Evans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy Lad

There are no grounds for any of what I’m about to post but it did cross my mind.
For me, Jonny Evans is one of the top 5 centre backs in the league. In my opinion, he still has another 3 years in him at the highest level.
He is now in the last year of his contract with us and Rodgers says he is desperate to hang on to him and hopes the club and his agent can find agreement on a new contract. I suspect these talks have been ongoing for months. He won’t be short of suitors and more than likely has one last pay day left in his career.
During pre season he had ‘personal issues’ and the reasons for those were never disclosed. It occurred to me that there is a possibility that he has had offers from other clubs which LCFC have knocked back due to the lack of cover we have in his position and it’s unsettled him. For example, Man U were touted as being in for him and I think he’d jump at that move (or one like it).
LCFC have a big dilemma here as if he refuses to sign a new deal then we need to sell him in this window. I still think he would command decent money, circa £15m. Could it be that we are in for 2 centre backs as Evans is on his way out? It might not make financial sense for us to let him run his contract down especially in view of our apparent ‘cash strapped’ status.
The next two weeks of the window will be very interesting. It’s the same with Gray, being in the last year of his contract, we have given an ultimatum of sign a new deal or we will try and cash in this window.
Personally I think we should break the bank to sign Evans on a new 3 year deal. Best centre back we’ve had in years. Class above.

Don't think there's any chance we sell him.

We wouldn't get a big fee for him at his age and with 12 months left of his contract. We'd be better off keeping him and losing him for free next summer than selling for £5-10m now.

I suspect he's just wanting to wait, or discussing length of contract. I could see us giving him 2 years, so maybe he's asking for 3 - and with his past history of injuries that would be a risk.

A good point re: contract

suspect this is his last year with us, and as a result we need two CB’s signed this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4490
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363