Excuse me, train persons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Maniac

Alzheimers sufferer
I've been asked to find the cheapest way to St Ives from Leicester for one 21-year-old lady on the 6th of April, returning 9th April. Ideas?

I know you asked about trains but what about flying to Newquay from EMA and then a bus to St Ives?

cheaper and quicker to go Spain :)

Cheapest possible price on Advance tickets for the through journey would be £75. We're talking about Good Friday and Easter Monday though so you won't be surprised to find all the cheapest fares gone.

Cheapest I can see is £49 out and £51 back - total £100. At that level it will be cheaper to buy a railcard, take the 34% discount (and still have the card available for another 51½ weeks).

Buy the card here <http://www.16-25railcard.co.uk/online> with a 10% discount. Fare would then be £32.35 out and £33.65 back - total expenditure = £91.20.

Sounds expensive but it is a long journey - over 8 hours each way.

These fares are via London and include the Underground between StP and Paddington. I will look to see if there any cheaper fares, either via Birmingham or by 'splitting' tickets and get back to you if I find anything.

Sorry for the delay in replying; I've been out all day.

Last edited:
I know you asked about trains but what about flying to Newquay from EMA and then a bus to St Ives?

These flights are only in the Summer. :icon_wink

I will look to see if there any cheaper fares, either via Birmingham or by 'splitting' tickets and get back to you if I find anything.

No luck, I'm afraid. Travelling via London and splitting the journey results in significantly higher prices. All the cheap tickets on Cross Country journeys via Birmingham have gone and even if they hadn't there are engineering works on the east side of New Street which would require a trip on a rail replacement bus service between there and Coleshill Parkway.

Can't you box her up and ask Notts Fox for a cheap quote?

No luck, I'm afraid. Travelling via London and splitting the journey results in significantly higher prices. All the cheap tickets on Cross Country journeys via Birmingham have gone and even if they hadn't there are engineering works on the east side of New Street which would require a trip on a rail replacement bus service between there and Coleshill Parkway.

Can't you box her up and ask Notts Fox for a cheap quote?
:icon_lol:

Cheapest possible price on Advance tickets for the through journey would be £75. We're talking about Good Friday and Easter Monday though so you won't be surprised to find all the cheapest fares gone.

Cheapest I can see is £49 out and £51 back - total £100. At that level it will be cheaper to buy a railcard, take the 34% discount (and still have the card available for another 51½ weeks).

Buy the card here <http://www.16-25railcard.co.uk/online> with a 10% discount. Fare would then be £32.35 out and £33.65 back - total expenditure = £91.20.

Sounds expensive but it is a long journey - over 8 hours each way.

These fares are via London and include the Underground between StP and Paddington. I will look to see if there any cheaper fares, either via Birmingham or by 'splitting' tickets and get back to you if I find anything.

Sorry for the delay in replying; I've been out all day.

You have to go in to a Station I presume to get the railcard as theres not enough time to get it online.
Via Birmingham and Taunton would have been my thoughts but if there is that extra complication I expect that makes that idea too long winded.

It's only near Cambridge. I'll drive her for £40 each way :icon_wink

You have to go in to a Station I presume to get the railcard as theres not enough time to get it online.

Railcards bought online come very quickly. My last one arrived about 36 hours after I bought it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Liverpool615
2Manchester C  614
3Arsenal614
4Chelsea613
5Aston Villa512
6Fulham611
7Newcastle611
8Brighton69
9Nottm F69