Evans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miles Away

The best central defender we’ve ever had? I think he is.

Other candidates:

Morgan, Huth, Walsh, Elliott, Cross....Maguire (nah)

and of course Matty Mills, Matt Heath and Brian Carey

If he chipped in with a few more goals I think he possibly would be the best in my life time.

I think Huth pips him to be honest, but he's not far off. Nostalgia tells me that Walsh is the best centre back we have ever had, but that's more to do with his character than ability. Same goes for Big Wes, but for some reason to slightly less degrees. Then of course, there's Jimmy Willis.

Huth and Elliott are the best in my mind, but Elliott maybe my distorted child memory.

Evans is brilliant though and is certainly in the mix. A big argument for Evans vs Huth too is that Evans has basically always done it as our only senior centre back - and Maguire, Soyuncu, Fofana have all looked very good next to him and usually are the ones to take the plaudits but we've seen none are as good when Evans isn't there. As well as often also an inexperienced fullback (Chilwell, JJ, Thomas)

Huth had Morgan with him and Fuchs too - very experienced players, whereas Evans is also coaching on the pitch.

Who do you have above him?
I’d have Huth, he made a total difference when he came in. Evans has better calmer technique defensively. Huth probably couldn’t get away with some of the man handling these days, but he was a threat off every set piece and corner.

Because we have rarely threatened on set pieces this year Evans unfortunately gets marked down.

This is a very tough question, we have been well blessed over the years. I would go along with Gaz though that Evans role in helping others around him gives him the edge. The most intelligent defender we have had, and he is also technically very good on the ball, often spraying passes, and his ball for Iheanacho last night was class!

It’s funny isn’t it how some people on here had dropped him from their chosen starting 11 in recent pre match selections and yet he is the best defender we’ve ever had.
I personally would never drop him due to his defensive nouse as much as his ability.

Huth and Elliott are the best in my mind, but Elliott maybe my distorted child memory.

Evans is brilliant though and is certainly in the mix. A big argument for Evans vs Huth too is that Evans has basically always done it as our only senior centre back - and Maguire, Soyuncu, Fofana have all looked very good next to him and usually are the ones to take the plaudits but we've seen none are as good when Evans isn't there. As well as often also an inexperienced fullback (Chilwell, JJ, Thomas)

Huth had Morgan with him and Fuchs too - very experienced players, whereas Evans is also coaching on the pitch.
If you don’t remember how shit Morgan could be without Huth you’re doing Bobby a disservice. Morgan looked totally composed with Huth next to him, and was frequently wearing roller skates without.

In the time that I’ve been actively following it’s definitely a two horse between Huth and Evans. In spite of what I’ve said above I think Evans is the better of the two.

I absolutely love Bob Huth, but I’ve never seen a footballer want the ball less than him. He wouldn’t be able to play in this system at all.

Both Huth and Evans had an instant impact on our defensive solidity when they came in. We got both of them for about the same price too. There's no way we'd have won the league without Huth and there's no way we would be where we are without Evans. I'm always surprised to see them not included in premier league bargain lists, they are easily two of the biggest bargains we've ever had.

I used to think of Evans as a player like Walsh or Elliott. I really don't think that Steve or Matt would have been able to pull off that tackle Jonny made last night against Palace.

I used to think of Evans as a player like Walsh or Elliott. I really don't think that Steve or Matt would have been able to pull off that tackle Jonny made last night against Palace.

Or the pass to Nacho for the winning goal.

Or the pass to Nacho for the winning goal.
Actually disagree on that one. They were both pretty good footballers. I remember Walshy smacking left-footers into the channel for Joachim on many occasions.

I think if I was going to make the case against Evans, Walsh is the candidate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757