope that we are never, ever, a club that asks our players to step away from international football. If nothing else - young players we're trying to sign such as Forfana can be pointed at a clutch of players such as Barnes, Maddison, and Chilwell and Maguire while they were here, who have made massive steps as players while here and who realised their international dreams. That kind of thing should be massively appealing to those players with the right kind of mental attitude. That's something we can't always judge until they're here, and will help us get the right players in for the future.

IMO our best all out defender. Not as good on the ball compared to Soyuncu. Not as fast as Fofana (who could be better than both). But a better defender than either of them.
Agree with this, bit like Huth not great on the ball or quick, but keeping the ball out the net he's your man, plus likes to occasionally leave his mark on the opposition

IMO our best all out defender. Not as good on the ball compared to Soyuncu. Not as fast as Fofana (who could be better than both). But a better defender than either of them.
...and IMHO better at organising the line.

Good news but I don’t think he’ll be first choice next season in a back 4

If Evans is not first choice next season, then it would be because we will have signed another amazing CB similar to Fofana, or Fofana will have developed very quickly into a sensational CB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4181
5West Brom4372
6Norwich City4371
7Hull City4265
8Coventry City4263