Pre Match Everton v Leicester

Status
Not open for further replies.
When we were on our winning run earlier in the season we looked unbeatable & I thought we would give any side a game, now I can't even see us scoring let alone winning something isn't right & it can't just be because Ricardo is out.
Not sure what formation or who should play but I fear a 0-0 is as good as it gets

Because we have stronger central players than wingers. Playing 5 (or 3) at the back let's us get Nacho in with Vardy while keeping Maddison central

Just to point out that no matter how shit our Wingers are, we always look even worse when playing a narrow system.

The players need to ****ing move for the ball and show some desire, simple as that.

Just to point out that no matter how shit our Wingers are, we always look even worse when playing a narrow system.

The players need to ****ing move for the ball and show some desire, simple as that.
Absolutely agree, I was just about the say the same thing.

Agreed. Playing narrow is a disaster. We narrowed right down after Praet and Perez went off against Chelsea. We looked like a pub team who'd finished second in a competition.

I don't think 3-5-2 with Chilwell and Albrighton wide would make us narrow.

Agree that diamond formations haven't worked, but 3-5-2 would give the wing backs more license to get forwards.

I don't think 3-5-2 with Chilwell and Albrighton wide would make us narrow.

Agree that diamond formations haven't worked, but 3-5-2 would give the wing backs more license to get forwards.
I hear what you're saying Graz, but the reality IMO is that our full backs do best when getting forwards when they can overlap and join in with whoever the wide player is ahead of them. Chilwell in particular doesn't take players on, but even Ricardo, as good as he is, can't do it alone. They benefit greatly from having a wide player there ahead of them, who they can work with or off, rather than having to do it by themselves. That's why when we play in a narrow manner, Chilwell often gets grief, as he checks out of an attack and comes back round, as he has no option to play with. They may be able to "get forwards", but that's not much use if it doesn't lead anywhere.

I said this before the Villa away game in the league, and we won (albeit with a diamond), but I maintain that it doesn't play to our strengths and, despite it working that day, I can't recall another occasion when it has.

The concept of a diamond, compared to a 3-5-2, is the same in regards to the fullbacks. Yes, they may start slightly further forwards and have another defender behind them to cover, but we lose the overload out wide and end up like England in the Euros in 2016 against Iceland, when we looked devoid of ideas.

While I'm on my soapbox, I don't like it when we play with two defensive minded central midfielders either (especially against Brighton at home :013:). We lose whatever creativity we might have and become too pedestrian. Where's the energy we started the season with gone?

Well our current formation of 4-1-2-3 is hardly a success story right now, so I’m up for mixing it up. The way some are reacting it’s like people are suggesting a formation change on the back of 10 wins in a row.

The formation isn't the issue though.

I'm suggesting a change in attitude / work rate and desire. I guarantee you those things will bring far more success than changing the formation.

If we can't get more of those three things then we are as good as ****ed and might as well play 10 defenders.

the fact we only have 1 winger that can be effective, and he is highly inconsistent (had Barnes shown the touch and composure he had vs Villa Sunday we likely would have been 2 or 3-0 up early on) and a second striker "doing a job" on the other wing means some of us are looking for solutions.

as a temporary measure adding a 3rd CB could work for us in different ways

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758